Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Are mobiles still locked? I'm looking to get the missus a sim only deal, the best seem to be on Vodafone atm and we're all on ee. 

I believe so but I'm not entirely sure. I think that if you take the phone to a Vodafone outlet they'll sell you a sim and unlock the phone for you. 

Google is your go-to for this I think.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Considering not upgrading this year as the S10 is such a good phone.  The S21 is not better and S22 not worth the current outlay.  Will stick and go sim only for the time being.

You've reached that age... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/04/2022 at 22:03, Zear0 said:

You've reached that age... 

Ended up going for the SIM only deal.  30GB data for 15 a mth.  Got Disney+ thrown in for free.

The S20 and S21 are not worth the upgrade from the S10 and the S22 is still a stupid price considering how long it has been out.

The other slight annoyance with the newer models of phone is the fact that the headphone jack no longer exists either.  So it's a no from me lol

• 3 months later...
On 09/09/2021 at 12:50, Haywood_6 said:

Got a One Plus Nord 2 this week. Very good very nice

How are you getting on with the phone mate? Have you still got it?

My lad has asked for a OnePlus Nord CE2 for his birthday but must admit I've never heard of them.

Seems like a lot of phone and features for the money!

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My lad has asked for a OnePlus Nord CE2 for his birthday but must admit I've never heard of them.

Quite well. I've had two One Plus phones before this one, and they've never let me down. They have got more expensive. But the speed of them is good and the Camera is very decent as well. But the best part about them is the fast charging. Takes less than 20 mins for a full charge. So I would say treat him  ;)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I bought a OnePlus 6T back in 2018.  I'd always religiously upgraded my phone every two years but it's still going strong and I have no intention of changing it anytime soon.  The only thing I would say is that OnePlus have gone a bit more mainstream than what they once were and have partnered with Oppo - another Chinese firm.  OnePlus built a reputation of producing really solid flagship rivalling phones at mid-range prices, now their flagship phones are more flagship priced, which is a shame, but the Nord range are amongst the best mid-range phones you can get. 

Amongst all of those changes, OnePlus's founder, Carl Pei, jumped ship and formed a new tech company called Nothing.  The Nothing(1) phone has recently been released and looks decent and worth a look.  I could be tempted with the next Nothing phone if reviews are good in 12 months. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nnfox said:

I bought a OnePlus 6T back in 2018.  I'd always religiously upgraded my phone every two years but it's still going strong and I have no intention of changing it anytime soon.  The only thing I would say is that OnePlus have gone a bit more mainstream than what they once were and have partnered with Oppo - another Chinese firm.  OnePlus built a reputation of producing really solid flagship rivalling phones at mid-range prices, now their flagship phones are more flagship priced, which is a shame, but the Nord range are amongst the best mid-range phones you can get. 

Amongst all of those changes, OnePlus's founder, Carl Pei, jumped ship and formed a new tech company called Nothing.  The Nothing(1) phone has recently been released and looks decent and worth a look.  I could be tempted with the next Nothing phone if reviews are good in 12 months. 

Same boat here, I've had the 8 Pro for about 18 months now. Absolutely love it, but agree OnePlus is moving more to appeal the main audience. The Nords are really good phones for the prices too, lot of tech for the price they have. 

Nothing phone did look brilliant, hoping next few iterations will make it even better. 

How good is the Virgin network in Leicestershire? I've been with EE for a good few years as it was the only option in our previous location. Now I've moved and have more choice.  I've not upgraded for a few years either, with Covid closing stores and I like to see a phone first. I can get a Samsung S21 on Virgin for £10 a month less than I'm currently paying EE for my S9+. Feels a no brainer, if the network is good. 

4 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

How good is the Virgin network in Leicestershire? I've been with EE for a good few years as it was the only option in our previous location. Now I've moved and have more choice.  I've not upgraded for a few years either, with Covid closing stores and I like to see a phone first. I can get a Samsung S21 on Virgin for £10 a month less than I'm currently paying EE for my S9+. Feels a no brainer, if the network is good. 

I think virgin use the Vodafone network now don't they? They used to use EE but switch fairly recently. Might be remembering wrong though.

If you can get confirmation on that, then I wouldn't bother. I switched from EE to Vodafone because it was cheaper, constantly have connection problems now. 100% switching back when this contract is up.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I think virgin use the Vodafone network now don't they? They used to use EE but switch fairly recently. Might be remembering wrong though.

If you can get confirmation on that, then I wouldn't bother. I switched from EE to Vodafone because it was cheaper, constantly have connection problems now. 100% switching back when this contract is up.

Virgin were with EE, then moved to Vodafone, but have cancelled the Vodafone contract and are shifting to the O2 network.

If you want to avoid EE, then also steer clear of BT Mobile, Utility Warehouse and Plusnet.

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Virgin were with EE, then moved to Vodafone, but have cancelled the Vodafone contract and are shifting to the O2 network.

If you want to avoid EE, then also steer clear of BT Mobile, Utility Warehouse and Plusnet.

Thanks. I'm not unhappy with the EE coverage, just trying to get my monthly costs down and EE can't match the Virgin package. Vodafone seem to have the worst coverage, which isn't encouraging, although if they are moving to O2 that would probably be fine. 

• 4 weeks later...

So i have the huawei P30 Pro. Had it for over 3 years i would say. I was thinking of finally getting an upgrade but annoyingly they arent doing contracts for the P40 or P50 pro. I presume due to the ongoing legal battles.

I really dont want to go back to Iphone, So i was looking at the Oppo.

Does anyone here have an Oppo and is it a good phone? Ive really liked my Huawei and fancy sticking with Android

Just now, Lcfcbl said:

I've had an Oppo since May having always been Samsung before. It's been fine, impressive battery life and charges up in no time.

Thats pretty much what i was hoping for. The Huawei battery life has been really good and the charging time is so quick. My wife had a Samsung years ago which i hated. So i am fully turned off by any Samsung phone lol 

Im still thinking though to hold fire on getting a new phone whilst my phone is still going strong. Dont fancy going back up to £40 a month for a phone

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I have had a Xiaomi Mi 10 for the last few years and it's great. Same spec as high end phones but half the price. 

I've got a Mi10 Lite 5G, and have just had the battery replaced under warranty just before it ran out so it's running like new now.

Hopefully I'll get at least another year out of it, by which time it'll have cost me about seven quid a month (not including SIM deal).

Some people moan about it not being stock Android but I don't think they mess about with it anymore than Samsung do and I actually quite like most of Xiaomi's own apps 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Does anyone here have an Oppo and is it a good phone? Ive really liked my Huawei and fancy sticking with Android

Yep, I've had an Oppo Reno4 for a year now with no problems, it was £240 for a 5G phone with a decent screen, incredibly quick charging (30 minutes from flat to 100%) and 8GB of RAM. It's been brilliant and when it dies I'll be getting whatever their latest model is to replace it

I've had Chinese Android phones since the days where you had to order them through iffy websites and wait 8 weeks for shipping and have been through lots of brands in that time. Some awful, but Oppo is definitely one of the best - apart from reliability and value/performance, it's the fact that ColorOS is so close to vanilla Android you can barely tell the difference. A lot of Chinese manufacturers butcher the OS for no apparent reason, some to the point where you can't access the app drawer without installing third party launchers first, removing basic Android features, replacing all Google apps with dreadful homemade versions - I even had a Xiaomi once that had adverts on the lockscreen! Oppo bloatware is a minimum, for example you can't uninstall their photo/calculator/clock apps but that's about my only complaint - also takes pretty poor photos in low light but if you need that then you're probably looking at paying £500+ for a phone elsewhere that doesn't offer a lot else

• 4 months later...

My beloved Huawei has peaked and started it's voyage down the technological cliff. As much as I would love to continue to be spied on, I'm not seeing anywhere credible sell them in this country anymore. Would happily get another P30 Pro if I could. 

Anybody got a Google phone? I'm with Sky and there's very little choice to upgrade to except an iPhone (no) and Samsung (not again). Just want some immense battery life and a nice camera