Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

10 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My mum who is in her 70's gets on better with my cast off iphones. The main thing i told her was to use Siri, so she never has to swipe/type get used to apps etc. Its quite funny to listen to her as she will say 'siri please could you phone <insert name> thank you very much' I've told her numerous times there is no need for please and thank you's, but she wants to be polite :D 

I'm with your Mum on this :thumbup:

I hate the way my kids speak to Alexa and Siri.

Manners cost nothing :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

iPhone 13 then, anyone pre-ordering on Friday? I’m going for it, my 8 is almost 4 years old now and I think it’s time for an upgrade. 

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for you but as someone who has the 12 Pro I can’t justify it unless o2 are offering some kind of trade in deal for people with iPhone 12’s

My contact ends next month. I have been with Vodafone for years and they’ve been pretty good. I’m tempted by the new iPhone but unsure what the best value option would be, either buy outright and have a sim only contact, or stick with Vodafone. Also if I switch to a new sim only provider will I lose all my stuff? 

I'm a little bit tempted this time around, but not tempted enough TBH. 

Yes, my iPhone 8 is old, but I also pay like £10 a month. I just can't justify the fvcking absurdity of the price points for both contracts or handset itself. 

Plus phones are too big and most of the features are gimmicky.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

My contact ends next month. I have been with Vodafone for years and they’ve been pretty good. I’m tempted by the new iPhone but unsure what the best value option would be, either buy outright and have a sim only contact, or stick with Vodafone. Also if I switch to a new sim only provider will I lose all my stuff? 

What do you mean "stuff"?

Most of the things can be saved to other the phone/sim or cloud. I.e. photos, numbers, videos and contacts. You can keep your number if you change provider also. 

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Depends on how much you’re willing to pay. Apple do 24 months interest free on phones, then you could get sim only deal from uswitch. 

From my past experience of looking on the phone & sim plan I got I would have saved around £150 by paying for the phone outright. 

Just now, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Depends on how much you’re willing to pay. Apple do 24 months interest free on phones, then you could get sim only deal from uswitch. 

From my past experience of looking on the phone & sim plan I got I would have saved around £150 by paying for the phone outright. 

Yeah I think it’s cheaper to buy the phone outright and then sort a sim. I have been comparing deals with Vodafone and it’s more expensive buying with them even with their current iPhone selections never mind the 13. 

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah I think it’s cheaper to buy the phone outright and then sort a sim. I have been comparing deals with Vodafone and it’s more expensive buying with them even with their current iPhone selections never mind the 13. 

Have a look on Uswitch if you find something that is good for you ring Vodafone and I’m sure they would match it. 

Don’t worry about losing things when changing phone, just put the phones next to each other and everything sends over via that. 

4 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Have a look on Uswitch if you find something that is good for you ring Vodafone and I’m sure they would match it. 

Don’t worry about losing things when changing phone, just put the phones next to each other and everything sends over via that. 

Cheers mate 

19 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for you but as someone who has the 12 Pro I can’t justify it unless o2 are offering some kind of trade in deal for people with iPhone 12’s

Oh yeah forget that, these people that upgrade every 12 months are throwing money down the drain. I'll get this then keep it for 3-4 years before upgrading again. It's gonna feel amazing compared to my 8, I can't wait :D

On 15/09/2021 at 19:47, Unabomber said:

Cheers mate 

Going through a network is the most expensive way. I was a manager at Phones 4U many moons ago. Never go to a store and don’t go through a network if you can help it. You’ll get robbed blind.

Websites like Mobile Phones Direct can be good around 6 months after an iPhone is released, but on launch you’re best to get the 0% APR through Apple and get a sim only deal from a network. You’ll save at least a tenner a month, and no upfront fees.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Like 1

Just an example of what I mean on the above post.

EE had the 13 Pro Max for £71 a month and about £100 up front for 30GB data I think it was - daylight robbery. You can get an unlimited data sim only for about £14 a month with cash back on top if you shop around, and the payments to Apple for the handset are about £44 a month.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

How’s everybody finding the new iPhones? Quite like mine.

Selling my 11 Pro Max has been a pain in the arse. Sold on eBay twice - both to scammers based in Africa. 🙄

To be honest I probably don’t use mine as I should. I ditched all social media so this forum is pretty much the only other two way interaction and browsing platform I use other than messaging. But I use it a lot for fitness tracking etc. Etc….

But being a musician there’s loads of cool apps that I can use to interact with my gear, so that’s pretty much what I use it for, which is great, I can’t knock Apple for its interactive ability with other products.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Supposed to get 2x iPhone SE through a work scheme but they’re now decided they can’t get stock/pay shipping costs and instead sending us a cash equivalent

ive never purchased a handset directly so any ideas where to get best price on Apple phones?  Does anyone sell them cheaper than Apple do?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

Does anyone know when O2 change there deals? Cos last time I got a new phone on contact a week later they did a better deal on it. So it annoyed the heck out of me so this time round I don't wanna make that same mistake

I would think it's down to a combination of a couple of things - they will have deals that last a month or two and could well change at the beginning of the month, and also, their deals may depend on when new models enter the market.  Often there are great deals on last year's model of iPhone, Samsung or whatever soon after the latest model is released, when they have to get rid of old stock - you'll have to google the release dates so you know when to look.  

One other option - if the O2 network is important to you - have a look at Lyca and GiffGaff (sim only) as well as Sky Mobile and Tesco Mobile - they all use the O2 network, so signal strength shouldn't be an issue.

• 2 months later...