Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Modern Day Musical Genius?

Matt Bellamy? Muse have gone downhill a bit in recent years, but their back catalogue is fantastic. I really like his guitar playing, he's got a fantastic voice (albiet a bit marmite...) and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

With you on this. I saw them live at Leeds 2000, having controversially skanked watching Oasis headline the main stage in order to do so.

He is a genius.

Hans Zimmer.

Is he the one that composed alot of music to things like The Lion King and The Prince of Egypt? Think he did gladiator and one of the Batman films. If its the same guy, that is.

Yeah he certainly knows what he's doing..... the film industry , i think, is even more difficult to sound original ... so yeah... good shout..

Out of the ones mentioned so far, I'd have to agree with Dr Dre, Jay Z, possibly Kanye West and Matt Bellamy. Noel Gallagher has admitted to a lot of ideas in the past, and while I don't give a fuck if it makes for a good record, I suppose that technically discounts him from 'genius' status. He's still a fantastic songwriter though.

Not sure who to narrow it down to specifically (probably Flea or Frusciante), but what about the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

This is one that many may disagree with... but i truly believe the finest songwriter and musician of recent years is...

Tim Minchin, unfortunately, because he is also incredibly funny, his songwriting isnt often recognised.

Jonsi (Sigur Ros) musically sublime, has produced some of the greatest albums of the decade imo and most of all, sings in his own made up language!

Notable mentions: Thom Yorke, Kanye West, Billy Joel Armstrong, as a group I think Arcade Fire should be up there with the best, again in terms of albums I dont think you cannot better funeral, neon bible and the suburbs as a collection.

Potential curve ball here...Chris Martin? I know its uncool to like them (apparently) but this man has penned some classics.

Glad that the genius Bellamy has had a few mentions. Muse are my favourite band so I am biased a bit but the songs he writes both lyrically and musically are nigh on perfection. The latest album isn't exactly classic Muse but still the songs are great. The back catalogue is just simply amazing, anyone never listened to them beyond the singles I recommend listening to the tracks Sunburn, Dead Star, Space Dementia, Citizen Erased, Stockholm Syndrome, Falling Away With You, city of delusion, glorious, exogenesis pt 1 through to 3 and finally MK ultra.

The albums have everything, love stories, political views, fun riffs, deep baselines (Hysteria best baseline ever!)

And as has Already been said boy do these boys know how to put on a decent show. Seen them live twice (soon to be 3 times) and the whole gigs have been perfect from a visual spectacle, note perfect vocals and guitar and all round entertaining. I see why some people don't get it or dislike the band but in my opinion they are the best band in the world right now and have been for the past 5-8 years.

Oh they just came up on my shuffle... Godley and Creme - incrediblely talented song writers... but.. maybe they are a litttle too old?

edit... the next on my shuffle... and defintily young enough- Regina Spektor :)

Heaven forbid anyone write lyrics about their personal experiences!

Not every single song though! To me it shows a lack of understanding about how other people feel.

Purple Ron is wrong about all rappers being self-obsessed though.

Archived