Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Modern Day Musical Genius?

So in the past we have had the likes of John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Lyne, Pete Townshend, Kurt Cobain etc etc.

Of the artists of the last 10-20 years, who would you class as real musical genius??

Mine has to be Jack White, saw him live a few weeks ago and he was immense. Between the White Stripes, The Raconteurs, Dead Weather and his solo stuff he has written some of my all time favorite songs but the way he performs them live really was something else!

So who's your modern day musical genius?

Doubt many will agree but for me Noel Gallagher.

This.

One of our own - Serge Pizzorno? Maybe, perhaps genius is abit too much, but certainly the man behind one of the best bands around at this current time. Granted there isn't much to rival them at the current time though.

Obviously the likes of Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn are good shouts. Not everyones cup of tea but Chris Martin has consistently knocked out decent songs over the last decade or so.

Music has changed so much I'm not sure people will be held in such higher regard as some of those in the original list.

Not sure about some of the ones mentioned, not sure they've bought anything new to the table, infact people like noel gallagher have churned up the past (i.e Beatles), I do like some of the oasis records but genius....nah.

Even though I'm not really a fan I would suggest someone like Bjork who has continually changed and adapted and doesn't compromise and is definately original.

Paul Weller? I know he rose decades ago, but he is still writing and releasing music.

Other than that, can't really think off top of my head. Some of Oasis' music is decent, but it does repeat a bit (I've always liked Blur better anyway). Depends what you define as genius really, but nobody nowadays matches the likes of Lennon, Townshend, Dylan etc

Archived