Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

The city has never been a regular stop off for bands

It used to in the 60/70s but it's just been left behind I assume that's because of the size of venues and a lack of interest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

He finds the attention too much. Crackers with that brilliant accent he is an Everton fan.

Ha, yeah, I’ve known he’s an Everton (such a shame!). Was referring to the person who remembered that clip and posted it on Twitter. :P

On 18/12/2023 at 17:17, Paninistickers said:

Fenwick's still going strong in London's Mayfair, Brent Cross and Newcastle. We were amongst good company nestling amongst those cities..

But, alas, they couldn't crack it here. Even paying zero rent (as they owned the building) 

Tbf, by modern retail methods, the place was laughably - but loveably - out of date. Beds and chairs and settees somehow crammed onto the third floor. Must've been a nightmare getting them up there. Pots and pans and spoons hanging here there and everywhere as you walked in, no room to swing a cat. 

Men's clothes - good brands - all squashed into a corner. Always liked the two fellas who seemed to work there my entire life, Canadian dude and a longer haired local fella. Always told you what you were trying on looked great, even if it was three sizes too big. 

Loved the place. 

Fenwicks are closing in London next year

They’ve flogged the building to release cash

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, davieG said:

It used to in the 60/70s but it's just been left behind I assume that's because of the size of venues and a lack of interest.

I went see Wilko Johnson's band 10 or so years ago in Leicester. His tour had been very well attended until that night; there was only around 25 folk there.

They put on a great show still.

On 21/12/2023 at 23:57, Langston said:

Who started the Leicester's the place thing? I know it was from Booze Britain but how did it get going on Twitter?

MTWG clipped it up originally I think, UFS guys took to it and spread after that I think 

• Like 1

I apologise for any offence my post caused regarding Evington Rd.

I stand by it being a complete dump etc BUT it was probably OTT.

I'll take a self imposed ban.

Have a good xmas all, sorry again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Raj said:

I apologise for any offence my post caused regarding Evington Rd.

I stand by it being a complete dump etc BUT it was probably OTT.

I'll take a self imposed ban.

Have a good xmas all, sorry again.

I'm not even sure OTT is what it is. For me it's a bit of being either completely oblivious as to what is going on (with 1000s of lives being lost) at best and at worst just blatent racism (not giving a flying fuchs about those atrocities as they are a different race/religion), sorry to say this but that's what I interpreted it as. Anyways this isn't a political thread so let's not get too deep into it. I like to try and give the benefit of doubt first so perhaps maybe just have a look at what is happening over there and maybe you then wouldn't describe it as 'bollox' 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

I'm not even sure OTT is what it is. For me it's a bit of being either completely oblivious as to what is going on (with 1000s of lives being lost) at best and at worst just blatent racism (not giving a flying fuchs about those atrocities as they are a different race/religion), sorry to say this but that's what I interpreted it as. Anyways this isn't a political thread so let's not get too deep into it. I like to try and give the benefit of doubt first so perhaps maybe just have a look at what is happening over there and maybe you then wouldn't describe it as 'bollox' 

I dont need to hear "River to the sea" blasting out of a megaphone from a van with illuminated Free Palestine all over it on a Leicester street.

Lets not forget the atrocities are on both sides or are we not allowed to say anything bad has happened to the Jewish people?

Anyway, I'll log off for a while incase anyone else is upset about what I'm actually stating about Leicesters streets where I actually grew up on.

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Raj said:

I dont need to hear "River to the sea" blasting out of a megaphone from a van with illuminated Free Palestine all over it on a Leicester street.

Lets not forget the atrocities are on both sides or are we not allowed to say anything bad has happened to the Jewish people?

Anyway, I'll log off for a while incase anyone else is upset about what I'm actually stating about Leicesters streets where I actually grew up on.

Oh jeez. Yes did anyone say that it isn't civilian issues on both sides? Your statement screams of whataboutism. Just take a look at the numbers. I suppose my benefit of doubt backfired somewhat. 

Probably for the best to log off for a while, I agree with you there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Oh jeez. Yes did anyone say that it isn't civilian issues on both sides? Your statement screams of whataboutism. Just take a look at the numbers. I suppose my benefit of doubt backfired somewhat. 

Probably for the best to log off for a while, I agree with you there

Maybe you should too pal for your own sake👍🏾

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67914854

Rubbish left "festooned" across river banks and stuck in tree branches after flooding shows an "appalling legacy of litter" in Leicester, a professor says.

Prof Sarah Gabbott, of the University of Leicester, said there were countless numbers of aluminium cans and plastic bottles washed up by the River Soar.

She said: "The litter clogs up the river and causes even more flooding."

Prof Gabbott wants to educate people that litter is "killing wildlife" and "ruining our beautiful river".

The professor, who researches plastic pollution in the environment, also spotted kitchen lino, fire extinguishers, car bumpers, medium-density fibreboard (MDF), tricycles, footballs, barbecues, and part of a kitchen cupboard in the wake of Storm Henk.

image.png.7c585955ae7c073c8a0989c7137d3742.png

_132243963_riversoar3.jpg.webp

I watched this on last evening’s news. She also stated that after visiting some of the poorer regions of the world that the litter in Leicester was worse than those regions. To be honest this isn’t just a recent storm issue, as I’ve walked along the river banks over the last few years the situation has been bad, maybe not as bad but bad all the same. It’s a shame as it really does look horrific in places. Council is broke so I guess it will just go on….

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Some folks are thick as shit and unfortunately there are loads of them around. 

Embarrassing 

Agree with you. Obviously bad for Leicester but is a problem across the country. The lack of care, sense of pride or sensibility in too many people is a disgrace. You can't help but think paradise would soon turn into a craphole if left to these idiots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Agree with you. Obviously bad for Leicester but is a problem across the country. The lack of care, sense of pride or sensibility in too many people is a disgrace. You can't help but think paradise would soon turn into a craphole if left to these idiots.

It’s definitely not just Leicester. I live in North Wales in an area of outstanding beauty (AONB) and it’s generally very clean but as soon as tourist season begins you start to find rubbish, in lay-bys or side of roads, picnic areas, the riverside, the beaches, just everywhere.  I’ve seen people burying bin bags, disposable barbecues and even nappies on the beach. 
As @Free Falling Foxes said, when challenged they show no shame, even using threats. 
I've found McDonalds and Starbucks packaging dumped on the roadside - the nearest of those are around an hours drive away…

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 09:51, davieG said:

Well it's not that.

There's a few walks near me that I've been using regularly and there's plenty of waste bins and dog bins. I've seen stuff dropped with in a metre or two of those bins and they're certainly not full. Then there's all the tree trimmings with poo bags hanging from them. There's whole section of the population who are just too lazy or ignorant to care.

For example just yesterday there's a swing gated entrance to a walk a 100 metres from my house with a waste bin at the entrance just inside there's a little wooded copse and lying there was a large pizza carton and a couple of drinks cans, not 2 metres from the bin.

This really gets me :mad: Still see it regularly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I know where you're coming from but it's way off the mark. It really isn't the councils responsibility to clear up, its individuals responsibilty not to drop litter in the first place.

I have challenged those that drop litter many times but the respose is nearly always: "What's it got to do with you?"

'Fcuk off' or the classic, 'It gives someone a job' (to clear up)

With the latter in mind, err no. A vast majority of litter is collected by volunteers.

I've also had, 'All the bins are full' Well, take it home with you.

Its a part of our make-up I'm afraid.

I've noticed abroad that there is far less litter in places like Paris for example, yet there are far fewer litter bins.

I watched in amazement the other day when a guy pulled up outside a house and the kids in the car threw their MacDonalds containers, boxes and wrappers  on the floor, they all then went into the house. They lived there!

What chance is there for the environment generally, when folk do it on their own doorsteps?

I’m not in any way  saying it is the councils responsibility I could have worded that better, but ultimately it then becomes their responsibility by default. And I’m one of those who volunteers and litter picks in my own area. You’re absolutely right the issue is with those people who think it is wholly ok to litter. It’s disgusting but then, it now becomes the councils responsibility and they’re broke.

2 hours ago, jgtuk said:

It’s definitely not just Leicester. I live in North Wales in an area of outstanding beauty (AONB) and it’s generally very clean but as soon as tourist season begins you start to find rubbish, in lay-bys or side of roads, picnic areas, the riverside, the beaches, just everywhere.  I’ve seen people burying bin bags, disposable barbecues and even nappies on the beach. 
As @Free Falling Foxes said, when challenged they show no shame, even using threats. 
I've found McDonalds and Starbucks packaging dumped on the roadside - the nearest of those are around an hours drive away…

Apart from some incoherent and or abusive response I would guess these morons could not explain their behaviour if locked in a room for 24 hours. As you say they are without shame. Nuts that they are attracted to scenic places only to trash them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

kids in the car threw their MacDonalds containers, boxes and wrappers  on the floor,

I've been in McDonalds car park before now and watched a car full of teenage girls (all wearing Lipsy leisure wear and fake tan, driving a new 4x4) finish their meals and then chuck all the containers and wrappers out of the windows.

There's bins all around the car park.

And it's not just litter. I once attended a driver with chest pains on the A46 by-pass who had pulled into a lay-by. When I arrived Highways agency were already there. I got out and started to walk around to the passenger side of the car to see to the patient and the HA guy said "watch were you walk, there's likely to be sh1t  on the grass".

I said, naively, "people let their dogs sh1t by the roadside"? "No", he said. "It's truck driver sh1t".

Edited by Parafox

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

You missed out low intellect, ignorance, arrogance and laziness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've been in McDonalds car park before now and watched a car full of teenage girls (all wearing Lipsy leisure wear and fake tan, driving a new 4x4) finish their meals and then chuck all the containers and wrappers out of the windows.

There's bins all around the car park.

Times like that I wish the mounted branch of the police could dump manure over and into said motor.