Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Pump & Tap

Kingy Road club

Left bank

Black Horse

Mobius 

Sumo

O Bar

Loaf

Braunie Gate Inn/Bar 66

Looking glass

That was some crawl.

They were the days. Never been in the first 3 but spent years down the Brauney gate in Mobius Sumo Loaf Looking Glass etc. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66955757.amp

The inevitable end of the Black Boy.  In its hay day an absolute character den.  We were drawn to it like moths to a flame.  

Always remember one busy Saturday night after the footy 'performing' another one bites the dust on the Karaoke absolutely hammered. 

One of the regulars joins the dancefloor with his trousers around his ankles before the landlord hurled the penis pump at him (the penis pump was a wooden attachment to one of the hand pulls carved into the shape, unsurprisingly, of a phallus).

They don't make make 'em like that anymore.  And that's probably a very good thing.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 22:22, Wymsey said:

The 'Golden Mile' (Melton Road) is only really good when the street light decorations are on, isn't it?..

Also it's a shitehole of illegal parking. And nothing gets done about it.

I once counted, as I drove along, 67 illegally parked vehicles between Melton Turn and Marfitt Street. At £60 per fine that works out to £4,020 in revenue for the council. That was one 10 minute drive down the road. And no parking enforcement officers to be seen. I have travelled the same road on many other occasions and seen much the same. It was not a one off.

Anyone who travels Melton Road or Narborough Road or Evington Road will have witnessed similar.

Why is it allowed to continue? It's a potential goldmine for the city council.

What are they scared of?

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Me too. He was bang on. 

Exposed Braverman for her shallowness.

I depise the Tories and that includes Braverman.

However, Ashworths passionate repost on QT last evening could, actually, reinforce those who would argue multi-culturalism is failing.

Every one of those festivals he mentioned are very partisan. Participation of colours, creeds and religions of folk other than those whose primary celebration it is, are exceptionally rare at these events.

I spent 20 odd years working for the local authority and that included working with all communities in our city to be inclusive in most/all aspects of city life, resources and facilities. There are some great example of it happening but, equally, many where it is not.

I believe Braverman said multiculturalism has failed. I wouldn't go that far but would suggest it could be failing.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

You can argue it either way. 

I can genuinely say at school we were taught about all those different events. My class mates had all sorts of heritage. So it exists at that level. At happens at workplaces too where people share customs and discussions are has. 

Communities tend to live where they stay comfortable but as particularly the younger Asian generation here has become woven in society, particularly those who’ve done well for themselves (and thinking to my old school mates) they live in different areas from the traditional Asian communities are based. It just takes time to change attitudes but the city functions far more with multicultural everyday living than some. 

• Like 2

On 06/10/2023 at 14:22, Lako42 said:

The entrance into Leicester down past the Sir Charles Napier onwards is a ****ing disgrace. 

Some beautiful houses just left to rot and seemingly filled with the countries weirdest mouth breathing dullards. 

All landlord owned most probably,  who don't give two shits about the upkeep of their properties, taking on council housing tenants who equally aren't going to pay to keep up appearances either. 

The city is a dump. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

New Walk is a lovely route to stroll down/up through on a pleasant day.

It's a shame that there are quite a few drug dealers that operate around there.

If you can walk the length of New Walk without getting clipped by an uber delivery bike then you've done well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dump - Subjective

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/worsening-picture-leicester-city-councils-8819320

Broke - well on it's way.

‘Worsening picture’ of Leicester City Council’s ‘bleak’ finances revealed
An overspend of £12.7 million is expected this year

ByHannah RichardsonLocal Democracy Reporter
06:04, 11 OCT 2023

Leicester City Council is facing “significant financial pressures” and the situation is only expected to get worse in future years, a report has revealed. Based on spending in the first part of the current financial year, the local authority is now predicting it will spend £12.7 million more in 2023/24 than budgeted.

Overspend across all council departments totals around £17 million. However, this is offset by around £4.3 million of underspending in some areas, including £3 million savings due to energy costs being lower than anticipated.

The position “provides early indications of the significant financial pressures the council is facing this year, and the worsening picture for future years’ budgets”, council finance officers have said. The additional costs are not expected to be confined to the one year, but will carry into future budgets.

READ MORE: Defiant leader says 'hell will freeze over' before struggling county council declares bankruptcy

While the £12.7 million can be offset this financial year by departmental reserves – which are separate to the council’s central reserves – those pots of money are one-off resources, officers warned, adding that the funding outlook for “next year and beyond” was “bleak”. It is “imperative that significant savings are identified as soon as possible to safeguard the council’s longer-term financial position”, they said.

Almost £10 million of the expected overspend is rooted in education and children’s services, the report stated. Some £9.2 million of that is anticipated to be spent on looked after children, because placement costs “have increased faster than budgeted”. Strain on that service presents a “significant issue” for the next financial year and would "need to be addressed” through the next budget, officers said.

A further overspend of £4.9 million is predicted in the city development and neighbourhoods budget. Homelessness “is the main reason" for the overspend and "is a significant national issue”, the report stated. Around £3 million of additional costs in the city development and neighbourhoods budget are caused by spending on temporary accommodation in the city. This pressure is “likely to be ongoing”, it added.

A likely higher-than-predicted pay award for council staff is expected to add a further £2.2 million to this year’s spending.

This year’s budget, approved in February, saw maximum council tax increases for Leicester residents and heavy reliance on central reserves to balance the books. The use of the reserves meant the council could avoid what city mayor Sir Peter Soulsby branded “crisis cuts” to services.

However, the use of around £34 million of the then around £55 million of reserves came with a warning from the council that this pot of money was expected to run dry part way through the 2024/25 financial year. Some savings have been identified which will reduce the strain on the reserves this year by around £2.8 million.

Poll: Do you feel safe in Leicester city centre?

These include additional “efficiency savings” which have been approved by Sir Peter. Among these are savings in parks and grounds maintenance and in building management. Finances bosses at the council are continuing to “identify and make savings” throughout the year to “help reduce the scale of expected future deficits”.

On 07/10/2023 at 07:29, CosbehFox said:

You can argue it either way. 

I can genuinely say at school we were taught about all those different events. My class mates had all sorts of heritage. So it exists at that level. At happens at workplaces too where people share customs and discussions are has. 

Communities tend to live where they stay comfortable but as particularly the younger Asian generation here has become woven in society, particularly those who’ve done well for themselves (and thinking to my old school mates) they live in different areas from the traditional Asian communities are based. It just takes time to change attitudes but the city functions far more with multicultural everyday living than some. 

Things have definitely changed for the better.

When I was at school Asian refugees were just starting to arrive in Leicester. I remember the first one in my class - Mumtaz? who originally arrived in Leeds and then came to Leicester. The whole family had one suitcase of clothes between them and no warm winter clothing. 

The thickest boy in the class said he was going to join the National Front and go Paki-bashing. I don't think that lasted very long as Asian families are very much all for one and one for all. Attack one and the whole family will sort you out.

Ever since then I have hated fascists and the hard-right racists in the Tory Party, who are much the same thing. And I am glad to see Braverman get taken down for her remarks about Leicester. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Highcross really struggling, int it?  Shops closing left right and centre. 

Not surprised. 90% of my clothes shopping is done online now. Nip into town once in a blue moon. 

Shopping has to be an experience now. Stratford has it and bull ring has it but chucking a turtle bay and waganamas ain't enough to proved an 'experience'

• 4 weeks later...

Went into town for a quick Xmas shop today. I have to admit I'm starting to worry for the place. It's in a real mess..

Firstly there about 1/5 of the people I'd expect to see..the type of crowd you might expect on a random Sunday in March. The busiest shopping Sunday if the year? Goodness me..

Second, whether people want to hear this or not, the amount of people who come from a culture that clearly don't celebrate Christmas is startling. 

The City desperately needs to think of a way to reinvent itself and quickly. No offices. No industry. No unified public transport. The DMHall, Curve, Vicky Park, Abbey Park, Phoenix, Little Theatre, Museums and main university are all separated from city centre restaurants and shops. 

The place needs a total and complete rethink of how best to unify itself, both with the extraordinary amount of low income immigration and its disjointed highlights. I'm totally proud of Leicester but it desperately needs help. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Went into town for a quick Xmas shop today. I have to admit I'm starting to worry for the place. It's in a real mess..

Firstly there about 1/5 of the people I'd expect to see..the type of crowd you might expect on a random Sunday in March. The busiest shopping Sunday if the year? Goodness me..

Second, whether people want to hear this or not, the amount of people who come from a culture that clearly don't celebrate Christmas is startling. 

The City desperately needs to think of a way to reinvent itself and quickly. No offices. No industry. No unified public transport. The DMHall, Curve, Vicky Park, Abbey Park, Phoenix, Little Theatre, Museums and main university are all separated from city centre restaurants and shops. 

The place needs a total and complete rethink of how best to unify itself, both with the extraordinary amount of low income immigration and its disjointed highlights. I'm totally proud of Leicester but it desperately needs help. 

The City centre does need help but what can be done? The downward spiral has set in & will continue as long as it cannot attract people, possibly down to the fact that the majority of new business's are either pop up shops, nail bars or bad chain food outlets. The days of efficiently run family based shops & cafes have long gone. Add to that, Leicester City Council (working for you) haven't got two pennies to rub together & the future looks grim.

At least the future looks bright at the football.