Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Well according to our wonderful home secretary, our city is proof that multi-culturalism is a failure. I know there were issues last year but I really disagree with her analysis.

Home Secretary accused of 'ignorance or malice' over citing Leicester as an example of 'failed' multiculturalism - Leicestershire Live (leicestermercury.co.uk)

Also the cause of trouble which occurred last year was an imported social issue from India, not an example of discord in Leicester.

Stupid bitch doesn't know her arse hole from her mouth. 

She speaks out of the wrong one most of the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, westernpark said:

Narborough road is somewhere I’d disagree with the mayor, there are issues down there that are caused by a transient population(cannabis grows on every road and anecdotal evidence from myself that would suggest it isn’t very safe).However, that is also a result of studentification within the area. Nonetheless, the issues last year are lazy evidence, if cited by the current Home Secretary, it is a very nuanced issue that doesn’t have a basic explanation. This city is great for its diversity and multiculturalism but less of a black and white opinion on it is needed, people can disagree with various points and not be categorised as being polar opposites of each other. Unlike what Braverman is attempting to do!

I woke up this morning, turned on Radio Leicester news & thought of this post.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boots60 said:

I woke up this morning, turned on Radio Leicester news & thought of this post.

So did I when I flipped the Leicester Mercury site open. It’s a dangerous area, in my lifetime is has always been very diverse and for most of it as equally safe as other parts of the city, however I believe that has changed within the last 7-8 years. I worked in a business during my teens and early twenties, genuinely fearing for my safety round there. I am very surprised that the demagogues within certain parts of the media have not cottoned to this change in the area.

Nice to see we're not dressing this dump of an area up.  Been randomly attacked in the street twice there in my life and when I last visited a few months ago, for a late night pharmacy visit, someone attempted to mug me whilst I paid.  Relating to the original point, it's not a consquenece of multi-culturalism, as our lovely Home Scretary claimed, it's just a neglected s**thole of which there are many in the city and the country.

• Like 1

Why's Narborough Road shut then? They're keeping very tight about it at the minute but forensics have been seen down there, so it's crime rather than an RTC.

If were to play crime bingo I'd assume it's either a) controlling bloke murders his partner or b) bloke living in multiple occupancy household beats housemate/friend to death after all day drinking session, both of which we've had at this end of town on a few occasions over the last few years.

I lived very close to Narborough Road from 2000 to 2011 and to be honest it was pretty crap at the start of that period, then enjoyed a bit of a boom for a few years and was starting to go down hill again when we left.

It was a victim of its own success in a way, the rapid rise in house prices in the early 2000s saw loads of property snapped up as investments rather than to live in, and there were fewer and fewer people living there on a long term basis. The tightening of parking restrictions in the city centre turned it into the city's free car park, which just sped up the exodus of people that were actually bothered about the area, and by the time they brought in residents' only parking there to sort out of it out it was too late

It is a shame as there are some nice parts of Narborough Road, enjoy a pint in Nine Bar whenever I can for example, however it is not a place I feel safe and I'm quite a big lad.

I drive down there at least 2 or 3 times a week and there's regularly 1 or 2 big groups of Eastern Europeans hanging outside of the Romanian shop next to the pharmacy or the international supermarket a bit further down. They're always openly boozing in the streets. It's clear the police don't bother going down there.

I lived on the Narb for years. One of my best mates still lives up towards Braunstone Town. Never once did I have any issues with anyone in that area, even during my more hedonistic days. Maybe I just got lucky. 

There's plenty of dodgy people around, but there is in every town and city. The country is fvcked. It's no surprise. 

Closest I ever got to getting in trouble was when some shirtless junkie (who was very much a Leicester local, by the way) chased me around Castle Park Benny Hill-style because I refused to give him a quid. 

Brauny Gate and the area towards the university is so much better than it used to be. 

Edited by RoboFox

12 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I lived on the Narb for years. One of my best mates still lives up towards Braunstone Town. Never once did I have any issues with anyone in that area, even during my more hedonistic days. Maybe I just got lucky. 

There's plenty of dodgy people around, but there is in every town and city. The country is fvcked. It's no surprise. 

Closest I ever got to getting in trouble was when some shirtless junkie (who was very much a Leicester local, by the way) chased me around Castle Park Benny Hill-style because I refused to give him a quid. 

Brauny Gate and the area towards the university is so much better than it used to be. 

It's totally nosedived in recent years

On 10/04/2023 at 20:04, Tommy G said:

I live in Burbage and think Hinckley has improved (a bit) useful for supermarkets and the crescent is “OK” and stockwells does good coffee. It’s nowhere near as bad as central Leicester IMO

The old part of Burbage is lovely... but when we moved 3 years ago, we considered Hinckley as our alternative and the town centre has gone down hill so much.  I used to own a bar in Hinckley at the bottom of castle street and the high street was still ok back then... I walked down there in the summer, from B&Q to the bottom of castle street and it was utterly dreadful. 

glad we made the choice that we did with where we live now, and it's not taking anything away from Hinckley per se... it's personal preference at the end of the day.... 

but to your point... I'd possibly pick Hinckley over central leicester.... but i'd rather live in the queens road area. 

• Like 1

When I was at uni brainy gate and narb road were the go to place for us. 

I still drink around there on a match day and have had zero trouble, not even a sniff. 

It's a shit hole these days though and the whole of narb road / brauny gate is a massive missed opportunity. 

Some beautiful buildings left to rot, the story of Leicester. 

It's such a shame to hear about the decay of Narborough Road. When I was a student at the beginning of the 90s I lived Narborough Rd / Fosse Road South and it was great. Proper vibrant etc. 

Also the last time I went out in Leicester, admittedly probably well over a decade ago, Brauny Gate was such a good area to go out in. 

A myriad of complex reasons I assume for its decay. 

6 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Seem to remember Brauny hate having a good few years until the kebab / ex public toilet blew up. That seemed a turning point.

I seem to remember someone being punched and killed outside Natterjack’s at some point, but could be wrong.

There was a serious assault outside Mobius which did seem to knock the area back a bit.

Had a house off Narborough Rd, Nearer to the Tesco garage part, Dumbleton Avenue  about 25 years ago and would frequently  venture to the main drag of Narborough  Rd to get snacks, amenities  etc and feel fine.

I would NEVER venture alone there now.

It's like a 3rd World Eastern European country.

Evington Rd is also the pits and was lovely 25-30 years .

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Mobius and sumo were both good

I never tried Mobius and thought Sumo was what it was but I always loved Braunstone Gate. It was still great for a period after the bridge demolition but then felt like a gradual decline from about 2012 onwards. So many brilliant little places lost, amount of afternoons I spent in Loaf is beyond the pale!