Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
accessory

Engelbert Humperdinck to represent UK at 2012 Eurovision Song Contest

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-17222934

British crooner Englebert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The 75-year-old, dubbed the "King of Romance", is best known for his 1967 hit Release Me, which kept The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever off the number one spot.

The singer said it was "an absolute honour" to be taking part and was "excited and raring to go".

This year's competition will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 26 May.

The song Humperdinck will perform has yet to be announced but the BBC said it would be recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville.

It will be written by Grammy award-winning producer Martin Terefe and Ivor Novello winner Sacha Skarbek, who co-wrote James Blunt hit You're Beautiful.

Humperdinck - whose real name is Arnold Dorsey - has sold more than 150 million records worldwide during his 45 year career.

Born in Chennai to a British army officer, he took his stage name from a German composer best known for his opera Hansel and Gretel.

He scored a UK number one with The Last Waltz and had other hits including There Goes My Everything and A Man Without Love.

His last UK top 20 single was 40 years ago with Too Beautiful To Last which reached number 14.

The singer has received four Grammy nominations, a Golden Globe for Entertainer of the Year and is one of only a handful of artists with a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Las Vegas Walk of Fame.

"It's an absolute honour to be representing my country for this year's Eurovision Song Contest," the singer said.

"When the BBC approached me, it just felt right for me to be a part of an institution like Eurovision. I'm excited and raring to go and want the nation to get behind me!"

Humperdinck is the oldest ever Eurovision contestant and if he wins, will be the UK's first victor since Katrina and the Waves 15 years ago.

"Engelbert's age isn't the reason why we chose him to represent the nation for Eurovision, but it's nice to break a few records along the way," a BBC spokeswoman said.

Katie Taylor, BBC head of entertainment and events said: "Not since the 70s have we had such an established international musical legend represent the nation.

"We couldn't be more delighted. Engelbert's experience leaves us in no doubt that he will be able to deliver a standout performance in front of 120 million viewers worldwide."

It's been a good week for Leicester musical acts. Yesterday Kasabian won the best group category at the NME awards.

It would be excellent if he won! :) But realistically, he'll do well to make the top 10.

It's been a good week for Leicester musical acts. Yesterday Kasabian won the best group category at the NME awards.

It would be excellent if he won! :) But realistically, he'll do well to make the top 10.

You're not wrong, I saw the Drummer from Showaddy Waddy win £30 on the fruit machine in my local, ok he had put £27 in, but you know £3 is not bad for a nights work down the pub.

Pretty much sums up the NME then, going the same way as the brits.

Does he sing a male version about Puffins

:D

Or the Greylag Goose

greylag-geese-100823-02.jpg?1296144737 Nearly one-fifth of all long-term greylag geese couples are gay, composed of two males.

CREDIT: Dreamstime.

In greylag geese, nearly a fifth of all long-term couples are composed of two males. They're not alone: More than 130 bird species are known to engage in homosexual behavior at least occasionally, a fact that has puzzled scientists.

After all, in evolutionary terms same-sex mating seems to reduce the birds' chances of reproductive success. But that's not necessarily so, according to a new study. In a given species, the sex with lighter parental duties tends to mate more, period — whether with the same or the opposite sex.

Birds engage in all kinds of same-sex hanky panky, from elaborate courtship displays to mounting and genital contact to setting up house together. In some species the same-sex pairs even raise young (conceived with outside partners, obviously) and stay together for several years.

In 2007, a team led by Geoff MacFarlane, a biologistat the University of Newcastle in Australia, reported that male homosexual behavior was more common in polygynous bird species, where males mate with numerous females, and that female homosexual behavior was more common in monogamous species.

You're not wrong, I saw the Drummer from Showaddy Waddy win £30 on the fruit machine in my local, ok he had put £27 in, but you know £3 is not bad for a nights work down the pub.

:o He was my dad's drumming instructor a few years ago!

:o He was my dad's drumming instructor a few years ago!

I used to work in Kwik Save with the former guitarist Trevor Oakes' Wife, also known as the parents of Scott and Stefan Oakes (for the only recently following the foxes on here both played for Leicester)

Apparently he is quite popular in Eastern Europe and they are banking on him being a big name (pun intended) in europe to sway votes, that and he is still a regular live performer and after the disaster that was Blue's come back, nobody cared, they thought they would try bringing in the old guard.

Let's judge when we have heard the song.

Over rocks and trees and sand

Soaring over cliffs

And gently floating down to land

She proudly lifts her voice

To sound her mating call

And soon her mate responds by singing

Caw Caw Caw

Come with me

Lesbian Seagull

Settle down and rest with me

Fly with me lesbian seagull

To my little nest by the sea