Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattyFromLE

...but did we expect to win?

Before the season started and we got the fixture lists, out of the first 5-10 games I seem to recall us all being dubious to say the least about our start. Now, Charlton - we played well and didn't take our chances which is becoming a reoccurring theme. Blackburn, but for a disallowed goal we could have come home with a point. Wolves, if Waggy hits the inside of the post and it goes in, we come home with a point and everybody is happy.

A lot of the above is full of ifs buts and maybes, but my question is; Did we expect to win? Charlton are a team full of confidence after spending much of last season winning. Blackburn, to their credit have hung on to some excellent players and on face value we were unlucky to not come home with something. Wolves, are in a similar place - a new manager with something to prove, and players that not so long ago were in the Premier League. Baring this in mind, I think the overreaction has been astonishing.

By comparison to previous seasons, we were losing to teams like Bristol City, Peterborough etc... I have no doubt that the team will turn this around, I also believe that we have had some difficult tests and but for a few mistakes and poor finishing have stood up pretty well all but the results. I know this is a results based business but I believe that will come.

Thoughts?!

There are no easy away games in the Championship and any match can potentially be a loss but you need to pick up points from some of them. I would of been happy with 4 points from 9 but 0 from 9 is just not acceptable

There are no easy away games in the Championship and any match can potentially be a loss but you need to pick up points from some of them. I would of been happy with 4 points from 9 but 0 from 9 is just not acceptable

Hit the nail on the head the fact we are relying on our home form at this stage of the season is a burden and a half the pressure on us to get 6 points from these next 2 homes is immense.

This was my pre season tipping...

18/08/2012 15:00 Leicester 2 Perterborough 0

21/08/2012 19:45 Charlton 1 Leicester 2

25/08/2012 15:00 Blackburn 2 Leicester 1

1/09/2012 17:20 Leicester 1 Blackpool 1

16/09/2012 13:15 Wolves 1 Leicester 1

19/09/2012 19:45 Leicester 1 Burnley 1

22/09/2012 15:00 Leicester 2 Hull 0

All of which i thought... and still think, were reasonable expectations

This was my pre season tipping...

18/08/2012 15:00 Leicester 2 Perterborough 0

21/08/2012 19:45 Charlton 1 Leicester 2

25/08/2012 15:00 Blackburn 2 Leicester 1

1/09/2012 17:20 Leicester 1 Blackpool 1

16/09/2012 13:15 Wolves 1 Leicester 1

19/09/2012 19:45 Leicester 1 Burnley 1

22/09/2012 15:00 Leicester 2 Hull 0

All of which i thought... and still think, were reasonable expectations

So that's still only 2 points dropped? Interesting, as I thought just about the same. My point is, those people who are calling for Pearson's head, did they expect to have a 100% record by now?

So that's still only 2 points dropped? Interesting, as I thought just about the same. My point is, those people who are calling for Pearson's head, did they expect to have a 100% record by now?

I think our play flatters to deceive, 0 points from 9 away is (not) because were were/are unlucky.

It's all about results, playing well should be secondary to us at the minute.

I always think we can win, but I don't expect us to win every game, what I do expect is us to fight for everything in every game and so far we have done that, apart from last 20 minutes of the first half at Charlton we have played with intensity and passion in every game we have played, we have fought to the end, and actually played some cracking stuff too.

We have been found wanting in front of goal, unfortunately and that is where the results come from, but I am not disappointed in the performance and attitude of anyone.

I seem to remember my pre-season hopes and expectations were to:

Finish the season with the same manager that starts it

To compete to the end in every match we play

I think there was one more, but so far I have not been disappointed overall, we are just missing something away from home, whether it is confidence, or experience, or just luck, I don't know, but the only way we can help that is to get behind the lads and cheer them on.

If they ever play in the League like they did against Burton, or like they did countless times last season, you will get a different response from me, but for now, I see very little wrong, unfortunately at the moment every mistake we make away from home is costing us. It sucks, but that is life.

I always think we can win, but I don't expect us to win every game, what I do expect is us to fight for everything in every game and so far we have done that, apart from last 20 minutes of the first half at Charlton we have played with intensity and passion in every game we have played, we have fought to the end, and actually played some cracking stuff too.

We have been found wanting in front of goal, unfortunately and that is where the results come from, but I am not disappointed in the performance and attitude of anyone.

I seem to remember my pre-season hopes and expectations were to:

Finish the season with the same manager that starts it

To compete to the end in every match we play

I think there was one more, but so far I have not been disappointed overall, we are just missing something away from home, whether it is confidence, or experience, or just luck, I don't know, but the only way we can help that is to get behind the lads and cheer them on.

If they ever play in the League like they did against Burton, or like they did countless times last season, you will get a different response from me, but for now, I see very little wrong, unfortunately at the moment every mistake we make away from home is costing us. It sucks, but that is life.

Agree with everything you say. When looking at the fixture list before the season started, I thought we might struggle away but if we won our home games we would not be in too bad a position. We have struggled away in terms of results, but there were too many times last season where we never looked like competing & lost with a whimper.

I am optimistic of us ironing out the mistakes & making progress on last season. We have competed in every game so far & that could not be said last season. There has been no game that has even come close to Bristol or Millwall. If we start turning in performances like that...........then it's time to worry

I hear what your saying, looking back at just the figures, 0 points from 9 is unacceptable, however, as mentioned on the OP we were unlucky in all 3 away games to have not come home with a point or more from all...

As long as we continue to make the chances, the goals just have to come for us, bit of fortune here and there going our way and we'll start converting them away losses into draws and wins... it does for now put a lot oif pressure on us to keep our home form tight, but I still think we can come away this season and be pleased with our performances if what we have seen so far is anything to go by, we seem to have that bit more passion and desire than we did last season, or the start of last season should i say...

Always the Optimist... COYB!

the most frustrating thing that characterises the past few seasons and which must drive NP to despair is the total lack of consistent individual performances by the players some of whom can be premier ship standard in one game and completely anonymous in the next making all the wrong decisions, playing the wrong ball, making the wrong run. Our inability to achieve back to back wins as a result defies statistical logic.

How many times last season did we put a couple of decent performances (home wins followed by a useful away point!) together only to find the next game against a Bristol or a watford who hadn't won in 7 or 8 games and get turned over

This thread has definitely made me feel like i'm not alone in believing that we are still a good team, and will be there or there abouts. The pessimists and pearson-outer's hopefully will be proved wrong!

Yeah it's nice and cosy in here isn't it, just hope the out brigade/negative knee jerkers don't invade and it just turns into the same old arguments.

Keep the faith.

It's fine margins that we're both winning and losing games by at the moment. We need a few tweeks and a bit of a shove, that's all.

We need the strikers to do their job and score goals. They have had plenty of chances which is quite a difference from the previous couple of seasons but have just not been up to the task so far. Nigel has bought in 2 forwards, 1 has not played so far and another has only 1 goal to show for the £1 million outlay. Not good enough imo and could well be the fine line that gets him the chop sooner rather than later,

We had enough posession against Wolves to win it, the problem was the final killer touch. I lost count of the balls that flew across the 6 yard box and on another day the cross fom Marshall that hit their goalie on the shins may have fell to one of ours, or King's early break mey have gone under their defender, Waghorns shot etc. But we are really lacking a real cutting edge, Vardy did not muster a credible shot on goal and Nugent seems to lack the confidence of last season. We have other options so far largely unutilised, perhaps its time to give them an extended chance. Of course we also need to mark/block set set pieces like profesional footballers not like girlies. Oh and I think our French friend ahs done enough to warrant a start?

Our problem has been coming from the strikeforce. We've put out 2 men up front in all 5 games and so far they've only returned 1 goal. Its as simple as that really. I would love to know the goals scored by centre forwards for each team but i would imagine that would put us last or almost last. This despite the fact service from the midfield is vastly improved compared to last season. Defensively we have done about enough.

Is that Nigels fault? Well not really, Vardy has been brought in and scored 1 and arguably should have had a second. Nugent and Beckford have just not found form at all. Should we have brought in another striker? Well on paper our strikeforce isn't bad at all and if reports are to be believed we were after Harry Kane but lost out which happens in football.

Fair thread, but I did expect more than 0 points from 9, in-fact you could pick any three random fixtures in this league, whatever you like, I'm unhappy with 0 from 9.

We got 0 yet came about as close to getting some as you can. It's a ridiculous recurring theme but I do wish to see how we do at Middlesbrough. It'd be total sods law for us to go and play shit there. The sad thing is, they've won every home game.

Overall, the over-reaction from our "fans" has been nothing short of an embarrassment but I think LCFC themselves have some blame to take.

Think we will win tonight,which will start the ball rolling. Agree that we are playing good football & it is a when rather than if we click. Can see us putting a couple past a pretty good Burnley side & spanking Hull, we'll then be up amongst the top for the rest of the season. Come on Citeh!! :scarf: :scarf:

Fair thread, but I did expect more than 0 points from 9, in-fact you could pick any three random fixtures in this league, whatever you like, I'm unhappy with 0 from 9.

We got 0 yet came about as close to getting some as you can. It's a ridiculous recurring theme but I do wish to see how we do at Middlesbrough. It'd be total sods law for us to go and play shit there. The sad thing is, they've won every home game.

Overall, the over-reaction from our "fans" has been nothing short of an embarrassment but I think LCFC themselves have some blame to take.

Agreed. I knew Charlton could be a banana skin, but I expected us to get about 3 or 4 points from those first three away games. I honestly think, having watched the games, that we should have gotten at least a point from the Charlton game and a minimum of 3 points from Blackburn - I've never seen a side lose a more one sided game. Having said that Kean and Blackburn must be doing something right, because despite being a poor side, they're up there. I'm still convinced they'll fall away though.

Definite overreaction so far (although I can see why some are upset, it doesn't look good on paper), and you've made a lot of sense Matt. I think we've been very unlucky playing away so far - no one can deny that on the whole we have been playing smarter and more fluid than last year. And it's far too early to write the team or the manager off - if we were to win 2-0 tonight, we could be sitting at 7th place in the table.

It is gutting that we haven't had a single point in 3 away matches, but with further time to gel I think the creases will be ironed out and come Christmas we hopefully won't be having the defensive lapses, and the attack will be more frequent. Maybe Futacs has something to offer?

We've gotten 4 of the toughest matches of the entire season out of the way now, and played impressively for the most part. We can't change the results but we can be positive and give time to see how everything pans out. If we only get 6 points from the next 5 games, I personally would be mighty surprised.

And those who still want Pearson out, have a look at Peterborough. Now that IS an unenviable start!

Archived