Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
longy

Vinyl

Obviously won’t be just yet but is there anywhere in Leicester where they’ll give your record player a ‘service’ for want of a better word?

Had mine for just over two years but pretty sure the belt has slipped. It’s not massive but enough to lower the pitch and annoy me to the point it takes the enjoyment out of it. I don’t think the model I have has an adjustment screw. There’s certainly not one mentioned in the manual. Also, I’ve not found a You Tube tutorial that’s helpful as I can’t unscrew the turntable. Looks like I’d have to completely undo the bottom and take it all apart which I’d rather not do unless I have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dug out my single of Supertramps, Dreamer the other day.

I bought that when we had our first stereo system as opposed to a mono Dansette portable record player.

Mam and Dad didn't quite understand the need for two speakers so I put it on and sat them in front of the speakers.

Listening to it again,  I still understand why a 16 year old me chose this  to demonstrate the stereo depth and imagery. It starts 'mono like' but then 'explodes' into stereo.

Really transported me back over 45 years.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Dug out my single of Supertramps, Dreamer the other day.

I bought that when we had our first stereo system as opposed to a mono Dansette portable record player.

Mam and Dad didn't quite understand the need for two speakers so I put it on and sat them in front of the speakers.

Listening to it again,  I still understand why a 16 year old me chose this  to demonstrate the stereo depth and imagery. It starts 'mono like' but then 'explodes' into stereo.

Really transported me back over 45 years.

Isn't music great like that. I don't think there's anything else that fills me with such joy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 22:20, when_you're_smiling said:

Obviously won’t be just yet but is there anywhere in Leicester where they’ll give your record player a ‘service’ for want of a better word?

Had mine for just over two years but pretty sure the belt has slipped. It’s not massive but enough to lower the pitch and annoy me to the point it takes the enjoyment out of it. I don’t think the model I have has an adjustment screw. There’s certainly not one mentioned in the manual. Also, I’ve not found a You Tube tutorial that’s helpful as I can’t unscrew the turntable. Looks like I’d have to completely undo the bottom and take it all apart which I’d rather not do unless I have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.cymbiosis.com/

Think there's also some bloke from littlethorpe that repairs them also, but have to get back to you on that one.

15 minutes ago, Rocket-Ron said:

https://www.cymbiosis.com/

Think there's also some bloke from littlethorpe that repairs them also, but have to get back to you on that one.

Cheers. I basically got my screwdriver out, took it apart and did some reading about motors and got there in the end. It’s 

Thanks very much though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, David Guiza said:

I've been after Parklife - Blur for a while and the prices are extortionate, but no idea why. Anybody used any decent websites aside from the usual? I've heard Discogs is ok? 

I asked about Blur ages ago on this thread. They are one of my favourite bands but I have only got 2 Blur records. I somehow got Parklife off eBay about 3 years ago now for £12 which was so lucky even at the time (pink vinyl remaster too).

If you're not bothered about originals/release dates etc and just want the record, then HMV currently have a sale on and there are several Blur albums included. It's 2 for £40. I saw Great Escape in there and Blur (self titled).

Original Blur records are ridiculous. You're looking at £50+.

I usually go to the monthly record fair in town and have picked up some decent priced records there but I rarely see Blur, even there.

I've never used Discogs but I know people who have and it is legit. 

Edited by Fox92
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I asked about Blur ages ago on this thread. They are one of my favourite bands but I have only got 2 Blur records. I somehow got Parklife off eBay about 3 years ago now for £12 which was so lucky even at the time (pink vinyl remaster too).

If you're not bothered about originals/release dates etc and just want the record, then HMV currently have a sale on and there are several Blur albums included. It's 2 for £40. I saw Great Escape in there and Blur (self titled).

Original Blur records are ridiculous. You're looking at £50+.

I usually go to the monthly record fair in town and have picked up some decent priced records there but I rarely see Blur, even there.

I've never used Discogs but I know people who have and it is legit. 

Cheers for the info!

I'm not too bothered about it being original or not, my current collection ranges from originals to battered and bruised.

Not sure what it is about Blur, same seems to be the case for Different Class by Pulp too. Similar aged records aren't in that ball park and neither are older/newer/similar bands. 

Looking forward to heading to some record stores again whenever that will be! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once again bought Pet Sounds on vinyl in what is a stereo mix (lost my original when my house was flooded). It's genuinely rarely I'd say this but the sound is effin terrible. The mix is all wrong and I have a good hifi system. 

What makes it all the more frustrating is the album is a masterpiece, so I'm now considering buying it again but researching which is the best sounding release.

On 08/03/2021 at 23:53, Deebhoy said:

I once again bought Pet Sounds on vinyl in what is a stereo mix (lost my original when my house was flooded). It's genuinely rarely I'd say this but the sound is effin terrible. The mix is all wrong and I have a good hifi system. 

What makes it all the more frustrating is the album is a masterpiece, so I'm now considering buying it again but researching which is the best sounding release.

Watched a documentary about Pet Sounds with George Martin a few years ago. He and Brian Wilson were listening to the master tapes in the studio and GM moved some of the faders on the desk.

I cant remember the specific track but Wilson immediately commented that Martin had produced a better mix instantly.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...