Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

Would you have Jack Hobbs back?

Would you have Jack Hobbs back?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Jack Hobbs back?

• Yes
    • No

Call me nostalgic, stupid or whatever but given what we have now, I'd take both Fryatt and Hobbs back.

I think Hobbs and Morgan would make an excellent centre back pairing and that Fryatt would probably work very well with Vardy.

Fryatt's Achilles heel is and always has been his pace. But he's a very intelligent footballer and could link up very well with Vardy IMO.

No you just thick mate.

No you just thick mate.

Good reply. I like how you deconstructed his argument with perfect ration and intelligence, it's truly an honour to read posts like this. I just wish I was as clever as you obviously are. I mean, it's not like Jack Hobbs was part of one of the best Leicester defences in the past 5 years, was it? As for Matty Fryatt - **** that guy! I don't care if the last full season he was here he scored nearly as many as our current 'top' strikers even though he was out with a broken jaw for a significant amount of time. Both wankers! Hahahahahaha.

Hobbs as many have said is a reasonably reliable defender - good at winning defensive headers, willing to put a block in and not prone to Bambaisms in the back third. So far so good.

Like many big defenders he's not so clever when people run at him or try to pass the ball around him on the floor but plenty of non-Premiership defenders can't marry all the defensive skills which is why they're at the level they're at.

But it's when Hobbs wins or has the ball that the problems start. He just can't be relied on to retain possession and if Pearson is serious about developing the attacking style that we've seen so far this season and which has been so refreshing, there's no way we need a Jack Hobbs.

Possession is paramount and it's no use people like King dropping back to demand the ball off Hobbs cos too often they won't get it.

Hobbs doesn't pass the ball quickly or confidently and whenever he's in any kind of doubt he just hits that aimless nowhere ball 30 yards forward and in the air. Result, far less attacking opportunities and a lot more defending to do.

He's not the only one we've had or even the worst. Brown's distribution was grim to watch, Kisnorbo was another ball waster with Mills just the same. It's just not good enough for what we're trying to achieve.

Furthermore Hobbs is not a fast-turning defender so, again, we team to defend deeper than necessary and that results in a disjointed team which operates in sections rather than a fluid one that attacks and defends as one...and we just won't be successful like that.

One of the great pluses of Morgan and Moore is that they pass the ball quickly and competently unless there's next-to-no option and this has helped give our team far greater fluency this season and allowed us to be much more dominant. We've had much more possession as a result and it has allowed people like King and Drinkwater to shine.

They wouldn't shine with Hobbs, they'd be by-passed too often and would consequently spend too much of their afternoon chasing shadows instead of creating things.

By and large we've finally got a team of accurate fast or reasonably fast passers who work hard and this to me is a solid foundation for success. Any additional signings should fit into that pattern not serve to make it misfire.

Did Hull really sell CS to Burnley for nowt? That's hilarious. Whilst they may not do business we are lucky enough to have a manager who will not pay over the odds and happily look elsewhere. Missing out on some of the deals we did, in hindsight, was a blessing in disguise.

I'd have Hobbs back but would not be starting him ahead of Moore or Morgan at the moment. In fairness to Hobbs he probably deserves more than a Championship bench spot anyway.

I like Hobbs, I like St Ledger. I think they are both capable defenders at this level, and don't see one better than the other. St Ledger is more technical than Hobbs, although I think Hobbs is more dominant as a defender. Would take Hobbs back though, no doubt.

All average players in the Championship. Not ones to get us promotion!

Do you mean every Championship player is average, or we have a squad full of average players?

Whatever you meant, it doesn't matter if a player is 'average' or not. In fact, apart from Newcastle and West Ham, every other team that has been promoted has had a team full of average, but hardworking, players. You don't need a team of superstars to win promotion. Have Blackpool got any superstars? No. Ince is in good form, but he is highlighted alot because of his surname. Did Swansea have any superstars? No... I can continue.

I get fed up with the 'our players are average' comments. We tried getting some big named players in last year, and what happened? Nothing. The last time we nearly got promoted, we had a squad of average, hardworking and consistent players. This is all we need.

I don't care if we have players from non league or League Two, I don't care if he's come from Fulham reserves, as long as he gives 100% each game (like Vardy) and is consistent enough, I'm happy.

Do you mean every Championship player is average, or we have a squad full of average players?

Whatever you meant, it doesn't matter if a player is 'average' or not. In fact, apart from Newcastle and West Ham, every other team that has been promoted has had a team full of average, but hardworking, players. You don't need a team of superstars to win promotion. Have Blackpool got any superstars? No. Ince is in good form, but he is highlighted alot because of his surname. Did Swansea have any superstars? No... I can continue.

I get fed up with the 'our players are average' comments. We tried getting some big named players in last year, and what happened? Nothing. The last time we nearly got promoted, we had a squad of average, hardworking and consistent players. This is all we need.

I don't care if we have players from non league or League Two, I don't care if he's come from Fulham reserves, as long as he gives 100% each game (like Vardy) and is consistent enough, I'm happy.

It's not all about 'workrate' and 'consistency' mate. A player can be consistently 'average' can't they..

Quality IS also important IMO.

Look at Reading for example.... Their promotion chances were dealt a massive bonus with the signing of Jason Roberts. A proven goalscorer both in the Championship and at Prem level. Readings team spirit and work rate was there before Roberts came, but him signing 'sealed the deal' for them.

Now Swansea.... In Scott Sinclair they had a tremendous player at Championship level. Their work ethic was again augmented by the quality of Sinclair ( actually Swansea had others too, but I think he was massively influential for them).

Finally Southampton... Well Lallana was in the Championship team of the year and Rickie Lambert was top goalscorer and well up on the assists table for the division.

Whether people knew whether these players were going to be so crucial or not isn't that important. The fact is these teams had everything you claim (team spirit, work rate etc) AND they actually all had quality players at this level.

What we have to hope for, as City fans, is that one or two of Nige's signings can have the same effect. If Vardy and Marshall, for example, become Leicester's Lambert and Lallana, or Swansea's Sinclair and Dyer then we will have a great shout at promotion. If they don't, then I'm afraid one without the other (work-rate without the quality) probably won't do.

I agree Col, although I was pointing out to DT that you don't need a team of superstars to win promotion. Yes the quality also has to be flowing within the side, but the likes of Reading, Swansea, Blackpool etc didn't have a team of superstars (although Sinclair and Adam moved on to Liverpool and Manchester City).

Did Hull really sell CS to Burnley for nowt? That's hilarious. Whilst they may not do business we are lucky enough to have a manager who will not pay over the odds and happily look elsewhere. Missing out on some of the deals we did, in hindsight, was a blessing in disguise.

Eh..?

Your manager was busting a gut to spunk £1.5m all over Cameron Stewart.. The lad is worth a fraction of that amount

BTW.. He's gone to Burnley on loan until January, Pearson tried again before deadline day but drew another blank

Archived