Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Turtles Head

Newspapers

Is it just me who finds newpapers boring and full of time wasting shit?

The Sun, Mirror, People, Star, Sport are all absolute bollocks.

The Independent, Mail and Times are all boring. The Express is the only paper i can tolerate and that is even at a push.

Most people i know buy one or two per day. I don't get it.

The Independent, Mail and Times are all boring. The Express is the only paper i can tolerate and that is even at a push.

For me it's just that they offer nothing. Because of the instant news era we now live in they, nothing they print is news, so they have to make stuff up to make it interesting, and to sell copies.

The online aspects of certain papers are ok, such as the Guardian are pretty decent and I read them those, but I never actually buy a newspaper anymore.

The Express? FFS!

These day papers are not so much for an instant news fix, more for comment and opinion depending where you lie across the political spectrum and what your interests are.

Personally, I find that The Times has the best sense of humour and does a good line in satire.

The Express? FFS!

These day papers are not so much for an instant news fix, more for comment and opinion depending where you lie across the political spectrum and what your interests are.

Personally, I find that The Times has the best sense of humour and does a good line in satire.

It all depends on your expectations.

I read a paper, a variety of different ones, just to kill some time, read some stories, see whats happening (whether its true or not I don't really care) and generally just to have a read.

Think people get worked up over newspapers way too much.

There's really no point in newspapers anymore, other than for entertainment if you're on the move.

You might as well just go straight to Reuters if you want news, papers are just taking stories from either there or PA wire copy anyway, re-distributing it with their own bias and reading-level-appropriate language.

Cut out the bullshit and go straight to the "source."

I'd love to see The Sun's recipe.

Download from Reuters

Extract adjectives

Insert right wing bias

Insert picture of tits

Weave in ropey puns

Insert right wing bias

Take out words with more than four syllables

Serve

There's really no point in newspapers anymore, other than for entertainment if you're on the move.

You might as well just go straight to Reuters if you want news, papers are just taking stories from either there or PA wire copy anyway, re-distributing it with their own bias and reading-level-appropriate language.

Cut out the bullshit and go straight to the "source."

I learnt that much from reading “flat earth news” too , but I was going to say they just took their stories from the press association releases :D

I learnt that much from reading “flat earth news” too , but I was going to say they just took their stories from the "press association" releases :D

That's a nugget I swiped from my uni days, to be fair, although I am a fan of Nick Davies and do recommend Flat Earth News as a starting point to anyone.

I had to buy stacks of papers and magazines at uni and we were often encouraged to trawl through for, essentially, identical articles. It was a point they were fond of making.

I read the Times.

Excellent paper, it's a quid a day which is very good value, excellent columists and the only problem you have is you dont always get the time to read it.

I read the I (a lot cheaper than the other papers I'd read: Independent & Guardian) every morning over breakfast so I disagree they are boring.

Edit: The Times - part of Murdochs media empire - no thanks.

Never read the observer but as far as I've been told it's a decent paper - something of a half-way between guardian & mail?

I read i because it's the only decent read that I can afford. If a selection of free papers is available I gravitate towards the Guardian/Observer (I await your slings and arrows) or the Independent. I used to have to read the Express when I worked at East Leicester Medical Practice and it was terrible, at least the Daily Mail has some comedy value and decent sport.

For a sense of balance, I can handle the Telegraph, the Times is too boring to me and I've read The Mirror in a chip shop once, and it was just as bad as the Express.

I'd love to see The Sun's recipe.

Download from Reuters

Extract adjectives

Insert right wing bias

Insert picture of tits

Weave in ropey puns

Insert right wing bias

Take out words with more than four syllables

Serve

Not so much a right wing bias, just plain political incorrectness.

Not so much a right wing bias, just plain political incorrectness.

I was going to say the same thing but couldn't be arsed.

The Sun isn't on any wing, it just talks bollocks. For something so right wing they did a damn good job of hammering the Tories over the last 15 years.

The left have to believe all the thickos are on the right though, they need that to sustain the higher than thou attitude that came after a brief flirt with homosexuality whilst undertaking some pointless social studies degree at university.

I used to read the Indy, had some cracking editorials and some decent articles in it.

I delved into the I when it came out and was getting a lot of good press and I have to say I was massively disappointed. It's hugely lightweight and insubstantial, not really what I wanted out of it at all.

'i' has to be the only paper worth reading/buying - 20p or 30p on a Saturday, first two pages summarize the entire paper if you haven't got an hour to go through it, there aren't pages and inserts full of nonsense views from people you don't care about and you still get your 3 sudokus and a couple of word ladders.

I understand that Newspapers are out of date as soon as they're printed (and particularly out of date 20 hours later when I read them!), but for me it's much more enjoyable and healthier to sit down for an hour each night and read the newspaper, than to sit for an hour on the Reuters website.

While we're on the subject of crap media outlets, can I rant about all of our 24hr News channels - they've become such a joke in the recent years that I find myself watchin Al Jazeera or Russia Today. Were they always this crap? Did I just not notice?

The Sun isn't on any wing, it just talks bollocks. For something so right wing they did a damn good job of hammering the Tories over the last 15 years.

The left have to believe all the thickos are on the right though, they need that to sustain the higher than thou attitude that came after a brief flirt with homosexuality whilst undertaking some pointless social studies degree at university.

Not at all.

Some of the thickest and most politically ignorant people I've ever met have been Mirror readers who vote Labour because their dad does, or base their allegiances purely on the fact they hate the Tories because 'they're posh.'

No brief flirtations with homosexuality or pointless social studies degree for me either. :thumbup:

The Sun is undeniably right-wing, always has been. It backed a Labour government that was so far removed from traditional Labour traits it was almost Tory, and dropped it like a ton of hot bricks once Blair fecked off and Brown started moving the party left again. Look at their views on immigration, asylum and Europe if you still don't think it's a right-wing publication.

Preachers of doom !

If you don't like what you see in the nationals fight back. Community Journalism is on the rise. Next week sees the launch of Media Week which will be encouraginging ordanary people across Leicestershire to get involved. If you are a part of a community group or want to form one come along to one of the events at the old Central Library or Phoenix Square.

It is being run by Citizens Eye. I have recently set up a new blog. I am hoping to make it purely news and social issues. I will be putting RSS feed from groups and people from various areas. You are free to comment. It may be contraversal at times but no more than on here. I will try and put some posts of my own from any link that I find. I just need the traffic to show my journalist tutor I am doing something plus it could be fun.

We Are One is my other blog. Put one or two bits on. Won't please everyone but I want response.

You do talk some bollox.

Guardian and the Observer - usually online as I don't get much of a chance to read it from cover to cover as I'd like to.

To be fair though I'll read anything if it's in front of me.

Archived