Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DorsetFox9

Leicester Matches Taken To The USA

Take Matches Abroad?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. would you be happy if the club decided to take a match against a low interest opposition such as Barnsley abroad

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely no way.

I can see the benefit of some of the Prem teams doing it, much the same way as the NBA / NFL have a game here. It's only ever going to work for the top teams and they already go there for friendlies and tours anyway.

Our appeal is always going to be relatively small abroad, so in terms of income, the club are better off focussing on how to get local fans more engaged and spending money on the club than any one abroad

If the club want to compensate me with flights, hotel etc then i wouldn't rule it out.

Afterall we don't play our home games at our home any more!!! How could miami for example be worse than the kp?

Bit of a stupid post. Yes Filbert Way isn't our original home, but can you not see the difference between moving the games 500 yards down the road, and 5,000 miles away?

No. If the idea sticks then create a separate competition between willing clubs then play the 'finals' wherever they want. The idea would soon lose steam then.

If it was done like the Anglo Italian cup, such a random competition, whereby there was a cup competition which initially had the 2nd tier English clubs competing against each other, then they would have a group stage with the 2nd tier Italian clubs, then the top 2 english clubs would play 1 semi, and the top 2 Italian clubs would play another, so there was always an English side against and Italian side in the final.

Something like that which has a qualifying stage towards the end of the domestic season, then a finals in the US or Asia, or whereever after the domestic season has finished could work, but I think fixture congestion could be a problem.

The only other possibility is to have matches during the international breaks like this one.

Lets say us and 3 other 2nd tier, low level premiership clubs take our non international squad to the US for a friendly competition including some MLS teams, each international break is a round, then a play-off or final round of games at the end of the season.

Obviously this match wouldn't get 60k, i just want to see what LCFC fans would think if it happened to us. in truth, i can see a few prem teams going in the next 5-10 years just for commercial reasons.

I think its a possibility in years to come because more and more fans think of the financial benefits rather than being cheated out of seeing their team...you only have to read the football forums to see this, however I think the vast majority atm would be against it.

I think its a possibility in years to come because more and more fans think of the financial benefits rather than being cheated out of seeing their team...you only have to read the football forums to see this, however I think the vast majority atm would be against it.

Yep. Cardiff supporters set a very dangerous precedent for how much they think is acceptable for English (yeah yeah, Welsh) fans to sacrifice in the name of "progress".

****** are always harping on about "the bigger picture" of "the global game" and how we should just shut up and embrace it. Well, I'm not sure I enjoy looking at a picture in which billionaire owners are making complete mugs of anyone in this country who's willing to sacrifice the history, culture and indeed the very soul of the club they support all so they can have a shot at finish 17th in the ****ing Premier League.

It's not something we need to worry about. That's one of the benefits of being a small club with little international appeal. I also don't think established competitions will go in for this any time soon. It's possible that a neutral venue showpiece competition could be developed where a small handful of elite clubs play each other abroad. Could have 'hosts' in the same way as international competitions. But that won't concern us. There's not much demand to see Leicester in Leicester never mind in America. Don't worry about it.

This is an amusing reaction given the excitement on here when we played Thailand mid-season a few years back.

If it's not a competitive game no-one cares. Away friendlies aren't new. What is being proposed here is taking competitive games to neutral venues abroad which is quite different from an away friendly.

Lots of clubs are already involved in pre-season tournaments any attempt to hi-jack a league game is a killer for me. I suspect all those clubs hankering for a mid-season break would end up involved in further mini-tournaments on the excuse that they need to keep the players match fit.

It's all amount enhancing brands be they football ones like Man U or our own King Power and making money to keep up with the outrageous player wages, cut back on that and the need for all this 'extra' stuff would largely go away.

Archived