Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brown Fox

Another Shooting in the US

How does one country manage to produce so many maniacs?

I think the inability to notice and treat mental illness is a primary reason, I also think American society with the whole 'American Dream' philosophy actually plays a part too, many feel disillusioned after being promised so much and then see nothing materialise. 

There seems to be a new genre of nut job, the fame hungry, this seems to have increased the mass shootings in America despite other violent crime falling in the US.  Look at how many post what they are about to do on facebook and other social media, and then there's the recent shooting where he targeted live TV and filmed himself carrying out the murder.

Edited by purpleronnie

It's their constitutional right. Which is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joE9y9iYgJs

There's no question that gun culture and gun crime is a huge problem in the United States; opposition is pretty srong and always will - these events often play in to the hands of the opposers, but statistically events like these are rare, and everyday gun murder is far more serious. The atrocities in Chicago are far worse for gun crime.

Need to look at how acessabile pistols are, with a complete ban on automatics.

There's no question that gun culture and gun crime is a huge problem in the United States; opposition is pretty srong and always will - these events often play in to the hands of the opposers, but statistically events like these are rare, and everyday gun murder is far more serious. The atrocities in Chicago are far worse for gun crime.

Need to look at how acessabile pistols are, with a complete ban on automatics.

You say rare, but mass gun shooting in schools in America happens what....twice a year? They are children!

It's all a consequence of the ultra materialistic American Dream. Bombard kids with messages about how they can all "make it" if they're somehow good enough, with the necessary implication being that if you don't make it you're somehow unworthy, and that leads to angry young people when their false dreams aren't realised.

Edited by Frank to be

You say rare, but mass gun shooting in schools in America happens what....twice a year? They are children!

They do occur, but they would occur whether the gun laws country-wide were the same; goes back to the gun debate of; 'if you're going to do something like this, getting a gun is possible, easily acessable or not'. Pistols and murders are a bigger problem to me because they're obviously not covered in the same light as this.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/14-People-Shot-in-15-Hours-in-Chicago-Following-Violent-Weekend-329949051.html

Guest MattP

If it's a consequence of the American dream though why is it so bad now? The American dream has been drilled into people for 100 years, they weren't always doing this.

I actually don't even think changing the gun laws would halt this, they seem to be incapable of stopping things like this and it's getting worse.

It's all a consequence of the ultra materialistic American Dream. Bombard kids with messages about how they can all "make it" if they're somehow good enough, with the necessary implication being that if you don't make it you're somehow unworthy, and that leads to angry young people when their false dreams aren't realised.

The false dreams thing isn't isolated to the US though (although I suspect it's heightened there) but there it coincides with relatively easy access to weapons

The false dreams thing isn't isolated to the US though (although I suspect it's heightened there) but there it coincides with relatively easy access to weapons

It's definitely driven by culture and mentality; acess to guns is a factor of course, but theres places where gun ownership is very high and crimes are very low in comparison; Switzerland, Finland, Sweden. 

Then there's the states in USA with very little gun crime and eased gun laws like the north east, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire - do you explain these states as anomolys? Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that these areas, and the high gun ownership countries are not consistent gun crime locations.

Perhaps, as well as looking at gun control, if most places in the US made mental healthcare something other than prohibitively expensive there might be less psychopaths gaining access to weaponry and shooting places up.

But hey...if they can't afford it they shouldn't get it, right?

/facetious

Edited by leicsmac

Obama said it well, the US is not the only country with mental health issues, but they are the only advanced country that these murders happen so frequently.

Mental health support is terrible, the gun laws are weak. Both need sorting out.

Heard a gimp on the radio talking about problems in the UK with knives. No one pointed out that we haven't had 9 people killed in a single knife incident (for a while at least... Or if I ever).

I love Auzzie comedian Jim Jefferies. Sums it all up perfectly for me in three minutes..

That is gold.  The crux of the argument is indeed "I like guns, and I don't want you to take them away, and I have lots of money from Gun companies to support this with bullshit arguments, and I don't care if other people kill people with guns I still want my guns. GUNS.  Hmmm Guns.  Guns."

And to be fair, having fired shotguns, glock 9mm, M16 and others, I can confirm guns are fun, and they give you a certain feeling of power.  I still wouldn't want to have one in my house though.

Edited by Jon the Hat

There is obviously something rotten at the core of the American Dream, too many poor disenfranchised, alienated people made to feel worthless. In these cases you have to look at the schooling system the idolisation of the good looking the athletic those kids with talent get pushed to be the best and many kids without talent are just cast aside. The hierarchical nature of high schools and colleges and systematic bullying that seems prevalent in American society, must be a significant contributing factor. There is obviously something seriously fvcked up going on and it is more prevalent in certain states than others but these kinds of social factors are almost impossible to change quickly as soon as you think you get a handle on it something comes along like the rise of social media and cyber bullying and it is out of control again.

Whilst social factors are difficult to change gun ownership laws aren't it may be that 99% of American citizens are perfectly responsible and are safe to own guns, but that 1% can do a fvck load of damage.

What really gets me is that these gun control laws will not stop most people from owning a gun, at most it will ban automatic anti personnel assault rifles and force some kind of background check maybe require a license with a test. They are control measures to make sure that it is at the very least difficult for kids to get their hands on a deadly arsenal of weapons.

Even if they just took them out of supermarkets and stopped ridiculous practices such as giving away a gun when you open a bank account, probably a rare case but it has happened. It is just incomprehensible that guns are treated, in some states, exactly the same as a pint of milk.

horrible to see this happen again. i flicked it on last night and there was only injured now (too many) people are dead. 

i do like the line the police are going for in which they are not naming the gunman so he doesn't get the "fame he wants." it is the right way to do it. it seems america is finally learning how to deal with these without violating their precious 2nd amendment. 

Attempting to disarm the public is foolish and won't change anything. May I remind you that our gun laws up until 1920's were very relaxed and yet gun crime was trivial.

This clearly is mostly down to social issues in my opinion.