Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 03/08/2018 at 12:08, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I don't know if it's the same company but you used to get All Day Breakfast and a "Mixed Grill" one, neither are good cuisine but they're pretty handy if you are camping and have no means of keeping actual meat cool for long periods of time a rabid bear at bay. Tins hurt.

3 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

UK wide?

UK and Europe.

It was when I was working to save money for travelling - driving trucks paid better than most unskilled work and it was always available. EU regulations ruined that game eventually by restricting the number of hours you could work. I had a forklift licence too for similar reasons.

Just now, Buce said:

UK and Europe.

It was when I was working to save money for travelling - driving trucks paid better than most unskilled work and it was always available. EU regulations ruined that game eventually by restricting the number of hours you could work. I had a forklift licence too for similar reasons.

That's interesting. I once drove from Somerset to Bulgaria and back in a week and the incidents and memories from that trip make it seem like it must have taken 3 months. It must have been a pretty interesting thing to do at times (forgetting the incessant driving of course). Even more so given the years you did it, you don't have to go back far in time for the World to become a much larger place. Very few people travelled that much even 40 years ago.

I'm also interested in what you say about the regulations. Do you think the regs are just unreasonable and should be altered so people can make a better living, or are you of the opinion that they shouldn't be in place at all?

I only ask as I have no experience of long haul driving really but, during my drive, I was so tired I'm pretty sure I was hallucinating at times. Pretty stupid looking back on it but I'd never really done that before and just kept going.

26 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

That's interesting. I once drove from Somerset to Bulgaria and back in a week and the incidents and memories from that trip make it seem like it must have taken 3 months. It must have been a pretty interesting thing to do at times (forgetting the incessant driving of course). Even more so given the years you did it, you don't have to go back far in time for the World to become a much larger place. Very few people travelled that much even 40 years ago.

I was having a conversation with @Alf Bentley about this, a while ago (I forget which thread). Back in the late Seventies, I spent the best part of a year walking through Spain and although tourism had begun to change the coastal landscape, inland it was like a Third World nation with little or no modern infrastructure (I must have been in a hundred villages that were only connected by mule tracks through the mountains). Franco had only just died and the regions that had opposed him during the Civil War (Andalucia and the Basque region in particular) had been heavily punished by lack of investment.

I'm also interested in what you say about the regulations. Do you think the regs are just unreasonable and should be altered so people can make a better living, or are you of the opinion that they shouldn't be in place at all?

I only ask as I have no experience of long haul driving really but, during my drive, I was so tired I'm pretty sure I was hallucinating at times. Pretty stupid looking back on it but I'd never really done that before and just kept going.

No, despite what I said about it killing the game, the changes were long overdue - it wasn't just the safety issues of drivers doing long days, it was also about protecting drivers from unscrupulous bosses.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

I was having a conversation with @Alf Bentley about this, a while ago (I forget which thread). Back in the late Seventies, I spent the best part of a year walking through Spain and although tourism had begun to change the coastal landscape, inland it was like a Third World nation with little or no modern infrastructure (I must have been in a hundred villages that were only connected by mule tracks through the mountains). Franco had only just died and the regions that had opposed him during the Civil War (Andalucia and The Basque region in particular) had been heavily punished by lack of investment.

The Mrs and I spent two weeks with a family we know who stayed near Milan just 15 years ago. Whilst the Cities were similar to ours, the villages in the countryside seemed like they were 30 years behind. I know the countryside, by it's nature, is often less advanced than a city but I was surprised at the enormous disparity between the two.

I have to say, I was also surprised by Italian TV. It was like 1970's British TV. Lots of nod, nod, wink, wink humour, women walking around in bikini's for no understandable reason, generally pretty, huge chested women presenting. It took me back to my youth.

6 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

The Mrs and I spent two weeks with a family we know who stayed near Milan just 15 years ago. Whilst the Cities were similar to ours, the villages in the countryside seemed like they were 30 years behind. I know the countryside, by it's nature, is often less advanced than a city but I was surprised at the enormous disparity between the two.

I have to say, I was also surprised by Italian TV. It was like 1970's British TV. Lots of nod, nod, wink, wink humour, women walking around in bikini's for no understandable reason, generally pretty, huge chested women presenting. It took me back to my youth.

And people want to leave the EU! It makes no sense to me

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Personally, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

A lot that was good has been lost in our rush for 'progress'.

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

Save for some interesting-ish writers and a handful of post-war artists and photographers, modern Italian culture is a bit of a wasteland. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Down_blouse_upskirt.gif

maxresdefault-3.jpg

raw

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

How can I be out of reps at 3pm? Do they work on central American time zones?

The fact I have no understanding of the simple rep system constantly grinds my gears.

I think you get 30 in a rolling 24 hour period mate. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

See, @Max Wall mate you could have just quoted me and said thanks rather than wasting a rep. No wonder you always run out! lol 

(thanks anyway like :thumbup:)

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I knew about the 30. It's the time I'm unsure of mate. Nothing worse than getting up in a completely different frame of mind and not being able to rep everyone I was arguing with when miserable the evening before ;)

By rolling, does that mean if you registered at 5pm on the site, your rolling 24hrs will always end at 5pm? Excuse my ignorance btw, I genuinely have no idea.