Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Burnley 0 - 1 City (A)

Why comment on tactics and formation in games you haven't seen?

We didnt set up to play conservatively today and whilst it wasnt the best performance, it wasnt any worsethan some of the Csrdiff performances Ivee seen this year. You're got going to be amazing for 10 months every season and these games at Burnley where you dont play great are the games that can make or break your season

I did not get to the Burnley game but I thought I made it clear that I was commenting on our recent run of games, many of which I did sea.

For me this became obvious in the Millwall game, having missed a few games due to moving house this was my first match in 3-4 weeks and I was shocked by what I saw.

The fluid passing style that took us to the top of the league was gone, our setup was cautious and rigid, our fullbacks were no longer making forward runs, the wide men stayed wide and mostly deep, their defensive duties seemingly the priority.

With our front 2 well forward we had absolutely no one open for a pass out of defence and even when someone did bring the ball out the only option was to hit it long.

We could not possibly have given Millwall an easier ride if we had tried and whilst this was the poorest that I have seen us play this season we are still over cautious and negative, even at home where we made no real attempt to get after Cardiff.

Much needed and very welcome win, deserved on the balance of play, one very well created and taken goal and we could've added to it late on several times.

Burnley were poor and there for the taking, it won't live long in the memory but another clean and an away win should bring confidence to the side.

Morgan again was the standout player, Konchesky was improved, James our best midfielder and Nugent did as well as he could in the lone striker role.

Need to build on it now

What the **** is he messing around with Gallagher again for?

Because with Dyer, Marshall & Knocky starting... one of them is bound to be subbed (usually Knocky as he always fades awfully, loses shape and contributes nothing as matches go on) & Gally could play in all 3 of those position.

Seems rather obvious to me. Not to mention putting him in the shop window ahead of the Jan window

Speaking as one who had to sit thro it, it was the most disappointing 90 mins football I can remember recently. When Little went off you could feel the mood change for Burnley, they were there for the taking, we should have had six, instead we could barely string three passes together, and none of those going forward. NP should have changed the formation after 20mins, no point packing a mid field when we are falling over each other and desperate for another body in attack. Konch looked tired, no zip or real interest, Moore struggled at CB, much better wider.I have never liked Marshall, so more ammunition here, Dyer looked tired and played with no purpose. Knockeart needs to temper his desire to score in each game and live with an assist, now and again. Experiment with one up front failed, even though Nugent was our Man of the Match. For me City don't work if King doesnt play, he is the oil in our motor, its not sexy, you don't see whats achieved but he gets the others rolling. If you don't have the oil in the engine, it don't work, and it didn't yesterday. I have no stats on King starting games Vs results, but as a functioning football team he is the catalyst, for me. I did not see in James the improvements others noticed, but it says something that I was relieved to see Waghorn come on. Gallagher was indeed the waste of a sub that others pointed out, he looked suspect, onthe other hand Futacs played a lovely cameo role, showing ability to hold the ball up and turn, flick on the long ball and generally get his head in where Burnley didn't want it, needs more playing time on that showing, ahead of Waghorn. We were our own worst enemy, we made a very poor side look like a threat at times because we played the wrong style of football to what was required. Can't fault three points, delighted by the result, but I go to watch a football match, didn't see one yesterday.

Speaking as one who had to sit thro it, it was the most disappointing 90 mins football I can remember recently. When Little went off you could feel the mood change for Burnley, they were there for the taking, we should have had six, instead we could barely string three passes together, and none of those going forward. NP should have changed the formation after 20mins, no point packing a mid field when we are falling over each other and desperate for another body in attack. Konch looked tired, no zip or real interest, Moore struggled at CB, much better wider.I have never liked Marshall, so more ammunition here, Dyer looked tired and played with no purpose. Knockeart needs to temper his desire to score in each game and live with an assist, now and again. Experiment with one up front failed, even though Nugent was our Man of the Match. For me City don't work if King doesnt play, he is the oil in our motor, its not sexy, you don't see whats achieved but he gets the others rolling. If you don't have the oil in the engine, it don't work, and it didn't yesterday. I have no stats on King starting games Vs results, but as a functioning football team he is the catalyst, for me. I did not see in James the improvements others noticed, but it says something that I was relieved to see Waghorn come on. Gallagher was indeed the waste of a sub that others pointed out, he looked suspect, onthe other hand Futacs played a lovely cameo role, showing ability to hold the ball up and turn, flick on the long ball and generally get his head in where Burnley didn't want it, needs more playing time on that showing, ahead of Waghorn. We were our own worst enemy, we made a very poor side look like a threat at times because we played the wrong style of football to what was required. Can't fault three points, delighted by the result, but I go to watch a football match, didn't see one yesterday.

That sounds like a fair assessment of what was being described on the radio, but more insightful.

Kingy was pretty much ever present in the team that took us to the top of the table and which played such incisive football at times.

It was suggested he'd been rested yesterday - and I could understand that - although whether that's Cityspeak for being punished for being at fault for Cardiff's goal I don't know.

Far-fetched? Well Schluppy made an error or two in the game before he all-but disappeared from the scene, although, if that's the reasoning, it does seem we're selective about whose mistakes we notice and whose get overlooked.

Add mistakes together and produce a team list and I'd doubt Knockaert or Whitbread would ever be picked. Dwelling on it, didn't Youngy refer to some stats he'd got on how many times Knockaert gave the ball away during part of the game against Burnley? They didn't sound impressive unless I misunderstood.

Don't doubt that I think Knockaert's a talented individual. But "individual" is the key word. When people talked about him moving off the wing and playing central midfield I said he'd be a liability in that role and he's done nothing to change my mind since.

As for playing off a lone striker he's safer there but I still don't see how the striker would read him or feel at all happy by his lack of defensive contribution - as Nugent made plain at Turf Moor.

We need to pass the ball again and that means using players who are central to that aim.

If I was a fan from another club looking in on this and other threads I would think we were an absolute joke! Opinions are one thing but the anal over analysis and constant flow of negativity and criticism is pathetic. Criminal is this is after a hard fought victory and clean sheet away from home. Total embarassment. :nono:

Archived