Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HCAFC Ryan

Kasper Schmeichel

I get the feeling Peter would want Kasper to move there, mentioning Bruce being a best friend and growing up with Alex.

In fairness I would be persuaded to go and play for my dad's best mate and they are a prem team none the less.

Hopefully we could get Kasper to sign a 1 year extension with some clauses if we don't make the prem in there. IMO he isn't ready for the prem yet, another year in the championship would do him good.

Not all flaws are coachable... like being a couple of inches too short to command the box.

I don't see this as a problem these days - keepers used to have to be big lads to be string enough to take the battering they got and to get above attackers challenging for the ball .... now the keeper just has to challenge for the ball and take the free kick .... the lightweight keeper is at no disadvantage and nor is the one a few inches shorter.

Kevin Poole would have been awesome in this era of football!

I don't see this as a problem these days - keepers used to have to be big lads to be string enough to take the battering they got and to get above attackers challenging for the ball .... now the keeper just has to challenge for the ball and take the free kick .... the lightweight keeper is at no disadvantage and nor is the one a few inches shorter.

Kevin Poole would have been awesome in this era of football!

And yet the majority of managers in the premier like big keepers still...

Peter Chech - 6 ft 5"

De Gea - 6 ft 3"

Joe Hart - 6 ft 5"

Asmir Begovic 6ft 6"

Pepe Reina 6ft 2"

Tim Howard 6ft 3"

The list goes on...

Kasper would be about the smallest in the Premier at 6ft.

It beats me what the f... Peter is doing being the "foghorn" of Kasper.... I recall an interview where Kasper very directly said that he was his own man, and not a copy of his father and he did not wish to be compared to him.

In his own heydays Peter would just have "no comments" to any transfer rumours and would probably have blown his top if someone had spoken on his behalf. Times are a changing...

The fact that Steve Bruce is a friend of Peter should actually deter Kaser from going there at all (there are other reasons as well...) - but maybe Peter is so keen on seeing Kasper in the Prem that he is pushing the case too far. Hopefully Kasper will can deal with the "old man" although a row between these two might be an interesting experience although bad for the hearing!

Peter Chech - 6 ft 5"

De Gea - 6 ft 3"

Joe Hart - 6 ft 5"

Asmir Begovic 6ft 6"

Pepe Reina 6ft 2"

Tim Howard 6ft 3"

The list goes on...

Cech is the only keeper that is truly commanding of his area, Begovic also maybe but it's not something goalkeepers are nowadays and I question whether their command of the are was really as good as people think in years gone by

Peter Chech - 6 ft 5"

De Gea - 6 ft 3"

Joe Hart - 6 ft 5"

Asmir Begovic 6ft 6"

Pepe Reina 6ft 2"

Tim Howard 6ft 3"

The list goes on...

Shay Given, just a couple of years back was in my opinion one of the best in the division and I think he is only 6ft... and of course lets not forget Zeljko Kalac was our worst ever ( I think!) and was a bit of a biggy... although he has done rather well for himself recently albeit as an understudy( before he retired)... although I reckon even I could of looked good with the kid of defences he had in front of him!

It's a travesty that a club like ours is at risk of losing our best player to a tin pot club like Hull. Sign of the times I guess. Disappointing

the real travesty would be if we do them a favour by letting him go in a cut price deal - if we get  £3.5- £4 mill I would feel less bothered

Hopefully, Hull will reap what they've sown. Ever since Pearson's come back here they have flat out refused to do business with us, on more than one occasion. If I were Top, I'd either completely refuse to do business with them either, or I'd place a massive premium on the asking price for any City players when Hull come calling. That'll teach the miserable, bitter bastards.

With regards to Kasper, I've made my thoughts clear on the subject many times before - I like him, I'd like him to stay with us, but he's not irreplaceable. If we get an offer higher than £3 million, I'd sell him. Use the money to get in a decent replacement - Steele from Barnsley would be my preference. I imagine this would be another big earner off the wage bill too, which can only be a good thing.

Hopefully, Hull will reap what they've sown. Ever since Pearson's come back here they have flat out refused to do business with us, on more than one occasion. If I were Top, I'd either completely refuse to do business with them either, or I'd place a massive premium on the asking price for any City players when Hull come calling. That'll teach the miserable, bitter bastards.

Good post Rich

This thread has made me think about big keepers and commanding areas - and whether that is a thing of the past....

For me, in the old days you'd have as big a keeper as you could get and he'd come steaming out of his goal and claim a 50/50 .... whilst scaring the living daylights out of anyone in his way!!

Nowadays keepers tend to not go for those 50/50s ... they either retreat and stay on their goal line and let the defender defend, or were in a better starting position in the first place and play more like a sweeper.

Kasper has a tendency to stay at home .... and this is a top flight trend IMHO .... I think we struggled with Ricardo because his style was to be so far away from his goal he played like a sweeper and this caused confusion to defenders who weren't used to it. 

Either way - the big keeper between those two extremes seems to be a dying discipline - a bit like the big centre half, big Wes / Sir Wes is an exception as he actually has a bit of skill.

Archived