Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DorsetFox9

Leicester Matches Taken To The USA

Take Matches Abroad?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. would you be happy if the club decided to take a match against a low interest opposition such as Barnsley abroad

• Yes
    • No

right, I am having a discussion with a friend about the possibility of teams taking matches abroad to places such as the USA and Asia. If the owners were to say that they are taking Leicester's home match against Barnsley to a 60,000 seater stadium in the US where it would sell out how would everyone feel? I'm obviously thinking more about the EPL but I'm interested to see how you would react to it happening to Leicester.

we discussed that the club would compensate home season ticket holders with cheaper prices and a few other things.

would you be open to the idea and think it would be good for the club for publicity and extra ticket money?

or do you think its wrong for the club to do this and resent the idea?

Don't see the point at all. Not league matches. Fine for showcase matches or overseas friendlies, but could you honestly see 60,000 people queuing up to see Leicester VS Barnsley in America? Half that attendance anywhere in this country would be a miracle. If it was arranged that we played Manchester United or LA Galaxy (etc) then it'd sell purely because of the name of the opposition, but that would be a bizarre match-up that would never happen. Played in the right parts of Asia, a surprising turnout might be achieved but nowhere near 60,000 and I don't know which sides would agree to such a match, considering they have much bigger concerns throughout the season and usually more carefully planned pre-seasons. I know highly reputed Premiership teams occasionally do high-profile overseas friendlies but there's a lot of money involved and TV rights etc. I'd go to see Leicester in America if it happened to be within 100 miles of a holiday I already had planned, and if it was against pretty much anyone but Barnsley

Of course i would have to go if it came to North Carolina, I wouldnt refuse to go out of principle or anything stupid like that.... But it would be so wrong for them to hold a home game outside of Leicester i would be livid.

Would we have much of a say if the game was an away fixture though?

Shouldn't happen but I'm a hypocrite as I go to the NFL game in London every year.

USA away would be a quality trip mind, I'd definitely go if it did happen.

I've been to a few of the regular season NFL games at Wembley and I particularly remember speaking to quite a few people who had travelled from the States for the Saints v Chargers game who loved the idea of sharing their sport, gaining new fans and visiting new places but they did seem like ultra-hardcore fans themselves. I can't see it working for football as much, it'd never happen for anything outside the Premier League but it's only a matter of time till they get round to that.

Basically no.

Archived