Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Modern Day Musical Genius?

Some really interesting answers so far! There's no right or wrong in this its purely opinion based and i agree geniuses don't need a guitar. I personally love guitarists though!

What really strikes me is that looking back at past and present and current 'geniuses' seem to collaborate with each other alot less! So here's another question, if you could have a modern day Travelling Wilbury's, which 4 artists would you like to see get together!

I do wonder if this whole concept of musical genius is a bit naive. any music that stands the test of time over 50 years could be considered genius! Is it too early to really label anyone from the last 10-20 years? Or is it just that the music industry is a crock of shit and real geniuses aren't considered financially viable?

Paul Weller would be the best of the last twenty years I think but no one recently can get close to the old school.

Paul Weller's been writing and performing since the 70s. Does that count as modern day?

Paul Weller's been writing and performing since the 70s. Does that count as modern day?

Suppose not, to be honest I was just trying to think of any musicians still writing good stuff that come close to those mentioned and he's the only one really that came to mind.

It's interesting to see that people who say that the legends of previous eras were better chose arftists like Oasis or Weller, who essentially play music from the 60s.

Queens of the Stone Age have practically been a Travelling Wilburys for me when they had Josh Homme, Mark Lanegan and Dave Grohl all in the line-up.

Having said that, I think sticking lots of great musicians together doesn't always work

I do wonder if this whole concept of musical genius is a bit naive. any music that stands the test of time over 50 years could be considered genius! Is it too early to really label anyone from the last 10-20 years? Or is it just that the music industry is a crock of shit and real geniuses aren't considered financially viable?

The real geniuses have always been overlooked - ask people about the 60s and they will say Lennon, McCartney, Jagger, Richards, Townsend et al. You'll have to dig deeper to find Brian Wilson, Roy Wood, Jeff Beck, Ray Davies, Nick Drake and many others.

One genre I'd mourn the loss of genius in though is R&B - where's the next Wonder or Jacksons or even a TLC dammit! Now it's all "sing about shagging and autotune it until the vocals are indistinguishable from anyone else!"

It's interesting to see that people who say that the legends of previous eras were better chose arftists like Oasis or Weller, who essentially play music from the 60s.

Queens of the Stone Age have practically been a Travelling Wilburys for me when they had Josh Homme, Mark Lanegan and Dave Grohl all in the line-up.

Having said that, I think sticking lots of great musicians together doesn't always work

The real geniuses have always been overlooked - ask people about the 60s and they will say Lennon, McCartney, Jagger, Richards, Townsend et al. You'll have to dig deeper to find Brian Wilson, Roy Wood, Jeff Beck, Ray Davies, Nick Drake and many others.

One genre I'd mourn the loss of genius in though is R&B - where's the next Wonder or Jacksons or even a TLC dammit! Now it's all "sing about shagging and autotune it until the vocals are indistinguishable from anyone else!"

Agreed, soul music too seems almost dead, the days of curtis mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis redding seem to be over.

Agreed, soul music too seems almost dead, the days of curtis mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis redding seem to be over.

They'll come back around! It always does! But your right at this moment in time they are dead genres!

Jeff Lynne! And to prove I'm not really sad I'll go with all the others who said Noel Gallagher. Genius in the fact that although some people say he's recycled the Beatles, to consistently write songs of the calibre that he has, songs that EVERYBODY knows, takes some doing.

Jeff Lynne! And to prove I'm not really sad I'll go with all the others who said Noel Gallagher. Genius in the fact that although some people say he's recycled the Beatles, to consistently write songs of the calibre that he has, songs that EVERYBODY knows, takes some doing.

Everyone knows them because all of his stuff is more or less the same! I love Oasis and Noel Gallagher, but let's be fair - he's no musical genius. He borrowed from The Beatles and he's done more or less the same thing ever since.

Everyone knows them because all of his stuff is more or less the same! I love Oasis and Noel Gallagher, but let's be fair - he's no musical genius. He borrowed from The Beatles and he's done more or less the same thing ever since.

Yeah, but anyone can borrow something badly. He does it with class.

Yeah, but anyone can borrow something badly. He does it with class.

I'm not saying he doesn't - like I said, I'm a big fan, but in my book to be a musical genius you need to break ground and create something unique. I don't think Gallagher's done that really, he's always been riding the coattails of others. Great songwriter though.

Matt Bellamy? Muse have gone downhill a bit in recent years, but their back catalogue is fantastic. I really like his guitar playing, he's got a fantastic voice (albiet a bit marmite...) and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Good call.

I've grown to love Muse over the years. When their older stuff came out, I wasn't too interested because I was in to different music. But listening to it now I can see why they are/were rated so highly.

And definitely agree with the last bit. They really know how to put on a show and simultaneously perform their songs well.

This wont be popular but for me, Tim Wheeler has written some (actually, a lot) of timeless songs that I think will stand the test of time. Brilliant guitar player too, although not a great vocalist.

I'd agree with Kanye and Jay Z. Eminem too, although i'm not a fan. None of them have faultless back catalogues, but who doesn't. At their best they're brilliant.

I think there's loads to be honest - Oasis, Blur, early Strokes, Arctic Monkeys... Rose tinted specs play a massive part when it comes to 'musical legends' in my opinion. Old doesn't mean better. Some of the early Libertines stuff is amazing.

Archived