Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

game time v money

Watching logan warm up on friday got me thinking, if i had been lucky enough to make a living from football. Would i have been content to sit on a bench and pick up a decent wage, or move to a different club for possibly less wages but play more often? Not having a go at logan himself, and im sure other clubs have similar players. Just wondering if it shows lack of ambition and when he eventually retires he might regret not playing as much as he could.

difficult one really as its a short career and obviously the more money you make from it the better

Harper the "spare" Goalkeeper at Newcastle is a classic example of this, still a realiable goalkeeper when required but never really got a look in when they had Given etc. I think he's actually called it quits now after something like 14 years. I suppose though its a goalkeepers life when theres only 1 position but always the need for a spare.

Can't think of any outfield players though that bench warm for many a season without getting on even as a sub.

They're professionals. It's quite possible that some of them don't even like football. You can't judge them on how you'd feel, after all, it's important that we have a level of competence on the bench so they're made to feel valuable, and they are. Just as strength in other positions from the bench is important.

Good question OP.

I've often thought how it must feel to constantly work and train and not actually use the skills .

Obviously it's a tough call if you've got financial responsibilities but I'd hope if it was me I'd take less money to play regularly .

I think Logan is more into his horse racing to be honest. I find it odd though that some players are happy just to sit in the reserves and collect there money at the end of the month.

I suppose it happens in any sort of work place. You will get the employee who will come to work and just plod along with no ambition and pick up his wages and then you will get someone who applies for every internal vacancy to promote himself to the top or seek the same line of work at a higher level at a different company.

Personally I have never really liked Logan as a player, he seems very calamity and always looks to blame other people for his mistakes and not accept responsibility

With Logan, he is 26 now so still not that old for a keeper and his contract up this season, I just wonder whether it's a case of making sure he's financially secure (which he will be after having been with us) and then getting a good 10 years or so playing League 2 maybe League 1 football.

You do hear a bit about footballers from big clubs who dropped to lower divisions at 20/21 and then sort of fall out of the game with no real financial savings behind them and no education having left school at 16 to puruse football. Maybe Conny's guarding against that? I don't know.

But in general, I love the game of football and I feel like, were I to be in his situation, there'd come a point where I'd just want to get out and play.

The thing is though, its the same with every single club, probably in the world. Every team has a first choice keeper who if fit and in form, will always play. For me its the most important position on the pitch to get right. Have a shaky keeper, and you've instantly got a shaky defence and so forth.

But yeah, like others of said, Logan probably does exactly the same as Kasper does over the week apart from the 90 minutes at the end of it and probably collects i dunno, 2 grand a week perhaps? (Total guesswork)

Not a bad gig if you can get it.

There are many different footballers. The players that want to play football (many examples of players that drop down divisions to play), the players that are happy to take the money regardless of game time (Logan being an example) and the loyal footballers that want to play for that one club (Gerrard, Scholes etc).

I recall Logan having one season where he was number one. Apart from that,like many second choice goalkeepers, he has always had a better goalkeeper in front of him. Logan could easily drop down a level to play every game if he wanted to, but lets be honest, he's safe here at the minute. He doesn't play, yet still gets a decent wage.

Would be interesting to know how much he's on. Maybe £1k - £2k per week. Nowhere near enough to not have to worry about money. We probably pay him a fair bit more than he'd get at L2 level where he'd play more regularly, which poses him a dilemma which is unique to goalkeepers, since an outfield player who you have no intention of playing will likely be sold.

I like to think i'd go to where i'd play first team football, but if the choice is between £1.5k per week sitting on the bench at Leicester, or £500 per week playing for a League 2 side, i'd probably choose to look after myself financially first.

Let's not forget he is only sat on the bench for 90 mins a week maybe 180. Trains everyday most probably as much as kasper. He doesn't literally do nothing and get paid.

That's very true of course and I don't think anyone is begrudging his payment . But it's a bit like constantly rehearsing for a play and not actually appearing in front of the audience.

The question is more about the psychology of a player prepared to spend his career in this way .

Depends on the role of the player within the squad, whether he is happy with that, whether he is trying to maintain an international career.........a multitude of factors

Personally I'd rather have game time. To be going in everyday and training then to go and sit on a bench for 90 minutes every week what's the point?

When he's retired and he looks back on his career what's he going to have? Less than 200 career appearances I imagine.

I'm sure he could still live a comfortable life on a league 1 or 2 wage. Who's to say that regular football with some good performances he might start drawing the attention of championship clubs. He's certainly got age on his side.

Guest parky0607

Even though I admire the way he is happy to never play an actual part as such and just collect the money, if it was me, my love for the game would take over too much and Id take a pay cut to drop down. At the end of the day, if you're playing, you've got a chance of getting seen by other (potentially bigger) clubs anyway, which may sort you out financially.

He's extremely lucky to have such a talent and to have been picked up by a club, I personally couldn't waste that opportunity and he will only be fit to do this for a fraction of his lifetime.

Even though I admire the way he is happy to never play an actual part as such and just collect the money, if it was me, my love for the game would take over too much and Id take a pay cut to drop down. At the end of the day, if you're playing, you've got a chance of getting seen by other (potentially bigger) clubs anyway, which may sort you out financially.

He's extremely lucky to have such a talent and to have been picked up by a club, I personally couldn't waste that opportunity and he will only be fit to do this for a fraction of his lifetime.

This.

Anyone who has played football at any standard knows there isn't any better feeling than waking up on the day off a game.

Like you say he's been given a talent and he'd happily just sit on a bench wasting it away for what the sake of more money? If he showed a bit more ambition he would take a pay cut, get regular football at a lower league team make a decent career for himself and try to earn a move back into the championship.

Archived