Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Would you keep the squad exactly as it is?

Now this seems a daft question as we appeared short on numbers last season and with the loss of Keane. 

However, I personally think If I was given the power to stick or twist I would stick. It seems to me like we have a lot more to loose then gain this summer, the job of potentially replacing King, Morgan, Knocky and Kasper is impossible IMO.   Now obviously this is all speculation and potentially none of them could leave and we could boost the squad further.  But Im just interested to see what people would do if they did have the stick or twist power? 

The squad wasn't good enough at the start of last season.

Ill say it again:

1. We need more STEEL... The team is too 'nice' for want of a better word. The midfield needs a tough tackling, tall, defensive minded midfielder.

2. We need another strong centre-back. To form a long-term partnership with Wes.

3. We need another left back.

4. We need a pacy right winger.

Finally, to fund said players we need to offload Beckford, Danns, Gally, Wellens and Konchesky.

If I were the manager that's what I'd be looking to do. The current squad isn't far off. But it needs shedding and then improving.

IMO.

No. Why would we stick with the exact squad that had relegation form for 3 months and wasn't good enough to get promoted?

We're in desperate need of a left back and centre back. We need a striker as well, even assuming Wood turns back into the player he was when we signed him (no guarantee) our secondary options are poor.

I'd also argue we need a right back (Moore and De Laet not good enough) and experienced centre mid and a winger.

Nope, we need signings.

regardless of kasper staying or going, we need a good young keeper that is happy to sit on the bench for 12 months if kasper stays and potentially step in if he goes.

We need cover at RB RDL played a stupid number of games/minutes last season.

We need to shift SSL and Whitbread to fund a CB and take another loan in this position as well.

We need a LB unless we are going to play schlupp there.

We also need a tough midfielder and to fund that I would be tempted to sell DD and keep king and james.

And depending on what strikers leave we may need one more on top of wood and nugent with schlupp able to fill in.

Assuming we shift the 7 being banded around it leaves you with

Kasper

Conrad

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Whitbread

Konch

King

James

Dyer

Knocky

Marshall

Vardy

Schlupp

Futacs

Nugent

Wood

For those of you that cant count that's 17 so IF those cretins get moved on then there are gonna be at least 5 or 6 coming in...

Centre Half

Left Back

2 Centre Midfield

Winger

For me the squad should be

Goalkeepers

Kasper

Logan

Defence

De Laet

Moore

Morgan

Whitbread

St Ledger

NEW LB

Midfield

James

King

Danns

Marshall (play him in the centre next season)

NEW MF

Wingers

Knockaert

Dyer

Schlupp

NEW Winger

Strikers

Wood

Nugent

Beckford

Futacs

Hopper

Off Loads: Wellens, Gallagher, Konchesky, Drinkwater, Vardy, Waghorn.

The squad wasn't good enough at the start of last season.

Ill say it again:

1. We need more STEEL... The team is too 'nice' for want of a better word. The midfield needs a tough tackling, tall, defensive minded midfielder.

2. We need another strong centre-back. To form a long-term partnership with Wes.

3. We need another left back.

4. We need a pacy right winger.

Finally, to fund said players we need to offload Beckford, Danns, Gally, Wellens and Konchesky.

If I were the manager that's what I'd be looking to do. The current squad isn't far off. But it needs shedding and then improving.

IMO.

This is a realisitic outlay that I might about Schmeichel to (ducks behind cover) simply because of (what I imagine) his wages. Possibly the best keeper at this level, but if we can get 3-4 million for him we will be in a position to buy a keeper of 1 million worth that is surely more than enough for a Championship keeper. The drop in value won't equal the drop in ability - we'll be able to get a slightly less compotent keeper, but enough money to get another good centre-back which will more than compensate. This is what is meant when people say, "no player is bigger than the team." 'm not saying that Kasper thinks he is, but some fans seem to be giving that impression (that they think he is.)

The whole of the left side needs improving... We need a new, younger left back and a left winger (who can chip in with a few goals as well).

A new centre half.

I agree with Col about steel in midfield, although towards the end of the season I was impressed with King/James.

The whole of the left side needs improving... We need a new, younger left back and a left winger (who can chip in with a few goals as well).

A new centre half.

I agree with Col about steel in midfield, although towards the end of the season I was impressed with King/James.

Yeh throughout most of the season I was thinking we needed a bit of experience in the middle, someone who will win the ball etc, but at the moment I wouldn't want to break up the King/James partnership. I think what we need is the option in the squad.

The starting 11 needs improving but so many times I looked a bench this season and thought we've got bugger all.

Yeah, that playoff finish made me physically sick. Bring back the good old days of Sven.

Remind me what division were we in when Sven got sacked and Pearson was brought in to deliver promotion?

What division are we in next season?

Centre back is crucial for me.

Keane has gone back, SSL looks like he's off leaving us with Whitbread and Morgan and potentially Moore.

Even with Whitbread fully fit, we need another CB, someone experienced for me that knows this division well. I think Christophe Berra would be a good buy and he's available for free or someone like Danny Shittu from Millwall

It seems like none of you are really seeing the reasoning behind this post, surely im not the only person worried about loosing key players? If we start next season without Kasper, Morgan and King we will finish mid table. With the current squad we easily have potential for top 2-6th

It seems like none of you are really seeing the reasoning behind this post, surely im not the only person worried about loosing key players? If we start next season without Kasper, Morgan and King we will finish mid table. With the current squad we easily have potential for top 2-6th

With the current squad we'll do well to finish in the play-offs, it's not top 2 standard.

Hopefully a lot of the younger players like James, RDL, Knocky will have will have developed over the last 12 months and can improve us without needing to sign players.

I think we especially need an experienced head in the middle of the pitch. King and James look like they could form a good pairing but maybe an old head who can close out tight games (we conceded a lot of late goals) or give us an extra man in big games away from home.

Also, with us needing to shed a few and lower the wage bill, I feel the 'squad players' might have to be younger guys from our academy like Taft or Cain because woud we able to afford signing those 2 or 3 extra quality players we need PLUS those squad players to replace the likes of Wellens, Gally and SSL if they do go due to their wages.

Archived