Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Middlesboro' Sat 29/09/12 Pre-Match kvetching & panegyrizing

Merc

Nigel Pearson said there would be no place for sentiment when he returns to his former stomping ground at Middlesbrough tomorrow.

Pearson takes his Leicester City side to the Riverside Stadium in search of their first away point of the season.

• ​4173785.jpg
    Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson

While Pearson admits Boro holds a special place in his heart, the only emotion he wants to experience is the joy of victory.

Pearson spent the final four years of his career at Boro and enjoyed two promotion campaigns, reached the FA Cup and two League Cup finals, including the 1997 Coca-Cola Cup final defeat to City.

"I really enjoyed my time there," he said.

"It is a lovely club with good facilities, but the emphasis is on us going there to get the right result. There is no scope for sentiment.

"They were fantastic years and it is one of the results I look for first. It is the same with all the teams you play for.

"I would like to think I had a good affiliation with the fans, I really enjoyed my time on Teeside."

Although Tony Mowbray's side have had a mixed start to the season, which has mirrored City's in many ways as they have a 100 per cent home record, Pearson believes his former club will be among the promotion-chasing pack.

"There is a lot of expectation surrounding most clubs, including Boro, and a lot of clubs have got off to a reasonable start," he said.

"I know that they have some very good players. I am sure Tony would probably like to be better off points-wise than they are at the moment, but I think that is a reflection of how competitive this league is. But they will be there or thereabouts this season.

"We are aware of their strengths and weaknesses, but what we have to do is make sure we perform close to our maximum as possible."

City have no fresh injury worries ahead of the game, but midfielder Richie Wellens is not yet ready for a first-team return after knee surgery last season.

I would love to be going to this, sadly there is no way I am venturing that far into the northern wastelands at this time of the year...... :(

Or any other time of the year for that matter........ :whistle:

(£115 cheapest train, over £700 to fly, perversely it is cheaper (just!) to fly to Malaga on Easyjet and get a flight from there to Teeside)

Yeh I'd be happy with a draw. Though we should be getting a draw if we fancy being promoted. We can't just keep saying 'Blackburn/Charlton/Wolves/Middlesbrough/Huddersfield/Bristol City etc is a tough away trip'.

Certainly not after a beer or two, that's for sure !!

Merc

Leicester City must be switched on defensively if they are to turn their away form around, full-back Ritchie De Laet insists.

City are yet to pick up a point on the road and head to Middlesbrough today bidding to end a sequence of three consecutive away defeats.

City have conceded early goals in all three defeats and De Laet said they had to stop leaving themselves an uphill battle.

"We have to be on it defensively," he said.

"The last away game (at Wolves) I think they had two shots and they both went in, so we have to change that.

"We have scored in every game so that isn't the problem, so if we can keep the back door locked we will win.

"We are getting punished for every mistake at the moment, especially away. It is just one second where you don't concentrate and it is in the back of the net.

"That is where we have to improve and then take our chances at the other end.

"Our second half performances have been good, but we leave ourselves a bit to do.

"If we can get that first goal, maybe then there is not as much pressure on the strikers, and we can counter-attack like we have shown before."

De Laet admits his last away performance was not his best, as he was caught out for Wolves' second goal at Molineux, but overall he says he is settling in well at City.

He has also promised to continue his exciting forward forays, but admits he is still learning when to tell if the time is right.

"There have been ups and downs," he said.

"The Wolves game, for example, wasn't the best I have played, overall, I think I have made a decent start but I think I can improve.

"The gaffer likes me to go forward, and Paul Konchesky, but you have to pick your moments and that is what I am still learning," added De Laet.

Leicester City must not change their approach as they go in search of their first away points of the season at Middlesbrough today, goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel has urged.

City have lost all three of their opening away fixtures and, through a combination of poor defending and bad luck, have conceded two goals in each game.

However, Schmeichel said City's approach to away games is spot on and they should continue to go on the offensive at the opposition's grounds.

"We approach away games in exactly the same way," said the City stopper.

"Small changes depend on the team we are playing and their style, something specific they do we have to combat, but generally we go into every game exactly the same.

"I don't know why it is, just bad luck sometimes.

"We have been a little bit silly in conceding on a couple of occasions in the first half and given ourselves a mountain to climb but also just unlucky.

"Other than that, we have been alright.

"It is just a case of cutting out those little things that put us on the back foot. That will give us a good platform to build on."

Schmeichel has only been able to keep two clean sheets so far this season, but he hailed his back four and said there was not too much he could do about any of the goals conceded.

"The defence has been brilliant," he said. "It is early days and there will be a few tiny things we can adjust. We are doing that and working hard in training.

"I am very confident playing behind the players I have in front of me. I love playing behind them because they work so hard and throw their bodies on the line for us.

"I don't think I could have done too much about the goals we have conceded. That is the way it is. As a keeper, you have to be mentally tough and not go looking for work. If you do, then that is when you are going to make mistakes."

Archived