Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Nothing Phone (2) from Amazon.  Reduced from 699.00 to 569.00.

It's replacing my OnePlus 6T which has been an epic phone, but at 5 years old the battery isn't what it once was and the charging port is a little temperamental now.

On 18/11/2023 at 08:14, nnfox said:

I've taken the plunge and ordered the Nothing Phone (2) from Amazon.  Reduced from 699.00 to 569.00.

It's replacing my OnePlus 6T which has been an epic phone, but at 5 years old the battery isn't what it once was and the charging port is a little temperamental now.

Absolutely love the look of the Nothing Phones, waiting for another generation or so before I jump. 

Still using the 8pro, hitting about 3 years now and honestly it's the best phone I've ever brought 

I don't really understand those Nothing phones. Seems the only difference is they have some lights on the back. Which I wouldn't want any way. The spec seems very average for the price too. 

I had a look today and the Xiaomi Redmi K60 looks a lot of phone for the price of £300, with flagship specs apart from some camera features. 1080p@960fps or 720p@1920fps would be great for recording your golf swing! 

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_k60-11975.php

The unexpected thing about the Nothing is that the lights gimmick indicates the very useful feature (for me anyway) of silencing my phone and not distracting me when I'm trying to concentrate. 

One might reasonably argue that I could just silence it, but the act of turning it over takes the screen away from my notice and the lack of vibration also means that notifications don't register with me. So a rather handy psychological gain. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Bear said:

I don't really understand those Nothing phones. Seems the only difference is they have some lights on the back. Which I wouldn't want any way. The spec seems very average for the price too. 

I had a look today and the Xiaomi Redmi K60 looks a lot of phone for the price of £300, with flagship specs apart from some camera features. 1080p@960fps or 720p@1920fps would be great for recording your golf swing! 

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_k60-11975.php

It's run by a former employee at OnePlus, so it's basically just OPPO/OnePlus repackaged into another phone. The clear back and lights is just their gimmick to pull interest and make them stand out in a hugely competitive market.

On 17/11/2023 at 07:46, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well I'm not sure what happened there, but they cut the price to £319 in the Black Friday sale, which I was happy with (no deal on Amazon yet), then when I tried to apply all the discount codes at checkout that were supposedly on offer, I somehow got it down to £254.

There must be a Chinese secret agent that REALLY thinks I'm a cool guy!!!

Here I am vainly replying to my own post, to just update you all that I've got it and I'm very happy with it.

120w charging is bonkers - a full charge in about half an hour.  Screen is very nice and I'm glad to have a headphone socket because it sounds GREAT through my wired earbuds - certainly better than my last phone from the same firm.

Blue and white models now back in stock as well and I'd say very good value at £319 even if you can't get it for less like I did

On 20/11/2023 at 10:31, UniFox21 said:

It's run by a former employee at OnePlus, so it's basically just OPPO/OnePlus repackaged into another phone. The clear back and lights is just their gimmick to pull interest and make them stand out in a hugely competitive market.

To be fair, Carl Pei was a bit more than an employee, he was one of the founders.

Fwiw I am adjusting to the Nothing Phone.  It feels more premium than my old OnePlus but I admit there were little things with OnePlus's Oxygen OS that I prefer to the Nothing OS.  I am getting used to it though and 5 years of familiarity wasn't likely to seamlessly transfer to a new device.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Raj said:

Daughter wants an iphone 11 pro.

Normally get reconditioned ones, any thoughts/advice?

I feel your pain, my 17 year daughter wants an iPhone too. I've told her I'll disown her, any half wit who chooses Apple shit over the far superior Android has no place in my family.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I feel your pain, my 17 year daughter wants an iPhone too. I've told her I'll disown her, any half wit who chooses Apple shit over the far superior Android has no place in my family.

Will you tell my daughter that...I tried and she said "only saddos like you and mum have Samsung's!!!"

• Haha 1

I started implanting the idea that he'd never have an iPhone in my son's head about 3 years before we were ever even thinking about getting him a phone and to be honest that's worked a treat.

I bought him a Moto something or other and because most of his friends are rocking older model iPhones from 4 years ago a new cheapo phone doesn't look out of place

32 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Correct. I’m under 60 so not quite old enough for a Samsung just yet.

I've had to familiarise myself with Apple products to provide the pensioners in my family with tech support.

In fairness, I think iOS probably is a bit easier to use from a standing start, but still not easy enough for these old f#£@ers.

The other thing that gets on my wick about this as because they're all tight they buy older tiny models and as my eyesight's well on the way to being as bad as theirs and I've got massive hands it's like Gulliver has completed his travels and is now doing IT for pensioners which has NOT been turned into a well loved story like the first bit was

12 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Correct. I’m under 60 so not quite old enough for a Samsung just yet.

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

Or you're too much of a simpleton to use a proper customisable operating system and not Fisher Price's My First OS? :thumbup:

😎😎😎😎😎