Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

The BBC commentator really grinds my gears with his references to Chew-nisia. 

I think your taking it far chew seriously mate :D

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think your taking it far chew seriously mate :D

I’m just thankful we don’t have to play them on Chews-day, coz I think I’d end up shooting someone... :mad:

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

If England progress much further, I wonder if it might feed into the mood over Brexit/national politics one way or another? I know that I might attract some hate for saying that, but they do reckon that the 1970 general election was partly timed to take advantage of public optimism over England at the World Cup - which then backfired after they lost 2-3 to Germany just before the election. It could affect the public mood in either direction (and differently in Wales/Scotland!) - or I could be talking complete bollocks! :D 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/apr/21/world-cup-1970-harold-wilson

If we win it I imagine the BBC have already got the headline ready! - ENGLAND WIN WORLD CUP - DESPITE BREXIT" lol

If you could plan it, an election a couple of days after England winning the World Cup would be perfect, the national mood would never be better.

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

If we win it I imagine the BBC have already got the headline ready! - ENGLAND WIN WORLD CUP - DESPITE BREXIT" lol

If you could plan it, an election a couple of days after England winning the World Cup would be perfect, the national mood would never be better.

A bit like when the public were told that they had 'won' the second world war - euphoria and partying ensued on a crest of a nationalistic wave but the reality of what was to come economically was not a playing field for winners.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

A bit like when the public were told that they had 'won' the second world war - euphoria and partying ensued on a crest of a nationalistic wave but the reality of what was to come economically was not a playing field for winners.

Lads! Lads! My fault for raising it, but I think we should take any further discussion of the World Cup influencing Brexit/politics to the politics thread to avoid pissing off people who come here, in all innocence, to have a good moan about whatever...

:D

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

England won’t even come close to winning it. 

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Lads! Lads! My fault for raising it, but I think we should take any further discussion of the World Cup influencing Brexit/politics to the politics thread to avoid pissing off people who come here, in all innocence, to have a good moan about whatever...

:D

I actually thought/assumed this was the politics thread lol

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I can't remember what it's called but there is a great book about the election of 1945. Interestingly, a lot similar to 2016, the Tories tried a run a campaign based on the leader rather than the party.

Despite winning the war the public were still pissed off with the appeasement of Hitler by Chamberlain and they had little trust in Churchill on domestic policy, despite him obviosuly being seen as a great war time leader. Labour support was massive in the army as well for many reasons, varying from the treatment of the soldiers after WW1 by the government to the desire for more radical social policy.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can't remember what it's called but there is a great book about the election of 1945. Interestingly, a lot similar to 2016, the Tories tried a run a campaign based on the leader rather than the party.

Despite winning the war the public were still pissed off with the appeasement of Hitler by Chamberlain and they had little trust in Churchill on domestic policy, despite him obviosuly being seen as a great war time leader. Labour support was massive in the army as well for many reasons, varying from the treatment of the soldiers after WW1 by the government to the desire for more radical social policy.

John O Farrell does a good bit on (although a bit lefty biased obviously) in his book (good on audiobook too) A History of Modern Britain (Or 50 years of Upper Class Idiots Making The Same Stupid Mistakes... or something like that.) I also enjoyed his latest book/audiobook on his life as a labour supporter - quite funny.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sounds an interesting book. If the author/title occur to you, let us know. I might be interested in reading that - though I already have a pile of books sitting unread.

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sounds an interesting book. If the author/title occur to you, let us know. I might be interested in reading that - though I already have a pile of books sitting unread.

I have a pile of about 50 - just not enough time to get through them, I get annoyed with myself if I have say doing nothing for an hour rather than reading.

It's this one, unfortunately seems to have gone out of print now, well worth checking the local library though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Dawn-General-Election-1945/dp/1842751379

42 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

31 minutes ago, MattP said:

I have a pile of about 50 - just not enough time to get through them, I get annoyed with myself if I have say doing nothing for an hour rather than reading.

It's this one, unfortunately seems to have gone out of print now, well worth checking the local library though.

There are a couple of (expensive) copies on Ebay, but it appears to be available as a pdf:

http://pdfgmap.info/1842751379/a-new-dawn-the-general-election-of-1945.html

Also, this pdf deals with the same subject:

http://www.labour-heritage.com/lhbulletinspring2015.pdf

And this:

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/the-general-election-1945

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

John O Farrell does a good bit on (although a bit lefty biased obviously) in his book (good on audiobook too) A History of Modern Britain (Or 50 years of Upper Class Idiots Making The Same Stupid Mistakes... or something like that.) I also enjoyed his latest book/audiobook on his life as a labour supporter - quite funny.

I tell you what, although his writing style takes a bit of getting used to (it proper got on my tits at first) his books are great for conveying content that you actually remember. I learned far more from reading that than wading through 3 volumes of Simon Schama's History of Britain, which became very much a 'I've started so I'll finish' exercise. Loved the TV programme though

44 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

I find it refreshing that people still read - sometimes I think I'm the only one.

fu cking delivery companies. came home early from work because they gave me the window of 1-2pm. half 3 and he's "15 minutes away", then 5 minutes later 

"sorry we will not be delivering your parcel today as our driver could not find your address"

are you fu cking messing 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Sat in maccie ds drive through at lunch time getting a mcflurry, see some woman pull up while they're obviously busy and immediately start clicking her fingers at the box. What sort of bellend does that? 

Someone who deserves to get food that's been dropped on the floor.

Edited by MattP

8 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

fu cking delivery companies. came home early from work because they gave me the window of 1-2pm. half 3 and he's "15 minutes away", then 5 minutes later 

"sorry we will not be delivering your parcel today as our driver could not find your address"

are you fu cking messing 

Ambush the cvnt tomorrow with styrofoam chunks

21 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

are you fu cking messing 

Had an attempted delivery half an hour ago. I've not gone out knowing it was on it's way, missing out on all this sun. I can see where they pull up, my kitchen window is right next to main door of the flats where the intercom is, I know they didn't even try.

Just told Hermes that I'm not in tomorrow, so they better get their courier do his job properly and come back today. Useless *****. If you're gonna cheat the system, don't do it at a property when they clearly see you haven't tried.

20 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Had an attempted delivery half an hour ago. I've not gone out knowing it was on it's way, missing out on all this sun. I can see where they pull up, my kitchen window is right next to main door of the flats where the intercom is, I know they didn't even try.

Just told Hermes that I'm not in tomorrow, so they better get their courier do his job properly and come back today. Useless *****. If you're gonna cheat the system, don't do it at a property when they clearly see you haven't tried.

jokers aren’t they, basically the exact same as my situation. i could see he was behind schedule on the tracker, said between 1 and 2 but at about half 3 he was still 5 deliveries away and then it just switched to “couldn’t locate your address”. aka he was running late and wanted to go home. 

had a moan and they’ve given me a one hour window tomorrow morning that i asked for so here’s hoping. 

13 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

jokers aren’t they, basically the exact same as my situation. i could see he was behind schedule on the tracker, said between 1 and 2 but at about half 3 he was still 5 deliveries away and then it just switched to “couldn’t locate your address”. aka he was running late and wanted to go home. 

had a moan and they’ve given me a one hour window tomorrow morning that i asked for so here’s hoping. 

They just came back. They've got another one for me, but didn't bring it today they'll bring that tomorrow. If you've got it, why would you leave it? Only two little packages.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

They just came back. They've got another one for me, but didn't bring it today they'll bring that tomorrow. If you've got it, why would you leave it? Only two little packages.

The driver gets paid twice that way.

Hermes are atrocious, I've had loads of parcels just dumped outside my door without them being told to do so. The best was when they put a parcel in a ****ing full recycling bin on collection day.

DPD are the kings of the delivery game, love them guys. I've paid extra to get some stuff delivered by them over Hermes before.

• Like 2