Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brown Fox

Another Shooting in the US

Saw one post on Twitter  re the NRA. It said something like 'a multi killer has never been stopped by a armed civilian'

One thought I had if you saw two people shooting at each others with rifles how would you know which is the good guy?

This is unreal.

The gun lobby in the US fighting gun control, that I can understand. But they actually also block funding for research into why gun crimes occur in the first place too?

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/245983-gop-panel-votes-to-keep-funding-ban-for-gun-violence-research

Ye Gods. How these people actually sleep at night I don't know.

This is unreal.

The gun lobby in the US fighting gun control, that I can understand. But they actually also block funding for research into why gun crimes occur in the first place too?

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/245983-gop-panel-votes-to-keep-funding-ban-for-gun-violence-research

Ye Gods. How these people actually sleep at night I don't know.

The restriction is to prevent activity that would undertake activities (to include data collection) for current or future research, including under the title 'gun violence prevention,' that could be used in any manner to result in a future policy, guidelines, or recommendations to limit access to guns, ammunition, or to create a list of gun owners

:rolleyes: 

:rolleyes: 

Wow.

I honestly don't get how they go from 'Researching the causes of gun violence to prevent further tragedies' to 'OMGGGG THEY MAKIN A LIST AND CUMIN 4 U ALL!!!!!!!1111'

They really think that their right to have any type of gun they like (and the gun companies to make billions off it) trumps the right of others to life itself.

But its their right. Heaven forbid they grow up, learn, evolve and realize it not the wild west anymore. But they got an answer for that too. Excuse after excuse is all you will ever hear. Guns dont kill people, people kill people as they say.....righhhhttt

Edited by Jattdogg

Not working in the UK.

Ah, my bad.

To summarize, lots of politicians saying that this isn't a gun problem, that it is a mental health one and we need to improve (as always when these shootings happen, yet as always nothing gets done)... yet statistically very few mentally ill people actually are responsible for violent crimes.

John Oliver then goes into some detail of the history of our horrible mental health care system and how it is still horrible and that if we are gonna keep bringing it up only when these acts happen, even though it isn't really the main factor, we out to at least improve it as we say we should.

I read that gun sales experience a sharp increase just after a mass shooting like this. And the manufacturers of the weapons are obviously huge sponsors of the NRA and gun lobbies. So basically the guys funding the pro-gun wackos have a financial interest in shootings like these occurring. All quite an unholy alliance.

Saw a Tweet which gave the number of deaths so far in the USA for 2015 and said it would take until 2071 for Australia to reach that figure. I imagine it would take longer for the UK and other countries.

When they say guns don't kill people  they forget that a bullet goes in a gun then fired by people so in fact what kills is a gun fired by a person.The gun needs to be loaded.

Saw a Tweet which gave the number of deaths so far in the USA for 2015 and said it would take until 2071 for Australia to reach that figure. I imagine it would take longer for the UK and other countries.

When they say guns don't kill people  they forget that a bullet goes in a gun then fired by people so in fact what kills is a gun fired by a person.The gun needs to be loaded.

I think that's their point.

I think that's their point.

Indeed, and while it is true that it not technically possible for a gun to fire itself and kill someone, it is also not technically possible for a person to throw a bullet hard enough to kill someone, which is about as useful to the debate.

It seems incredible that after the latest Oregon shooting, the killer had 13 legal firearms.

How a young man with some sort of mental illness, can amass this arsenal of automatic weapons is truly unbelievable.

Those figures from the BBC link above are amazingly ridiculous.

There was another 3 person shooting in Florida on the same day but it's not been reported because of the 9 in Oregon and this is just ludicrous http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

Just the 559 children killed and injured by firearms in the US so far this year.

Land of the free indeed

Why do you need 13 firearms? And why would an average person need an assault rifle to nip to the corner shop?

It will be hard to ban them all together but surely limiting the ownership to even one or two hand guns for the home preferably locked away and a special license for outside the home. To me that does not seem unreasonable and would be a start. It will not stop the illegal use but it will make it harder for people with mental issues to get hold of guns. I would think that the authorities know the criminals that trade in guns so they can be targeted far easier. If the NRA agreed even to some changes it would be something but their attitude shows that their concerns are not about rights but money.

There was another 3 person shooting in Florida on the same day but it's not been reported because of the 9 in Oregon and this is just ludicrous http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

This is what I meant in my post above. How was an 11 year old child able to access a dangerous weapon? Do the parents just leave leave it on a coffee table free for anyone to pick up? How many have been killed over trivial domestic arguments? Many accidentally with a partner picking up a nearby gun in mid argument. I don't know how delicate the triggers are on pistols but I doubt many of the owners do either. If you wave a gun around in a threatening manner there is a chance that it will fire. Is it so wrong to want measures in place to prevent this happening?

I can just imagine a primary schoolteacher being armed in front of a noisy class.

Picks up an automatic rifle on her desk and fires it into the air

'Be quiet you little Mother****ers'

Silence

'Now sweethearts, to carry on with the Paddington Bear story.'

I came across a pretty good article about Gun Control reform in the New York Times: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/nicholas-kristof-a-new-way-to-tackle-gun-deaths.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Here's a couple eye popping stats from the article:

Since 1970, more Americans have died from guns than died in all U.S. wars going back to the American Revolution.

In America, more preschoolers are shot dead each year (82 in 2013) than police officers are in the line of duty (27 in 2013)