Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Burnley 0 - 1 City (A)

21 games left of the season we have 41 points I would hazard a guess that we would need at least 48 points to secure automatic promotion.

16 wins out of 21 manageable or not?

I reckon 85 pts might do it. This would equate to roughly 15 wins required really as a minimum. 16 is a bit steep imo.

I think we can win every home game from now until the end though. We'd still need to win half of our away games though. Tough ask.

Brilliant, exactly the kind of game we never normally win, and we've got it.

Main feelings are we were lucky that Austin went off, we allowed them a couple of guilt edged chances, I was surprised enough they were missed anyway, but I'd have been recovering from shock if Austin had, we were lucky in that sense.

But other than that I didn't think we were bad, very encouraging going forward at times, Knockaert hit and miss, Marshall wasn't bad & Dyer poor, but the two players who stood out for me were Nugent who was at the absolute top of his game today, everything I like about him shone through. The other is Matt James, honestly don't remember him giving the ball away, looked far less lethargic than before, very similar to King at his best.

Futacs' cameo was also very impressive too.

Not a classic but that's the kind of game that the genuine promotion contenders will always win, that was very encouraging and sets us up very nicely with the new signings coming in too.

Fantastic win in what was a very scrappy game. We looked so much better when we got the ball down and played. Burnley were poor.

Morgan, Nugent and James were our standout players. Moore was probably the weakest link, gave the ball away a fair bit and a couple if dodgy back passes were put in but luckily we got away with it.

Another clean sheet and 3 points where we don't have the greatest of records makes for a good day at the office.

Fantastic win in what was a very scrappy game. We looked so much better when we got the ball down and played. Burnley were poor.

Morgan, Nugent and James were our standout players. Moore was probably the weakest link, gave the ball away a fair bit and a couple if dodgy back passes were put in but luckily we got away with it.

Another clean sheet and 3 points where we don't have the greatest of records makes for a good day at the office.

Since the millennium i can remember us winning there 4times now so wouldn't say our record was that bad there. Certainly have worse records elsewhere.

Very much needed win though and think this will put on a good run.

21 games left of the season we have 41 points I would hazard a guess that we would need at least 48 points to secure automatic promotion.

16 wins out of 21 manageable or not?

You don't think we'll draw any? Or do you not understand how football works? :S

You don't think we'll draw any? Or do you not understand how football works? :S

I could do all the possible points calculations if you want?

15 wins 3 draws 3 losses

14 wins 6 draws 1 loss

etc

But it is easier in my mind to say 16 wins! obviously we need average from here on now 2 points a game

This is why I think automatic was always going to be tough. Our instability over the last however many years hasn't been good for the short term future of the club. For us to be one of the two best teams in the league after mucking about with Pearson, Sousa, Sven and Pearson again is asking a lot this quickly.

Despite this, plenty of our fans still expect us to be up there. I'll say it again, one of the two best teams in the league. I think it'll be quite an achievement after the ins and outs we've had over the last few years. For me, a good manager + stability + growth beats throwing money at success. I'm not saying money doesn't have its place but it rarely delivers immediately which a lot of our fans have come to expect.

The point total is tricky and there's a long way to go. There does seem to be a lot of challengers at the moment and January will be a big month for a lot of teams including us. I think it could be as low as 84/85 points if it stays this competitive, but that depends on whether a team starts to run away with 2nd. I can see Cardiff staying up there but I really don't think Hull are going up in 2nd. It's been the case all season but a few weeks of consistent results can put a team right in the mix or drop them right out of it.

This is why I think automatic was always going to be tough. Our instability over the last however many years hasn't been good for the short term future of the club. For us to be one of the two best teams in the league after mucking about with Pearson, Sousa, Sven and Pearson again is asking a lot this quickly.

Despite this, plenty of our fans still expect us to be up there. I'll say it again, one of the two best teams in the league. I think it'll be quite an achievement after the ins and outs we've had over the last few years. For me, a good manager + stability + growth beats throwing money at success. I'm not saying money doesn't have its place but it rarely delivers immediately which a lot of our fans have come to expect.

The point total is tricky and there's a long way to go. There does seem to be a lot of challengers at the moment and January will be a big month for a lot of teams including us. I think it could be as low as 84/85 points if it stays this competitive, but that depends on whether a team starts to run away with 2nd. I can see Cardiff staying up there but I really don't think Hull are going up in 2nd. It's been the case all season but a few weeks of consistent results can put a team right in the mix or drop them right out of it.

Agreed.

Second place is up for grabs, Cardiff are going to have to really mess up to loose first place cannot see that happening although you never know in football.

Any Nigel Pearson team is disciplined and well organised. It kinda goes with the territory. The players mainly seem to want to play for him and I'm convinced he takes little shit from them.

For me, this has never been in doubt and was the main reason why I was so chuffed to learn he was returning after the chaos we were under with Sven.

But, and it's a big but, I simply felt the squad he was left with was just not good enough, in terms of ability, to get promoted.

I'm still not sure we are. Pound for pound, we have good players, but I think there's many better players in the Championship playing for other teams.

With the introduction of Wood and possibly Baptiste, again, these are two solid players who I believe will do a good job for us. Whether they are going to be sufficiently good to raise the general ability of the team to gain promotion remains to be seen.

But today has given me renewed hope actually as it shows that Pearson is more than willing to mix the team up when he needs to, can vary the tactical starting line up when he needs to and is doing exactly what he said he'd do at the start of the season ie rotate the squad.

I remain content that Pearson is a good manager and, given time, he will continue to build upon the good and improve the bad. In this way, we will have a decent shout of some success.

Any Nigel Pearson team is disciplined and well organised. It kinda goes with the territory. The players mainly seem to want to play for him and I'm convinced he takes little shit from them.

For me, this has never been in doubt and was the main reason why I was so chuffed to learn he was returning after the chaos we were under with Sven.

But, and it's a big but, I simply felt the squad he was left with was just not good enough, in terms of ability, to get promoted.

I'm still not sure we are. Pound for pound, we have good players, but I think there's many better players in the Championship playing for other teams.

With the introduction of Wood and possibly Baptiste, again, these are two solid players who I believe will do a good job for us. Whether they are going to be sufficiently good to raise the general ability of the team to gain promotion remains to be seen.

But today has given me renewed hope actually as it shows that Pearson is more than willing to mix the team up when he needs to, can vary the tactical starting line up when he needs to and is doing exactly what he said he'd do at the start of the season ie rotate the squad.

I remain content that Pearson is a good manager and, given time, he will continue to build upon the good and improve the bad. In this way, we will have a decent shout of some success.

Loving 90% of that post Col :thumbup: and remember it's the "sum of the parts" which IMO bodes well for our continual improvement. I still believe auto place could be as low as 84 points, due to the nature of this league :dunno: and I still believe we have a real shot at this, time will tell :chant:

Loving 90% of that post Col :thumbup: and remember it's the "sum of the parts" which IMO bodes well for our continual improvement. I still believe auto place could be as low as 84 points, due to the nature of this league :dunno: and I still believe we have a real shot at this, time will tell :chant:

:thumbup:

A narrow 0-1 win against a poor Burnley side who lost their only effective forward after 2 minutes.......:(

Don't confuse a great result with another mediocre performance, there remains a hell of a lot to do if we are going to be serious about promotion.

A lot of folks seem to think new players brought in next month will make the difference, personally I can't see them making much of a difference if we continue to play the same way that we have of late.

Later in this thread you pointed towards a more defensive, cautious approach as the cause of City's recent slump but perhaps that was just due to the club having a thin squad. Injuries and fatigue have affected City's play, and these signings will give us some much-needed depth.

Spot on, fully agreed and glad to see others share my view.

Two words which I believe sum up yesterday's performance are 'Tenacity' and 'Determination'. It was indeed a scrappy game and Burnley's finishing must have been as frustrating to them as the City's finishing is often to us.

But we wanted it. When there was a chase for the ball, our player took a longer stride, pumped their arms and like a dog after a stick, snarled away until he was in possession.

There was a period late in the first half when we appeared persistently to give the ball away but in some ways I saw it as movement off the ball was not as slick as it can be.

I was amazed at how totally quiet it was at times with both sets of fans sat in silence. The chant from City fans at one point 'We forgot that you were there' seemed most apt.

Huddersfield must be dreading coming to Leicester. In the night-match at Huddersfield, we played them off the park - we could have been the 'home' team that night.

I was at the game yesterday & thought Moore was pretty average to say the least , would love to see young George Taft get a run out , he must be another player that has upset Pearson , at about 6ft 6" tall looks very strong in the air & possesses a beautiful left foot

I was at the game yesterday & thought Moore was pretty average to say the least , would love to see young George Taft get a run out , he must be another player that has upset Pearson , at about 6ft 6" tall looks very strong in the air & possesses a beautiful left foot

Or maybe he's not very good/not ready for the first team yet.

Archived