Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The myth of 'stability' part two.

If Holloway does get Palace up through the play offs that will be twice he has triumphed there....

If Palace go up this season it will be down to one man - Dougie Freedman. When Holloway arrived they were looking almost nailed on for an automatic spot and since he's been there, he's done his level best to undo all the good work done by Freedman in his time there. They were on a run worse than ours at one point and very nearly missed out on the playoffs because Holloway couldn't get one of the most attacking sides in the league scoring. I think they went seven games without scoring a goal?!

I'll give him his due, he did well at Blackpool, but other than that he's been a crap manager.

Pearson may never get us promoted, and I personally don't get all this we must keep him business, the club is not in a financial position to be patient, and give him time to learn from his many mistakes.

So this time next year, if he fails again, do we say that season cost us 20 million in wages and fees, but we didn't get promoted but we are stable, so give him another season.

With a team with more weakness than strength, I think it's time for a change, and bring in somebody who can bring in consistency with the playing side.

A flash in the pan promotion would be ok, the amount of money gained from promotion would help the club pay the owners back, and the parachute payments would keep us in a stronger position for a couple of years after.

Leicester city will be in big financial trouble if promotion next season is not achieved as we are best part of 100 million in debt, and I am sure more will be added to that from this season.

Do you take a risk on a maybe manager, or bring in somebody that is successful, and when players have a "crisis in confidence", which all players do, they have the ability and know how to rectify it, so we don't only get a return of 3 wins out of 17.

The main thing wether a fan of Pearson or not is the security of the club, the club is more important than any manager or player.

I hope the owners make the right decision, and we get success no matter who is the manager.

If Palace go up this season it will be down to one man - Dougie Freedman. When Holloway arrived they were looking almost nailed on for an automatic spot and since he's been there, he's done his level best to undo all the good work done by Freedman in his time there. They were on a run worse than ours at one point and very nearly missed out on the playoffs because Holloway couldn't get one of the most attacking sides in the league scoring. I think they went seven games without scoring a goal?!

I'll give him his due, he did well at Blackpool, but other than that he's been a crap manager.

Did you not watch last nights game?

I'm afraid it was a bit of a master class in how to go away from home, in front of a huge crowd, and hit the opposition on the counter attack. The Palace players worked tirelessly. Throw in a couple of players of real quality and it was a very very good victory.

Brighton were the favourites last night (rightly so IMO) and they got well and truly turned over. And I'm sure Ollie was the manager last night, not Freedman?

We lost at Watford...

Did you not watch last nights game?

I'm afraid it was a bit of a master class in how to go away from home, in front of a huge crowd, and hit the opposition on the counter attack. The Palace players worked tirelessly. Throw in a couple of players of real quality and it was a very very good victory.

Brighton were the favourites last night (rightly so IMO) and they got well and truly turned over. And I'm sure Ollie was the manager last night, not Freedman?

We lost at Watford...

Col they had one win in 11 with him up until the Brighton game.

Had we turned Watford over by actually scoring that Penalty I can't imagine you would have been so glowing of Pearson considering his poor run of late, as you have been Holloway.

Stability and work ethic are the two most important ingredients behind success. If you doubt it, go and read all those recent articles about Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement. Then count the trophies. 

The next few weeks will tell us a lot about what kind of board we have. I suspect they have learned since the first time around and bringing in people like Sven and his expensive tribe of inconsistents.

Pearson may never get us promoted, and I personally don't get all this we must keep him business, the club is not in a financial position to be patient, and give him time to learn from his many mistakes.

So this time next year, if he fails again, do we say that season cost us 20 million in wages and fees, but we didn't get promoted but we are stable, so give him another season.

With a team with more weakness than strength, I think it's time for a change, and bring in somebody who can bring in consistency with the playing side.

A flash in the pan promotion would be ok, the amount of money gained from promotion would help the club pay the owners back, and the parachute payments would keep us in a stronger position for a couple of years after.

Leicester city will be in big financial trouble if promotion next season is not achieved as we are best part of 100 million in debt, and I am sure more will be added to that from this season.

Do you take a risk on a maybe manager, or bring in somebody that is successful, and when players have a "crisis in confidence", which all players do, they have the ability and know how to rectify it, so we don't only get a return of 3 wins out of 17.

The main thing wether a fan of Pearson or not is the security of the club, the club is more important than any manager or player.

I hope the owners make the right decision, and we get success no matter who is the manager.

That's the big question. Your statement 'do we bring in somebody.......' is the problem. None of us know who that somebody is, and nobody is guaranteed to be successful. Sticking with Pearson is a risk. So too is appointing someone else

Are fickle fans influential at board level? I really hope not, because we seem to have a lot!

At our fickle worst we can seem like lusty old pervs eyeing up any old bint who'll have us, forgetting to appreciate what we already have.... 

Many people on the forum are still crying out for 'stability'. 'Dont sack Pearson, they shout, because the club needs some 'stability''.

Well look at the two clubs who have gotten into the play-offs. Palace and Watford both have managers who have been in their respective positions for less time than Pearson.

Yet they are there and we aren't.

Palace effectively smashed Brighton last night due to Ollie getting his tactics spot on AND having quality when it mattered (Zaha and Bolasie). Ollie has been in his job for what? 8 months?

Personally, I think this whole 'stability' thing is nonsense. If you have the correct man in the correct position at the right time it works.. Whether this be over 6 mths or 6 years.

McCarthy is proving this to be the case at Ipswich also. He has turned them round, pretty quickly, from a team flirting with relegation, to a safe, mid-table side. Wolves fans are now crying to themselves that they ever let him go. Not because of 'stability' for the club (he'd been there 5/6 years when he got sacked) but because he's simply a good manager and better than any they have had since.

'Stability' in football is a myth. It's the proverbial sacred Cow that many believe must be nurtured before any real success can be achieved'

I say it isn't. A good manager is a good manager is a good manager... End of...

I'm not relating this thread to Nigel Pearson but to a wider concept which I believe is actually guff..

Discuss....

You're right without question. And a good manager could walk in at Leicester right now and get a lot more out of even the players we currently have by simply fine-tuning a whole host of little things and by not making ineffective or unnecessary changes. I don't need to detail these things cos they've been mentioned countless times but when you think of the narrow margins between success and failure the unnecessary errors have cost us dearly.

Some managers and coaches can just look at games and immediately know what needs to be corrected or improved. And, very quickly, players come to recognise that and trust/respond to the manager's instructions without doubts. it doesn't have to be about inspirational speeches or fearsome criticism. A good manager can quietly speak with a player without anyone else knowing and still make a massive impact.

He can win a match one week yet still make changes which give them the tactical edge the next week. Or he can select the same team for weeks and still earn the co-operation of sidelined players by the foerce of his own logic, personality and achievement.

You only need to be in the presence of a man for a short time to know if they're winners or not.

Quiet or aggressive they have complete belief in their ability to achieve their ends and the ruthlessness necessary to make sure they do.

We're not close to being ruthless at Leicester City.  No ruthless analyst would ever have allowed Knockaert to take our penalty. Nor any number of other things this season. Every mistake can make a difference and we've made far too many that didn't need to be made and there's the essence of management.

It's not about never making a mistake. It's about making fewer mistakes than others and being humble enough to put your own mistakes right quickly as well. It's not about playing the game for your team but about establishing a style of play that suits the team and effecting change  when things are going wrong or are threatening to go wrong. We haven't done that very well at all. And too often we haven't held onto results either.      

That's the big question. Your statement 'do we bring in somebody.......' is the problem. None of us know who that somebody is, and nobody is guaranteed to be successful. Sticking with Pearson is a risk. So too is appointing someone else

I don't hide from the fact that I do want a change in management, but it does concern me who is out there to manage us, more importantly who is better, who would realistically come to Leicester.

As much as I am for a change, I don't see the point in sacking him and replacing him with another average manager, I would rather accept another season of false hope and inconsistent results and performances.

The big question is how long can the club realistically stay outside the premier league with the mounting debt/ investment.

I don't envy the owners predicament, and what ever they do decide, I just hope it turns out right for the club.

If Pearson can get consistency he could be successful, but he has not found consistency since his return, and doesn't look like getting it anytime soon.

No Col you've got that wrong, he was agood manager when he first came to us but turned shit when we binned him off, as every manager and player who has ever left us has.

ho hum

Maybe if he showed that competence with us, by managing to be the 21st best team at least of this wretched division and not being so fvcking appalling at trying to get our team to score goals he might've had the chance to turn us around and get to a play-off final.

Watford are an exceptionally poor example to use in your argument.

They're up there because of their links to Udinese allowing them to acquire quality players, pure and simple.

I'd encourage everyone on this thread to reject them as an acceptable piece of evidence. Use Palace if you want but not Watford.

Lots of quality replies on this post; a pleasure.  I think stability is IN GENERAL the key because it allows you to focus on a plan for long-term continuous improvement which can be reviewed regularly.  With constant changes you are effectively hoping to get lucky because you cannot apply this long term plan, because you start from scratch with the person who has to lead it.  If you know where you are trying to go as a club (not just results, academy grooming, finances etc) then you look at all the staff.  If you can see them helping and leading in this plan then they stay.  If not then you identify other staff who WILL fit with this plan and try to bring them in.  But they need to be out there in the first place.

If Palace go up this season it will be down to one man - Dougie Freedman. When Holloway arrived they were looking almost nailed on for an automatic spot and since he's been there, he's done his level best to undo all the good work done by Freedman in his time there. They were on a run worse than ours at one point and very nearly missed out on the playoffs because Holloway couldn't get one of the most attacking sides in the league scoring. I think they went seven games without scoring a goal?!

Oh you mean the team that just put two away against Brighton away to get to Wembley ? as foot shooting incidents go yours is one of the best this season. :D  :D

Not really wolfy, the player that scored both goals has been sold already and given the form of Palace with Holloway at the helm they would never have made the play-offs if he'd have been there all season.

Lucky is the word that comes to mind...

Oh you mean the team that just put two away against Brighton away to get to Wembley ? as foot shooting incidents go yours is one of the best this season. :D  :D

Playoffs is a lottery, strange results can pop up in there all the time. I don't think anyone would argue that Brighton are a better side than Palace since Holloway joined them and they were most definitely the side going into the playoffs in top form.

Two moments of magic from a player who hadn't scored since January and hadn't scored an away goal since October. Nine games without a win and seven without scoring before the playoff matches. If you think Pearson is tactially inept then Ian Holloway can't be far off. You forget that we put two past Watford and were a spot kick away from Wembley. But because we missed a last minute penalty to go to Wembley, we're shit, Pearson's a crap manager and Palace are briliant and Holloway's a genius? Yeah, alright then.

I don't think people are claiming Pearson is a crap manager based on a penalty miss in the playoffs, in fact it may have changed the minds of 20% of those who voted on whether to keep him.

Holloway has got 2 teams to Wembley and one of those was promoted, the other may still be, Pearson has failed to get us to Wembley on 2 occassions, most people would only come to one conclusion from that.

I hasten to add that I don't want him back here.

Stability doesn't guarantee success, but neither does changing a manager.

Stability with a decent manager (Pearson is NOT a bad manager) is more likely to bring you success than changing all the time.

The one thing changing all the time guarantees is more spending.

I'd like to see us stick with Pearson for another year and see how it pans out. If it's like this year's ended up, then I agree he's got to go.

Archived