Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

On 06/12/2023 at 09:09, FoyleFox said:

I'll admit 10 to 15 years ago I was definitely in the having the latest model of Samsung camp. I looked forward to my upgrade every 2 years to get the latest technology. In the last 5 the upgrade costs have rocketed, it's £50 not £10 a month and the big problem is that there aren't any massive differences in models. The new stuff they advertise is stuff you're really not going to be using every day. There were a good 10 years where tech moved forward massively and you noticed big changes but there's limited movement now. 

My last contact expired during lockdown so I couldn't change,  when I finally got to upgrade, I'd missed various phone releases. I decided that the previous years model for £50+ a month less was just a good as the current version and costs me £20 a month. And to be honest the S22+ doesn't really do anymore than my S9+ did, except it actully costs less. 

I'm very intrigued by the Z fold though. All the previous flip phones were so awful and rarely worked properly, if they've rectified that I'll be having a look next year. 

I'm definitely over needing the latest model but will stick with the premium branding of Samsung, I need some standards, otherwise I might was well give up on life and buy a Kia 😉

I think you're right. 

In the past few years, the "flagship" phones have been including more and more tech that just really isn't needed, used, or doesn't matter to the vast majority of people.

Yet so many will upgrade straight away to the latest design or latest version and continue paying extortionate contracts

33 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I'm with O2 after being with EE for years and I've had a 5G signal for over a year now. I get a decent strong signal inside my house too. Usually 4 bars out of 5. Speed tests usually give it as around 80-90mbps downspeed and 5ish up.

Not had a 5G contract with EE yet. 

5G Standalone (proper 5G) should be double that speed.  You're probably picking up 4G+ which is marketed as 5G.  5G SA is being rolled out now in some towns and cities.  

I'm on O2 and my phone says 5G, but it's not true 5G, it's 4G+ (technically 5G Non-Standalone)

16 minutes ago, nnfox said:

5G Standalone (proper 5G) should be double that speed.  You're probably picking up 4G+ which is marketed as 5G.  5G SA is being rolled out now in some towns and cities.  

I'm on O2 and my phone says 5G, but it's not true 5G, it's 4G+ (technically 5G Non-Standalone)

OK. My phone also says 4G+ at the top as well at times. 

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

OK. My phone also says 4G+ at the top as well at times. 

5G NSA is 5G propped up by the 4G network.  4G+ and 5G NSA are basically the same thing.  Effectively the speeds are limited to the capacity of the 4G network.  Pure 5G, 5G SA, has only relatively recently started to be rolled out.  

In Northampton, for example, 5G SA was installed on the Vodafone network in one small corner of the town around July/August.  

I think I'm right in saying that the first 5G SA voice call (requiring both parties to be connected to 5G SA) only happened in September and that was on EE.

It will be a while before every town and city will have comprehensive 5G SA coverage across all four networks.  Rural locations... Who knows?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nnfox said:

Lots of confusion and creative marketing going on around 5G.  'Proper' 5G requires a whole new network infrastructure and has only started to be rolled out from this summer, so coverage is very patchy.  Fast forward 12 months and most people will see much more coverage as the roll out picks up pace.

Existing '5G' networks are technically more like 4G+.

Google "5G Standalone".  It feels like the public have been conned a bit.

Also, proper 5G will be expected to be worse indoors as the signal struggles to go through walls.  Existing 4G and 2G signals will continue.  3G will be turned off over the next two or three years.

So it turns out that it was the actual contract that was the issue rather than the SIM card itself, and that not all their contracts are 5G capable, contrary to what they've told me in the past. I've been moved to a new deal that is basically identical and slightly cheaper, so let's see if that makes any difference.

Took the opportunity to switch to full fibre broadband while I'm at it, which will save me £7.50 a month and supposedly more than double our speeds, and binned off the landline while I'm at it.

Naturally this involved being on the phone to them for over an hour but they were very helpful in fairness and for a change seemed to know what they were talking about.

The only mystery to resolve now is how to get Netflix added, which despite apparently being very easy, of course isn't

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Best Network in peoples opinions/experiences?

Currently with EE but getting fed up with their service, seems to be getting slower and worse everywhere I go - anyone else notice/experiencing this? Made even more infuriating when they're telling you they're the "UK's #1 Network for 10 years running" on every advert.

I did try a Sky SIM (Who piggyback off O2?) and that seemed pretty good in most places I went, need to try it for a more prolonged period before I decide to move my number over and look at deals.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Currently with EE but getting fed up with their service, seems to be getting slower and worse everywhere I go - anyone else notice/experiencing this? Made even more infuriating when they're telling you they're the "UK's #1 Network for 10 years running" on every advert.

I did try a Sky SIM (Who piggyback off O2?) and that seemed pretty good in most places I went, need to try it for a more prolonged period before I decide to move my number over and look at deals.

I find EE pretty good for coverage and I think their customer service is excellent when you can actually get through. I'm also well disposed to them at the minute as I've got full fibre broadband with them now which is cheaper than what I had before AND they've randomly given me back the infinite mobile data I used to enjoy except this time it's not a mistake.

The only thing that annoys me is that three years into having 5G phones I've picked up a 5G signal for about 10 minutes in Martinshaw Woods near the motorway despite living in a supposedly strong 5G area, and they don't have a clue why this is

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can get 30 day sims really cheaply. I tried 3 different providers before I settled with Lebara who run off the Vodafone network. I think I pay about £7 pm for 15gb, unlimited text and 5G calls. It’s the best service in my area and with no contract you can change anytime. You’ll have 30 days to see if the network suits your lifestyle or not. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you are in a town or city, most networks are pretty good.  In rural environments they can vary, if that's you then you should ask around or test different sims.  I'm in a village and O2 is fine, Vodafone is patchy and EE/Three almost non existent, but that's not the same everywhere.

EE are currently quite aggressively turning off 3G at the moment... Depending on your device/plan, this could have a bearing on your current experience.

All networks are committed to switching off 3G by next year.  Looks like Vodafone and EE will be first. 

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

I use Giffgaff, think they run off O2, never had a problem with them. Coverage is decent and well priced.

Friends are with BT and they've had no complaints with coverage or price 

Cheers all. My phone is a few years old and i'm probably due a new one, battery is poor and it is slowing but as I said when I tried the Sky SIM the coverage seemed fine and improved dramatically so I don't think the phone is the reason for issues I seem to be having with EE in many places.

I tried the Sky SIM at the KP a few weeks back and whilst it wasn't great (don't think anyone has great coverage there tbh) it worked in some capacity (fairly well in all honesty) compared to non-existent coverage EE provide, couldn't get the line up via my phone, was nearly KO by the time I saw the line up on Monday and that was when it eventually appeared on one of the screens.

Edited by Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely no idea about mobile phones these days, my current one has finally given up, was extremely slow and now the battery has gone.

I am going to have to buy a replacement, pay as you go and I get conflicting advice, my supervisor said buy sim free of Amazon/E-bay but I've no idea what I need.

I used it for calls, texting sometimes and alerts, but it was a really small and old phone.

20 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

I have absolutely no idea about mobile phones these days, my current one has finally given up, was extremely slow and now the battery has gone.

I am going to have to buy a replacement, pay as you go and I get conflicting advice, my supervisor said buy sim free of Amazon/E-bay but I've no idea what I need.

I used it for calls, texting sometimes and alerts, but it was a really small and old phone.

What's your budget? £160 or so will buy you a decent budget phone, a pay monthly SIM that will suit all but the heaviest users for about a tenner a month

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's your budget? £160 or so will buy you a decent budget phone, a pay monthly SIM that will suit all but the heaviest users for about a tenner a month

What would be the best phone makes etc., to buy for that?

Was with EE on my old phone, started that back when you had all the animal user stuff, like Dolphin etc., and had a Sony.

28 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

For a pay-monthly sim that does everything you need (unlimited calls/texts, limited browsing) you're probably best going for one of the online brands rather than a high-street retailer. SMARTY uses the 3 network, and has a £6/month sim with 5GB of data, rolling 1month contract. Giffgaff used O2 and also has a £6/month 1-month rolling contract, although that's only 2GB of data.  

1 minute ago, Xen said:

For a pay-monthly sim that does everything you need (unlimited calls/texts, limited browsing) you're probably best going for one of the online brands rather than a high-street retailer. SMARTY uses the 3 network, and has a £6/month sim with 5GB of data, rolling 1month contract. Giffgaff used O2 and also has a £6/month 1-month rolling contract, although that's only 2GB of data.  

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look :)

11 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

What would be the best phone makes etc., to buy for that?

Was with EE on my old phone, started that back when you had all the animal user stuff, like Dolphin etc., and had a Sony.

Samsung smartphones start the right side of £150, and are pretty good as a brand.

Motorola have a number of sub £200 options, good specs for the money but I'm not convinced the quality is as good as it used to be.

I'm on my second Xiaomi and frankly, value for money wise they're great

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Samsung smartphones start the right side of £150, and are pretty good as a brand.

Motorola have a number of sub £200 options, good specs for the money but I'm not convinced the quality is as good as it used to be.

Thanks for the advice,  will have a good look around. Never really liked phones as a kid, now they are essential :unsure: go figure.

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I too use a Xaomi. They are great specced  phones and excellent value for money. 

So, after everything I said about me not chasing the new technology any more and not seeing what the new versions of phones do, that I'd actually need. I've had a new phone lol

In my defence, my OH has had new hearing devices and the new app for them wasn't fully supported on their phone (my old S9+). It works fine on my S21+. Therefore, out of the goodness of my heart, the S21 has been passed on to the OH.

And, I've had a Samsung Z Fold.

I'd been looking at getting a new tablet due to the near death of my old one, so the Z Fold will be both.

Hopefully, after selling our old 2 and using the tablet budget, I won't actually have spent much more.

Did someone just say they wanted to buy a Samsung phone....:ph34r:

Have not really got a clue what I'm doing but going for a Xiaomi Redmi 10 5G sim free unlocked smart phone, with it being so smart it can pick up the slack hopefully? :ph34r:

My old phone, dunno what to do with them, have a couple even older relics lying around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Have not really got a clue what I'm doing but going for a Xiaomi Redmi 10 5G sim free unlocked smart phone, with it being so smart it can pick up the slack hopefully? :ph34r:

My old phone, dunno what to do with them, have a couple even older relics lying around.

It's a good choice. As a fellow Xaomi user it does everything more expensive phones do.