Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Bernie

He used to live in Quorn many years ago but the house he lived in got knocked down, think it was condemned or something but I just remember his wife being more mental than he was! and he I think he had a job in the ring o'bells in Loughborough as a glass collector either that or he just walked around picking peoples empty glasses up, you never know with bernie.

My fav Bernie story was the one before the sheff utd away game few years ago, Bernie come through the turnstile we all started shouting blue army at him he joins in and go's straight into the girls toilets, 2 stewards go straight in after him and chuck him out.....could not of been in the ground more than a minute!!

Went to Scunny away on Fox Travel in 2009/10. Got on the coach just after the final whistle and he was fast asleep on the seats lol

Has anyone seem him outside of a match day? Is he the same or does he go to games as a character?

Seen him in Coalville one time going into the bookies. No face paint, but he did have some sort of blue Leicester jacket on, not his usual one though :(

Not calling you a liar mate but I doubt he's 78. He isn't exactly frail and has the loudest voice of any 78 year old I've ever seen... plus surely if he was 78 his liver would have packed up by now?

He's been a "celeb" Leicester fan for going on 20 years now, I believe he was brought onto the pitch at half time by the Birch in around 1993 or 1994, and he's always looked old from what I recall, so I'd say it's feasible he'd be in his 50s back then.

I know his old local was The Counting House though haven't seen him in there ages either. Has anyone ever had the smelly experience of sitting next to him?

My first game back at City after 30 years+ in OZ, took my Derby supporting cousin along and lo and behold... we were sat right next to Bernie.

He came in 10 mins before the game started, spent the first 5 minutes abusing Warnock... WAAARNNAAARKKK iSSS A CAAAARNNNT! (keep in mind we were playing Derby and Warnock had no involvement in any way and was prob 200 miles away with QPR i think)

Another 3 mins of assorted GRAHHHNFFFFFFF HGGGGGGGGGGGGGG LESTA!

He then turned to my cousin, smiled at her and said, "dont worry im harmless" and went back to abusing Warnock

Watched about 15 mins of the game and then walked off...and didnt return.

Will be a sad day when that RIP thread needs to be started.

Edited by ozleicester

Not calling you a liar mate but I doubt he's 78. He isn't exactly frail and has the loudest voice of any 78 year old I've ever seen... plus surely if he was 78 his liver would have packed up by now?

You're not calling me a liar, yet you are questioning the truth in what I said.....

Trust me mate, I know an old person's memory may not be the most reliable source but I guarantee that he is mid to late 70s. How old do you think he is? He looks like shit!

Has anyone seem him outside of a match day? Is he the same or does he go to games as a character?

Years ago I worked in Budgens in Mountsorrel and served him - I was mostly amazed at how stumpy his hands were (and how quiet he was in the shop)

About the same time (2004) I was walking through Quorn one evening and walked past him. The entire way up the road he was yelling "**** off Derby, **** off Forest!" - wasn't even a matchday! He lives and breathes Leicester, hope he's alright (as "alright" as he usually is)

Basically a real-life Father Jack, seems to survive anything. Wouldn't be surprised if he's done a few pints of Toilet Duck in his day.

• Like 1

He lives across the road from me, not seen him in a while but that's nothing new, he,s well known around here for obvious reasons so if anything was wrong then we'd soon get to know. He is at least 78, I actually thought he was in his 80's. Despite what people think he actually spends very little time in the pub around these parts so unless he drinks heavily at home then I doubt he is anywhere near being an alcoholic however he is totally crackers....

I know we all dread the day, but when he does pass away; he needs to be properly remembered in some way.

Either a massive piss up at his reception, a bronze statue in one of the stands or a new mascot should do :ph34r:

Joking aside, I do think it'd be appropriate for fans to chip in for a bench and/or plaque at the memorial garden as and when he does pass away.

The man absolutely adores Leicester City and it's something I'm sure he'd want.

Joking aside, I do think it'd be appropriate for fans to chip in for a bench and/or plaque at the memorial garden as and when he does pass away.

We should think about training up a Young Bernie to continue his legacy when he sadly does move on.

Any volunteers?

We should think about training up a Young Bernie to continue his legacy when he sadly does move on.

Any volunteers?

I have several friends who are more than willing to step into his shoes I'm sure.

Edited by Bilo

Prehaps renaming the 1884 to Bernies bar would be more apt.