Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bevan

Michael Cain

Taft has some way to go if he's going to play regularly at Championship level. I watched him a lot when he was loaned to Kettering season before last and though he was better than most he wasn't outstanding. Needs a season playing in League 1 before he's a realistic option IMHO.

we only have 2 CB's 3 iff you count Moore but I'm sure bert or someone else said he saw himself/the club saw him as a right back so Taft has a big chance this season with FFP coming in given Whitbread's injury record

St Ledger as well or the replacement we'll get when we get rid of him. I was also gonna say that Taft's played for England youths at LB as well but these days that's nothing to brag about

St Ledger as well or the replacement we'll get when we get rid of him. I was also gonna say that Taft's played for England youths as well but these days that's nothing to brag about

I don't think SSL will be here and unless we shift that list of 7 I'm not sure how many new faces we will see, still I'd like 4 cb's at the club if we're playing 4-4-2

I don't think SSL will be here and unless we shift that list of 7 I'm not sure how many new faces we will see, still I'd like 4 cb's at the club if we're playing 4-4-2

If Toffee Fox was right and we are currently just within the FFP guidelines, then I'd assume that we're going to add players based on the ones that leave i.e. if SSL leaves we replace him with a CB, Danns with a CM etc. The wages we'd shed from SSL would pay for a decent replacement plus cash to spare.

Having said that I have a feeling that this squad will be the one we go into the Middlesbrough game with.

caine is a very good player seen him in the academy many times was n amazing last season did very well , great composure and good eye for goal and his vision is outstanding , wanted him and blyth to be in the squad last season but hopefully tey'll break through this season

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently he's done his ACL vs Corby? Bad news if so although Nige hasn't shown any signs he thinks he's ready.

They know he is. The stakes were too high last season at the time he would've been involved.

Devastating blow for him

he may still have a chance at this season but definitely for next pre season, the speed at which people are coming back from these injuries is decreasing rapidly just look at Robert Griffin III and Adrian Peterson in the NFL.

Terrible blow for him and maybe for us too given the FFP situation

Personally I've not been that impressed, he does the simple stuff well but he certainly hasn't got enough in his locker to give us that special something we so desperately crave, I've left every youth game I've seen scratching my head wondering what all the fuss was about.....

I have only seen him once anyway.

he may still have a chance at this season but definitely for next pre season, the speed at which people are coming back from these injuries is decreasing rapidly just look at Robert Griffin III and Adrian Peterson in the NFL.

Terrible blow for him and maybe for us too given the FFP situation

RG3 could run now but they're saving him. Cain can be back for Jan.

I've left every youth game I've seen scratching my head wondering what all the fuss was about.....

I have only seen him once anyway.

Perhaps he just had a bad game :rolleyes:

Either way, hope the lad recovers quickly, I'm certain that had Danns or Drinkwater been offloaded then Cain would have been more involved with the first team this pre season.

what was his injury??

ACL stands for anterior cruciate ligament and MCL is medial collateral ligament. It's one of the worst sports injuries, as it takes months to heal.

It's a shame. I've heard a lot of good things about him, and he must be one of the youngsters closest to getting in the first team. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

I'm sorry but how can we expect a manager to throw a young player in when we as fans are so unforgiving.

Remember when max gradel got the go ahead the amount of fans on here who were oh he can't cross a ball. He was a kid under 20 with bags of potential.

Young players are not the finished article and need time to improve on the skills they have and work on the skills they lack. This can only be achieved by game time and exposure to first team football and patience. They can't be greeted by oohs and ahhs by unforgiving fans every time they misplace a pass or choose a wrong option.

I truly believe less young players will be given a chance at this level due to the pressure environment created around stadiums in this league.

Remember the fledglings at united were not all superstars when they broke through and needed time to adapt.

Is Cain/Taft/hopper etc good enough? Ofcourse not. Can they be? Maybe if given time, guidance and support. Unfortunately I doubt they ever will be here.

Our last youth team had a number of players released who are now slowly working there ways up the leagues. As they have found less hostile playing environments to improve.

ACL stands for anterior cruciate ligament and MCL is medial collateral ligament. It's one of the worst sports injuries, as it takes months to heal.

It's a shame. I've heard a lot of good things about him, and he must be one of the youngsters closest to getting in the first team. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

I only asked what his injury was, didn't need an explination into ACL, I already know what that is! just to lazy to go back and look for injury  lol

I'm sorry but how can we expect a manager to throw a young player in when we as fans are so unforgiving.

Remember when max gradel got the go ahead the amount of fans on here who were oh he can't cross a ball. He was a kid under 20 with bags of potential.

Young players are not the finished article and need time to improve on the skills they have and work on the skills they lack. This can only be achieved by game time and exposure to first team football and patience. They can't be greeted by oohs and ahhs by unforgiving fans every time they misplace a pass or choose a wrong option.

I truly believe less young players will be given a chance at this level due to the pressure environment created around stadiums in this league.

Remember the fledglings at united were not all superstars when they broke through and needed time to adapt.

Is Cain/Taft/hopper etc good enough? Ofcourse not. Can they be? Maybe if given time, guidance and support. Unfortunately I doubt they ever will be here.

Our last youth team had a number of players released who are now slowly working there ways up the leagues. As they have found less hostile playing environments to improve.

I'm sorry but although I understand the point you're trying to make, it's a kop out for managers not to blood youngsters because of this reason. They have to be given a chance at some point and they often are at some clubs. Some would say the reason for Gradel's transformation from talented but raw youngster in to one of the best championship players within 2 seasons was because we gave him chances to make mistakes and learn and then he developed and got better, sadly for Leeds and not for us. How do they do that if they aren't given a chance? Loaning them out, fair enough but sometimes they are capable of developing at their parent club and do a good job whilst they learn.

Pearson much prefers to borrow other clubs youngsters than put immediate faith in his own, perhaps that's because United and other Prem clubs youngsters are better but it's a bit shortsighted and he has made mistakes in the past with our academy prospects, Gradel and Schlupp being two of them.

We've some serious talent in Cain, Dodoo, Panayiouto and a few others, I hope they get the recognition and their potential doesn't go to waste.

If anyone wants to see Cain in action, the final of the Hong Kong tournament that we won vs Newcastle he was superb. I know it was a development squad, but their's contained Sammy Ameobi, Shane Ferguson and that Slovenian midfielder whose mustard but his name escapes me.

See below.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2013/05/newcastle-united-v-leicester-city-hong-kong-soccer-sevens-final-video/

Guest MattP

I went and watched the youth team a few months ago and none of them stood as players I would want near the first team yet.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

Archived