Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Kim Jong-Il is dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

While I'm definitely not going to shed a single tear for the man, as someone currently working in South Korea this piece of news is interesting and worrying at the same time. A lot is going to depend on the stability of the regime in NK as to what happens next.

Now...I wouldn't mind the horrible system up there to collapse as a result of this...but such an outcome would cost lives - and possibly not just North Korean lives too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-16239693

While I'm definitely not going to shed a single tear for the man, as someone currently working in South Korea this piece of news is interesting and worrying at the same time. A lot is going to depend on the stability of the regime in NK as to what happens next.

Now...I wouldn't mind the horrible system up there to collapse as a result of this...but such an outcome would cost lives - and possibly not just North Korean lives too.

My big concern is having someone so young as leader.... who might want to send a message of intent to South Korea... or his Aunt... guiding him... possibly thinking the leader was too soft with South Korea... I wonder if there might even be a power struggle within.... This could be either Excellent news or really bad news

either way glad he has gone....

A mourning period of 17th-29th December, news really is slow getting out of North Korea. All I can hope is that the new ruler is more modernised than Kim-Jong Il and brings the country into the 21st century.

And here's hoping that that doesn't involve showing off some of those shiny new nukes that they have. The problem is, everyone wants to see a more modern and forward North Korea, but such a transition could well result in internal trouble. And in that chaos there may be a rogue general or some other homicidal maniac who just maybe decides that the best way to 'unite the people' is through another good invasion and war. This time with nukes in their armoury.

Unless by some miracle NK liberalises slowly and with no internal strife (possibly with the help of the international community, especially China), it's a lose-lose situation - status quo is bad, drastic change is also bad.

Worrying times. From my brief reading this morning there seems to be a view that when NK has an internal problem they have a history of creating some external threat to focus the nation...

I would have thought the immediate threat would be a military coup against Kim Jong Il's heir apparent. We don't know what the military's thoughts are about Kim Jong Il's successor.

I would have thought the immediate threat would be a military coup against Kim Jong Il's heir apparent. We don't know what the military's thoughts are about Kim Jong Il's successor.

Well, according to the official channels the military have pledged to follow him - how reliable that information is remains to be seen though.

To be honest, this is a wildly unpredictable situation. Though thinking about it I would say war is the least likely outcome. The higher-ups in Pyongyang have probably got very comfortable with their highbrow lives and they wouldn't want to give them up in an unwinnable war with the South and it's allies - not unless the regime totally crumbled and they became totally desperate with no other choice to hold the country together. The only wildcard would be China, but there's no reason for them to step in, and from what it sounds they're annoyed with NK's sabre-rattling too. Jong-un is just a figurehead - it's the blokes behind the scenes that run things, just like everywhere else.

As for causing an outside incident, such an incident would probably be along the lines of the Cheonan sinking or the shelling of Yongpyeong island this year - a few deaths, a lot of outrage, but far short of wanting anything bigger.

North Korea are reporting he died of fatigue.

You'd be tired too if you'd managed 18 holes in one, won the Tour de France 19 times and cured cancer.

He died on a train with his closest allies around him so at least he didn't die a ronery man.

Isnt his succesor about 16 and effin nuts?.

worrying times.

late 20's

was once banned from entering Japan under false ID as he wanted to go to Disney World. HUGE fan of NBA basketball which is odd considering his nations loathing for everything american.

Worrying times. From my brief reading this morning there seems to be a view that when NK has an internal problem they have a history of creating some external threat to focus the nation...

Yes indeed... there are family members who dont believe he is ready too.... expect some sort of military rule for a few years..

Well, according to the official channels the military have pledged to follow him - how reliable that information is remains to be seen though.

To be honest, this is a wildly unpredictable situation. Though thinking about it I would say war is the least likely outcome. The higher-ups in Pyongyang have probably got very comfortable with their highbrow lives and they wouldn't want to give them up in an unwinnable war with the South and it's allies - not unless the regime totally crumbled and they became totally desperate with no other choice to hold the country together. The only wildcard would be China, but there's no reason for them to step in, and from what it sounds they're annoyed with NK's sabre-rattling too. Jong-un is just a figurehead - it's the blokes behind the scenes that run things, just like everywhere else.

As for causing an outside incident, such an incident would probably be along the lines of the Cheonan sinking or the shelling of Yongpyeong island this year - a few deaths, a lot of outrage, but far short of wanting anything bigger.

China realize that they are the main allies with NK and so would want some sort of influence on the young leader to make sure they dont get dragged into a conflict...

So far in NK it has been the leader who has TOTALLY ruled- no one behind the scenes has authority in the main decisions. This might change with his Aunt and Uncle being high military ranking and unhappy at his grooming for the leadership due to his age and lack of experience...

This really is a bizarre nation... if anyone gets a chance watch some of the documentaries floating about on North Korea.. They scrub the pavements with a scrubbing brush on their hands and knees.... Private food markets are an embarrassment - no filming is allowed inside them as it shows the governments ' inabilty to provide for the people' these markets will one day be a thing of the past, apparently.. 6 lane motorways totally empty... indoctrination of the kids from a ges as young as two to hate Americans and all westerners really...

Archived