Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Leicester 1-2 Watford Post Match

Likable small clubs for me are Barnsley or Wigan. Well run clubs who achieve well for their size.

Watford were hanging on in this division until they became a franchise of a multi club owner.

Only thing Watford have going for them is their London postcode.

Well at least our dodgy loans have achieved something - your massive injections of far-eastern cash haven't.

To be honest you havn't achieved anything yet. Odds are still that we'll both be in the championship next season.

Playing a flat 4-4-2 was always going to be our undoing against a team such as Watford. While neither centre midfielder had a bad game, they were quite simply outnumbered by the three Watford centre midfielders, while Vydra dropped off the front two regularly. I was worried when I saw the team and unfortunately we were never able to cope with their off the ball running.

We managed to fluke a goal back (which was a fluke, a Konchesky shot deflected onto Kane's head) but despite having the ball around the Watford box for a decent amount of time, we never looked like equalising.

Where we go from here I'm not sure. I'd like stability but Nigel is tactically clueless and the way we've imploded since February is frightening. He's been powerless to arrest the slump and maybe a new man with new ideas would do the team the world of good.

As for the Watford fans, they were arrogant before the game, shit during it and arrogant after. If it wasn't for the hull fans idiocy from a few months back I'd be praying for a hull win. As it is, I hope neither of you go up lol

1,500 is that all? And given you were winning for more than 45 mins its pretty shit. If you were top support people on here would have said so, we've praised other teams support after they had beaten us.

Hard to compete with 23,000 clackers. I admit.

I thought we did well last night. On another day we could have won 1-0 or 2-1.

It was just those 5 minutes of madness at the end of the first half that finished the game. 2 goals, one of which was the hardest shot i've ever seen, the other a corner we let go completely through our area, and a goal line clearance which would have made it 3-0.

Watford looked dangerous in attack but in truth created about as much as us. I don't understand the hate for Konchesky, he always gives his all, sometimes he is lacking in pace a little bit, and because he trys to start attacks he gets caught out of position too often. That said, next season i hope we have somebody who will provide good competition, i'd actually like to see Schluup in there permanently. Him and De Laet as full backs would be fantastic (they looked very dangerous earlier in the season).

It's not your team though. You're a tiny little league 1 sized club that has cheated it's way here with dodgy loan dealings. I used to have a massive soft spot for the horns, but not after this.

A tiny little league 1 size club who will (well, should be based on quality) be in the league above your mahooooooooosive, multi-million pound spending, debt ridden, and 'too good for the Championship but just can't get promoted' Leicester?

Oh those Nasty Tricksy Hornets, with their cheating scumbag loans. It's okay Ollie, maybe one day.

Eh? Cardiff City have cruised to the title all whilst possessing very little quality. So when I say worst, I mean simply on a quality level. The very real possibility of Hull City going up automatically proves this point exactly.

Quite right Hull are one of the few teams who havent beaten us and there isnt a decent team in the division last season nearly as weak see howReading and QPR fared on pomotion

A tiny little league 1 size club who will (well, should be based on quality) be in the league above your mahooooooooosive, multi-million pound spending, debt ridden, and 'too good for the Championship but just can't get promoted' Leicester?

Oh those Nasty Tricksy Hornets, with their cheating scumbag loans. It's okay Ollie, maybe one day.

Please-sir.jpg

Watford too good, looked dangerous most of the time they attacked and when we had the ball, didn't do much with it majority of the time.

Both goals could of been defended better, 1st one was just typical and we've been poor defending those.

2nd one, was a brilliant strike but didn't really close down.

Season over, Time to get rid of some players past it and simply not good enough, and build for next season.

Hopefully finish the season on a high with a win next saturday but, i'm not confident.

If Bolton win today, it's just false hope, wouldn't be bothered if they win, as I can't see them losing against Blackpool at home.

Oh and, James for me, man of the match

It says something when Hull fans and Lamby haven't been the most annoying and irritating visiting fans on this forum this season.

You played well, you have a good team, a likeable manager, if you lot as supporters were the same you might not get so much "bitterness".

Go and annoy Luton fans ffs.

Excellent report, Matt - and fair and accurate from my standpoint (LCFC Kop). Read the Grauniad match report this morning, but yours is much better. Shame Foxes Talk doesn't get visited by more Watford fans like you, and by fewer like this infant...

Thx Alf.

FWIW the criticisms of Watford's policy are a little misplaced (yes, I would say that). The approach seems to me vastly preferable to spending money we haven't got in pursuit of success, given that the EPPP changes have rendered building a promotion side based solely on youth development a non starter.

Plenty of clubs are taken over by rich investors who pump money in and fund signings without attracting this criticism. The difference here is that our owners, instead of pots of money, own three football clubs and a vast scouting network. Udinese have a huge squad, reportedly 100+ players, many out on loan. So, yes, technically loans... but they're our players.

"Arm of a multinational"? Yes, we were worried about that too.... but the community stuff has got better, not worse; three of our best kids have been given five year contracts and nobody's feeling as if we've lost our identity - not yet, anyway.

We've gotten lucky. None of this has much to do with any achievements prior to this summer - more to being low hanging fruit in a relatively attractive location relative to London. That doesn't mean we deserve this short sighted criticism.

Not that it actually matters...

best

M

I don't have a problem with the loans, there is no rule to stop it so why not make use of the opportunity? The main risk is what might happen when the loans expire, but I don't see it as cheating when you haven't broken a rule.

Watford look a good side, got themselves into great positions many times before they scored. They passed with accuracy, fluidity and always wanted the ball, a few tweaks and a quality striker and they will take a fair few points if they were to go up I reckon.

I don't have a problem with the loans, there is no rule to stop it so why not make use of the opportunity? The main risk is what might happen when the loans expire, but I don't see it as cheating when you haven't broken a rule.

The loans are largely from Udinese and Granada, their owners also own Watford. That's what I meant by "not really loans"... the players are registered with Udinese predominantly but are the Pozzos players. When loans expire some will be renewed, and if (as mooted) the FL change the rules they'll merely convert the loans to permanent transfers - Forestieri has already moved.

Thx Alf.

FWIW the criticisms of Watford's policy are a little misplaced (yes, I would say that). The approach seems to me vastly preferable to spending money we haven't got in pursuit of success, given that the EPPP changes have rendered building a promotion side based solely on youth development a non starter.

Plenty of clubs are taken over by rich investors who pump money in and fund signings without attracting this criticism. The difference here is that our owners, instead of pots of money, own three football clubs and a vast scouting network. Udinese have a huge squad, reportedly 100+ players, many out on loan. So, yes, technically loans... but they're our players.

"Arm of a multinational"? Yes, we were worried about that too.... but the community stuff has got better, not worse; three of our best kids have been given five year contracts and nobody's feeling as if we've lost our identity - not yet, anyway.

We've gotten lucky. None of this has much to do with any achievements prior to this summer - more to being low hanging fruit in a relatively attractive location relative to London. That doesn't mean we deserve this short sighted criticism.

Not that it actually matters...

best

M

It looks like your owners and top management presumably, have worked this out pretty well, the large squads that you mention have to be financed from somewhere but with different rules in force in different countries there are plenty of options to move players to where they can be the most effective and 'productive'.

If, as you suggest, you can use economy of scale to scout more effectively, to build better academies and produce better players then good luck to you, in my view a better business plan then spending huge amounts of money that can bankrupt a club the size of Leicester or Watford.

You need to be careful though, big squads cost big money and it has to come from somewhere, maybe not from Watford at the moment but what happens when things turn around and your better players, ones that you are paying for, are shipped off to Granada for example?

The Pozzos make money by using their massive scouting network. Recent finds have been Christian Zapata(sold to Villareal) Gokhan Inler (Napoli), and Alexis Sanchez (Barcelona). They turn a profit every year. Once Vydra gets his mojo back he'll fetch £15m. This is the downside - our best players will be moved on when they hit peak value.

Archived