Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Can't you just set up your lock screen to unlock using your face and then look at it? Dunno if it works from that distance. As far as I'm aware there isn't a voice command for unlock.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Surely there's a driving mode in the lock screen settings, so it stays unlocked during all navigation? 

That seems like something obvious that needs to be included if it isn't. 

I'm a bit confused as to what the current version of Android is and isn't supposed to do. My old phone running an older version would occasionally spring into life and say on screen that it had noticed I was driving and I think offer to go into driving mode.

The current one doesn't do this, but does have an option in the settings which allows voice to activate navigation when driving, although when I went for a quick spin around the block it didn't seem to work.

If you remember to, you can say "Google, let's drive" when you get in the car, which, providing the screen is unlocked when you do it, means it will stay unlocked, as well as making you sound like a knob. If you forget, you're back to square one

The Xiaomi Mi10 Lite 5G is now a mere £249 on Amazon at the minute.

Apart from the annoying thing about being unable to make my Bluetooth car stereo a trusted device (so it unlocks automatically in its presence) it's not missed a beat so far, although the wife's Pixel 4a undoubtedly takes better low light pictures (but is £100 more).

Guessing this is about as cheap as 5G gets?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

I like the look of the new iPhones but I've spent years using touch id and the home button, I can see myself becoming frustrated with face id and no home button

I though that but after 10 minutes was totally at home with the new one ...   and would never go back ..   it’s soooooo much easier and convenient.     Go for it ! ...  I promise you’ll agree with me.   :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

I though that but after 10 minutes was totally at home with the new one ...   and would never go back ..   it’s soooooo much easier and convenient.     Go for it ! ...  I promise you’ll agree with me.   :thumbup:

Face ID is shit. You have to remove your mask for it to work 😷 

52 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Here's a great deal...  Order a Google Pixel 4a (5G) direct from the Google Store for £349 and receive a free set of Bose QC 35 II worth around £250

https://store.google.com/

That would be a great deal, but it's the non-5G Pixel 4 that is £349 and it isn't included in the offer. The 5G version is £499. 

Edited by potter3

• 1 month later...

After gloating 2 months ago that my 2 year and 7 month old Pixel 2 would easily last another year, it has finally failed me. Sort of.

On Friday it just decided it didn't fancy charging. Since then it takes a good 10 or 15 minutes of wire waggling to get it to stay charged. I bought a new charger last night but that doesn't do the trick either, so it's obviously the phone, not the charger that is the issue. Could've carried on battling and prelonged its life for a few months extra. It still works fine and it does charge eventually, but life is too short and I'm too busy to be faffing around trying to get my phone on charge for over an hour each week.  

2 years and 9 months is still a good innings. 

I've just ordered the Pixel 5 direct from the Google Store. They offer Klarna, so 0% finance just means the cost is spread over 2 years at no added expense. With any luck that will last a good 3 years, the 3rd year of which will be sim only payments.

Got it in 'sorta sage' which looks pretty swanky. Just looking forward to the improved battery life more than anything. I'm sure the camera will have improved as well. 

Now to see if I can get any cash back by selling my Pixel 2 for parts.

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

After gloating 2 months ago that my 2 year and 7 month old Pixel 2 would easily last another year, it has finally failed me. Sort of.

On Friday it just decided it didn't fancy charging. Since then it takes a good 10 or 15 minutes of wire waggling to get it to stay charged. I bought a new charger last night but that doesn't do the trick either, so it's obviously the phone, not the charger that is the issue. Could've carried on battling and prelonged its life for a few months extra. It still works fine and it does charge eventually, but life is too short and I'm too busy to be faffing around trying to get my phone on charge for over an hour each week.  

2 years and 9 months is still a good innings. 

I've just ordered the Pixel 5 direct from the Google Store. They offer Klarna, so 0% finance just means the cost is spread over 2 years at no added expense. With any luck that will last a good 3 years, the 3rd year of which will be sim only payments.

Got it in 'sorta sage' which looks pretty swanky. Just looking forward to the improved battery life more than anything. I'm sure the camera will have improved as well. 

Now to see if I can get any cash back by selling my Pixel 2 for parts.

Have you tried cleaning out the charging port? Sometimes the fluff that finds its way in from your pocket builds up and gets compacted to the extent that it stops the cable going in all the way. The problem is finding something narrow enough to actually get in there to poke around

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Have you tried cleaning out the charging port? Sometimes the fluff that finds its way in from your pocket builds up and gets compacted to the extent that it stops the cable going in all the way. The problem is finding something narrow enough to actually get in there to poke around

I just used the tool for getting the sim card out, or use a paperclip. My 6s stopped charging many moons ago, the usb would wobble inside the charging port and it was due to all the fluff inside the port. I was in a classroom at the time getting it all out and everyone I was sat with couldn't believe how much was coming out. I think it's mostly fluff from new jogging bottoms and stuff like that.

42 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah I've had that before and that was the first thing I tried this time. Managed to get a fair bit out with a pair of tweezers but no luck.

Bolded: story of my life

• 3 months later...