Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

TWIH: Leicester's Bid To Sign Cruyff

OS

Posted: Fri 01 Mar 2013

Author: John Hutchinson

twih-jc-4x3280-687235_478x359.jpg

Johan Cruyff playing for BarcelonaImage by: PA Photos

In the latest of his ‘The Week in History’ blogs, Club Historian John Hutchinson recalls a transfer attempt that was so audacious, it has entered into Leicester City folklore

For a short while, 32 years ago this week, it looked as though Leicester City were about to sign one of the biggest names in world football. His name was Johan Cruyff. He was a Dutch superstar.

twih-jc-1280-687219.jpg

To understand the impact that this story had on Leicester, and on the football world, it is worth recalling Cruyff’s honours in the game.

Until Lionel Messi won the Ballon D’Or for the fourth time in 2013, Cruyff, along with those other footballing greats Michel Platini and Marco van Basten, held the record for winning that prestigious trophy for a record three times. He won it in 1971, 1973 and 1974.

Such was his reputation that he was voted ‘European Player of the Century’ in 1999 by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics. He also came second, behind the incomparable Pele, in that organisation’s ‘World Player of the Century’ poll.

With Ajax, he won the Eridivisie (the highest football league in the Netherlands) eight times and the KNVB (Netherlands) Cup five times. He was also in that marvellous Ajax side which won the European Cup , (the forerunner of the present Champions League) on three occasions, in 1971, 1972 and 1973. His other honours at Ajax included the UEFA Intertoto Cup, the UEFA Super Cup ( twice) and the Intercontinental Cup. He was European Footballer of the Year in 1971

As a Barcelona Player he won La Liga in 1974, and the Copa del Rey four years later.

twih-jc-2280-687224.jpg

Cruyff was capped 48 times for the Netherlands, scoring 33 goals. He led the Dutch side to the runners-up spot in the 1974 World Cup Final and was named the Player of the Tournament. He was central to the concept of ‘total football’ employed by Ajax and by the Netherlands team. In this system, players fluidly switched positions to devastating effect whilst retaining the team’s structure and pattern.

In 1978 Cruyff went to play in the North American Soccer League for two years. He played for Los Angeles Aztecs and then for the Washington Diplomats.

Then, early in 1981, at the age of 33, he entered into negotiations with Leicester City!

This was a very unlikely combination.

Leicester City, managed by Jock Wallace, had been promoted to the Old First Division as Second Division Champions in 1980. Jock confidently predicted that his young side would win the First Division title. Early results were indeed promising. There were victories over Liverpool (when young Andy Peake scored a wonder goal) and over Leeds United.

However by the time that Leicester City entered into negotiations with Cruyff, they were bottom of the table. Wallace’s idea was that by signing the Dutch superstar until the end of the season, relegation could be avoided. It was intended that the financial outlay necessary to attract Cruyff to Filbert Street would be recouped by increased attendances.

twih-jw-4280-687228.jpg

The Directors’ Minutes from the time provide an insight into this proposed deal. They report that Jock Wallace, who had known Cruyff since a European tie between Wallace’s Glasgow Rangers and Ajax in 1973, had spoken to the superstar and had planned for him to come to Leicester on February 12.

Hopes were high. Cruyff seemed to be interested.

However some doubts were creeping in that the deal might not happen.

On 25 February, Jock Wallace reported to the Board that Cruyff had stated that he was now not interested in joining Leicester City. The manager told the Directors that he would therefore inform the press about the negotiations between the Club and Cruyff in an attempt to force the player’s hand. He said that he expected a firm decision by the end of the week. He was still hopeful.

This ploy backfired. On 26 February 1981, Wallace received a call from Cruyff’s agent saying that the Dutchman was going to sign for the Spanish Club Levante. They had reportedly offered him fifty per cent of the gate money as part of the deal.

twih-jc-3280-687226.jpg

And so it was that, 32 years ago this week, one of the most ambitious and audacious forays ever made by Leicester City into the transfer market was dead.

For a brief time though, the fans felt that the deal, outrageous as it was, might just be possible.

I remember it well as a 10 year old. I also recall sitting in the car with my Dad, waiting to pick my Mum up from work on DeMontfort Street when news came through on Radio Leicester that he wouldn't be signing. Devastated!!

It seemes that Cruyff often gets overlooked when people discuss the 'best ever'........but he would definitely make my top 5, gliding past players like they weren't there!!

It seemes that Cruyff often gets overlooked when people discuss the 'best ever'........but he would definitely make my top 5, gliding past players like they weren't there!!

I obviously wasn't alive when he played, but from the footage I've seen on him he would be on my 'best ever' list. Just seemed so complete, as another football said about him (can't remember who).

He started Barcelona current trend in football 'roundea'(sp?) too think that could of been us.

Aye it was him, he's the one who laid the foundations for it all and has a huge part to play in La Masia (their academy).

My Dad also told me about this a few years back, it wasn't until I got a little older that I realised how big of a coup it would have been. The man seemed to be an absolute genius, with a philosophy to match. To have that in England would be one thing, at Leicester City would have been even greater!

I remember this story. In those days, there was no Sky News/24 hour coverage of such developments, so we had to rely on the Leicester Mercury and Radio Leicester. I think our next game was against Forest and I remember writing out the players for the match. I gave Cruyff the number 11 shirt, playing alongside Alan Young and Jim Melrose. Genuinely believed it was going to happen such was Jack Wallace's charisma and the belief we all had in him.

I remember doing my paper round in the morning and looking through the papers @ the end of people's driveways to see if 'The Man ' had signed with my mate who was also a Leicester fan

Just gutted having to go to school and face all the plastics that I'd boasted about the Cruyff signing to

Gutted - even if he'd have been shit I could have still said that Johan Cruyff had played for us!!

Archived