Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

If our squad stayed the same...

If our squad stayed the same...  

188 members have voted

1. 1. If the squad stayed the same, where would we finish?

• Automatic promotion
    • Play-offs
    • Just outside the play-offs
    • Mid-table
    • Relegation battle
    • Dead, buried and back in League One

If our squad stayed exactly as it is now, where do you think we would finish? Simple enough question really! I suppose the typical line up would be:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

St Ledger/Whitbread

Konchesky

Knockaert

King

James

Dyer

Wood

Nugent

Subs:

Logan

Schlupp

St Ledger/Whitbread

Drinkwater

Waghorn

Moore

Marshall

Now to me, that side should be achieving a playoff place. I don't think it's quite good enough to contend for top two, but it's a lot better than a mid table or relegation side. The only position which would concern me would be centre back as I don't feel St Ledger or Whitbread are good enough or fit enough for a promotion chasing side. Liam Moore could be an option, but he's very young and inexperienced still.

There's no real point to this thread, as obviously we'll end up with two or three new signings, but I thought it'd be good to see what people actually think to our current squad and we need something to relieve the boredom round here...

Just hope we get some new players in. Don't rate Whitbread, Konchesky needs replacing and Dyer isn't good enough. 

I'd rather give Moore a starting position alongside Morgan if we don't get a new CB in.

Just hope we get some new players in. Don't rate Whitbread, Konchesky needs replacing and Dyer isn't good enough.

I'd rather give Moore a starting position alongside Morgan if we don't get a new CB in.

Still don't think Moore is up to it yet. Similar age to Keane and he's nowhere near his level for me.

Keep the same team and there's no reason why we can't finish top 6.

Moore will never ever be good enough at centre half. Got shown up against Woves. He's not quite strong enough to play there. Think he's done well at right back when he's played though.

I'd like to see a left back, a top centre half who isn't injury prone like SSL and Whitbread, and a centre mid who has experience. Rest of the team picks itself for me

I honestly have no idea, it was a season of two halves and i've no idea which was the 'real' Leicester City. I think it's fair to assume that if other teams strengthen this summer and the teams coming down are better than the teams gone up, and the teams coming up are better than the ones gone down then we could have a job on our hands to get top 6 again. I still think there's a cloud over Pearson, not just from the fans and media but maybe from the players as well.

We have a nucleus of a good team but if we are to be better than everyone else we need an unfaltering team spirit, work ethic and a huge amount of confidence. We also need a manager who can maintain this in the players throughout the season and not just in patches. We also need a manager who is tactically astute. If we improve on that then we can achieve a top 6 place again, maybe higher.

I'm intrigued to see whether key players can improve as well. There was a real drop in performances from Ben Marshall for most of the season, Drinkwater towards the end and a few others. Knockaert needs to be careful of suffering from 2nd season syndrome and he's a player who also was erratic at times but I suspect he'll always be like that because if his performances are consistently as good as what he's capable of then he'll be a world beater and won't be with us for very long. I hope Nigel looks to introduce Michael Cain and Harry Panayiotou, these two are the best at the minute in our academy and I think we need to blood them for two reasons. Firstly, we'll need the extra competition for places and their fearlessness will be a good boost to a settled squad and secondly, it's the future for clubs like us in how to oeprate and survive. The earlier we start developing academy players the stronger position we'll be in to progress as a club. We've not got much to show from our supposed quality youth academy in the last 5-10 years and now more than ever this needs to change.

So all in all, I think a realistic finishing position is just outside the play-offs if we cannot strengthen our squad and/or our management staff.

Nothing wrong with that team, its better than 90% of the Championship. Its a case of tweaking the tactics and learning from mistakes. We need a CB, but apart from that if the season started now I would not be overly happy, but at the same time we would still be in a fairly decent state.

Depends how much an effect of already having a full season together as a team and with Nige at the helm will help them. Judging by the second half of last season, it may have had a negative effect but having said that I was very impressed at the way we fought our way back into contention by nicking the play off place etc. 

It's a young team so hopefully that will stand us in good stead. I honestly reckon this will be the squad we start with as well. I'll go for Playoffs.

Agree with Whitbread - I think he's probably a bit too injury prone now - but with regards to Konchesky and Dyer, I think both are solid players, not outstanding, but both good enough to play a role in this side. Dyer especially - he tends to blow hot and cold, but I thought he had a very good season last year.

Playoffs if our squad stayed the same having said that the experience of last season and that cruel defeat to Watford should provide the impetus for the players to really push on and get automatic promotion we have seen it before with other teams in this league who have lost in the playoffs to really kick on and use that disappointment and hurt to then go and achieve automatic promotion, but we need that extra bit of quality if we are to achieve that.

Why have players in the squad that blow cold more than hot. we need to try and replace these players who are the opposite.

I would say Dyer blows more hot than cold - if he was our first choice left winger for the season, I wouldn't be too worried, plus there's always Schlupp who can fill in there as well, where I think he could be very effective.

Besides, this thread isn't about who we should replace, it's about how our current squad would fare if no signings were made between now and the start of the season.

More than happy to see Moore given a chance but preferably at right back.

De Laet's a better option IMO though. It's tough, you want to give the lad some game time, but he's probably not good enough to hold down a CB spot and there is a better option than him at RB. Moore must be hoping De Laet breaks a leg or something!

I reckon well finish 8th. We lack depth and aren't strong enough to compete with the strong two teams to come up automatically from League 1 and the three from the Prem. at the same time, this side doesn't concede goals for fun, which I'd hope continues next season.

De Laet's a better option IMO though. It's tough, you want to give the lad some game time, but he's probably not good enough to hold down a CB spot and there is a better option than him at RB. Moore must be hoping De Laet breaks a leg or something!

Yup, wasn't mugging RDL off just that i'd rather see Moore there than centre back.

But he won't get one unless De Laet gets injured surely

Agree, De Laet had a slow start but in the end, a very good season.

This one's simple for me.

If the squad stays the same and we don't add midfield bite and creativity, together with a good partner for Morgan, we'll end up disappointed again.

I'd agree with that.

Agree with you there. We also need some competition up front.

I put just outside the play-offs.

This one's simple for me.

If the squad stays the same and we don't add midfield bite and creativity, together with a good partner for Morgan, we'll end up disappointed again.

So you think we're capable of making the playoffs?

On the plus side, the squad clearly only needs a couple of additions to be challenging.

Archived