Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DorsetFox9

Leicester Matches Taken To The USA

Take Matches Abroad?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. would you be happy if the club decided to take a match against a low interest opposition such as Barnsley abroad

• Yes
    • No

If the club want to compensate me with flights, hotel etc then i wouldn't rule it out.

Afterall we don't play our home games at our home any more!!! How could miami for example be worse than the kp?

Well firstly it would be full of Miami locals instead of Leicester locals.

south-beach-girls_1.jpg

Wait, how do I feel about this again? :P

I don't see what the big difference between travelling to the U.S. for preseason friendlies and travelling to other countries in Europe for preseason friendlies is besides the distance.

However, while I can't see how preseason games in the U.S. should draw this kind of ire from Leicester-based fans, if anybody thinks Leicester would be anything close to drawing a decent crowd here, you'd have to be kidding--only big clubs come here and Leicester isn't one of them.

I can definitely see the owners bringing the team back to Thailand within the next two years--especially if they get promoted.

Why would anyone in America want to watch Leicester City vs Barnsley

:(

You'd be amazed at how many ex pats there are living over here. If there was ANY decent level footy game in my area ( North Carolina) I'd be well up for it. Every weekend the football pitches in my hometown are full of people playing games and tournaments... You'd actually be suprised at the level of intrest in it as a sport here... You'd get a fair few... no where near 60k though.

Incidently, i know of 3 other City fans within about 20 miles of me...

Correction: 4. My wife is having a boy in January :D

No. I pay to watch my home town team play their home matches at home. If we want to promote our club on a global basis at a pre-season round-robin tournament that's fine and I'm quite sure the level of opposition would be better preparation for the new season. I don't want some creeping relocation of my club to a foreign base because international owners can't afford the time to build something of their own from scratch. It's been bad enough seeing so much British industry relocated abroad.

Totally against the idea of playing our league games in another country. If they want to play the likes of Barnsley in America or even Thailand, they should arrange a friendly. Simple as that. I wouldn't even want us playing our league games at another ground in England for reasons of money grubbing

Living in Dallas, it would be great if a match came over here! However, teams should play their home games in their home ground so it would be a purely selfish reason as to why I would be happy! The NFL thing in England seems to work from an English point of view, but I know that it is not widely accepted or liked over here. It's not a bad thing to increase the popularity of the game, but really are Leicester the team to do that in America? I would think that a Premier League game and possibly one of the bigger ones is the only kind of game that would be put on over here for the rigth intentions.

I don't see what the big difference between travelling to the U.S. for preseason friendlies and travelling to other countries in Europe for preseason friendlies is besides the distance.

However, while I can't see how preseason games in the U.S. should draw this kind of ire from Leicester-based fans, if anybody thinks Leicester would be anything close to drawing a decent crowd here, you'd have to be kidding--only big clubs come here and Leicester isn't one of them.

I can definitely see the owners bringing the team back to Thailand within the next two years--especially if they get promoted.

The OP asked about league games not friendlies, i couldn't care less where they play friendlies.

the idea was that they would take a low interest football match Wigan v Swansea or something. so not something that would sell out as it would be pointless, but if you took ANY EPL match abroad at the moment, it would sell out. the idea being Wigan would get a lot more ticket money and promote their team abroad.

And why should English football teams be promoting their team abroad? Honestly, I don't give a flying **** how many Thai people/Americans/whoever swan around in Leicester shirts. What clubs in England should really be working at is making sure the majority of people in the towns or cities they're based in support their local team, and on regaining the support of those they've disenfranchised through poor ticket pricing policies and the continued deliberate alienation of anyone who isn't a parent or child.

And why should English football teams be promoting their team abroad? Honestly, I don't give a flying **** how many Thai people/Americans/whoever swan around in Leicester shirts. What clubs in England should really be working at is making sure the majority of people in the towns or cities they're based in support their local team, and on regaining the support of those they've disenfranchised through poor ticket pricing policies and the continued deliberate alienation of anyone who isn't a parent or child.

While I agree to a point, it is beneficial to everyone if we can drum up foreign support. The reason United have so much cash is due to how strong a brand they are world over. While we could never be at that level, we could realistically drum up a good amount of extra money from the Thai market which in turn could mean we have more money to spend on the team giving us a better chance of getting to and staying at the top. I don't think the way to go about it is to put on league games abroad, but pre-season should be looked at, as well as other marketing opportunities. It's not just a British game overall anymore as international markets are growing drastically and huge amounts of income can be obtained by putting at least some focus in other areas of the world.

While I agree to a point, it is beneficial to everyone if we can drum up foreign support. The reason United have so much cash is due to how strong a brand they are world over. While we could never be at that level, we could realistically drum up a good amount of extra money from the Thai market which in turn could mean we have more money to spend on the team giving us a better chance of getting to and staying at the top. I don't think the way to go about it is to put on league games abroad, but pre-season should be looked at, as well as other marketing opportunities. It's not just a British game overall anymore as international markets are growing drastically and huge amounts of income can be obtained by putting at least some focus in other areas of the world.

I know for a fact I'm definitely in the minority here but I'd just prefer it if English football became completely introverted again and nobody cared about money, unexploited foreign markets or whatever else.

I know for a fact I'm definitely in the minority here but I'd just prefer it if English football became completely introverted again and nobody cared about money, unexploited foreign markets or whatever else.

I can understand it's nice for things to stay local and close to home. Living in Dallas and being a Foxes fan i'm obviously on the other side of the argument ;) but if I lived in the UK i'd be closer to your position!

Guest bss9401

No. If the idea sticks then create a separate competition between willing clubs then play the 'finals' wherever they want. The idea would soon lose steam then.

I agree, it's vital we have as big a group as possible following the club in the immediate region, so that we have a solid number of fans to fall back on if we aren't so successful.

Who, in their right mind would want to watch a match at home, against the likes of Barnsley?

Well, considering it's been one of our most profitable fixtures in terms of results in recent times, plenty would.

Archived