Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silverdaz

Why do some people actually dislike Pearson as manager

I've always liked Pearson. Admittedly, when he was appointed the first time round I was sceptical, mainly because I had no idea who he was. He's by no means a perfect manager, but for him to receive the stick he does is really surprising. 

I for one really like his post-match interviews, he protects his players in public and takes responsibility when he has to answer tough questions. My favourite interview was post-match against Leeds in the League 1 season when he was asked whether he'd be watching the MK Dons match later that day (which could have seen us promoted if they dropped points), and he replied by saying he'd  be sat at home watching a World War II film. 

Any one taking bets to how many pages this thread will get up to?

Not sure but it's interesting so far.

Surprised at the lack of / late show by the paid club stooges, except Babylon who's thrown his skewed hand in fairly early.

Probably all holed up at HQ awaiting the fax from higher up before they're allowed to properly respond.

Cliff & Lance forced to pull an all-nighter hunched over the morse code machine armed with salted snacks & no frills lager.

Good to see a few un-blinkered 'opened eyed' realists posting on this thread though. 

Put 5 past Monaco tomorrow & even I'll (maybe) be on here with a glass half full...of stale piss.

In terms of the pressure of management this season there isn't another manager in this league under more pressure than Pearson is right from the off imo.

I would definately agree with that mate a good start is imperitive for big nige

The reasons to dislike just don't add up for me

He always plays 442: pretty sure we played 451 and 433 last season but hey why let the truth get in the way.

He doesn't communicate with the media: ok let's bring back ollie, Sven or Sousa they were great at talking to the media.

He is arrogant and pig headed: never heard anyone who has actually met him say this.

He always plays his favourites like Gallly an wellens........

He has made some terrible signings: so has Alex Ferguson and Joes Mourinio

The Little debate: yes the same little who took over when we were bottom of division one and got us to the play offs this is the same Nigel Pearson who took over when we had been relegated to division 2 and took us up as champions and backed that up with finishing in the play offs

What else you got?

you have no idea what I think you dumb **** and nothing but good? he forced out 1 of our most talented prospects for peanuts who was then sold for millions, how many arguments with players has he had? he threw his toys out of the pram and left after a row with Lee Hoos...

He is an average championship level manager nothing more and if he doesn't start well he'll be out of work

You tell us then?

Positive:

Gets the players fit

Takes no shit

Has been willing to offload the big paid players

Usually makes ok signings

Good backroom staff

Negatives:

Also has made some poor signings this time round

Tactically naive (resorts to long ball when under pressure)

R/ship with Stringer periodically immature

Away form last season was never rectified

If the negatives can be turned round, I'm happy to see what we can do this season.. Though I'm not overly expectant.

Fair and very balanced.

He's by no stretch a likeable man from the exposure us fans get - however take nothing away from his managerial ability. I think Pearson has done so much for the club. 

He does lack creativity - however last season we went all the way up till February with a supposedly boring formula which kept us in the top 2 - our downfall appeared to be a lack of confidence from the players rather than tactics. 

Inability to move to a plan b when it's obvious the opposition have worked out plan  a.

playing players out of position.

stubborn usage of 442.

needless substitutions in last  10 mins of game.

has no clue how to tactically treat playoff games, evidence - 2 losses

Inability to move to a plan b when it's obvious the opposition have worked out plan  a.

stubborn usage of 442.

needless substitutions in last  10 mins of game.

No clue to tactically treat play-off games?! How is it his fault Knockaert missed?

Inability to move to a plan b when it's obvious the opposition have worked out plan a.

stubborn usage of 442.

needless substitutions in last 10 mins of game.

a penalty shoot out loss and a mad last 30 secs were we missed a penalty and they score hardly says he hasn't a clue how to treat a play off game does it.

How do you know the subs are needless? Do you know players haven't got a knock or arnt exhausted?

And as I said above 351 and 433 alluded last season!

When was the last time city won 2 games in a season by y goals and a couple more by 4?

a penalty shoot out loss and a mad last 30 secs were we missed a penalty and they score hardly says he hasn't a clue how to treat a play off game does it.

How do you know the subs are needless? Do you know players haven't got a knock or arnt exhausted?

And as I said above 351 and 433 alluded last season!

When was the last time city won 2 games in a season by y goals and a couple more by 4?

so what your saying is,  we lost those games but it wasn't his fault. brian little never lost a playoff semi, was he just lucky in your book?

the OP asked for reasons,  these are mine. if you disagree with them it doesn't change the reason why i don't like him does it, it just means you shouldn't be posting on this thread becasue this is for people who don't like him. not rocket science is it?

so you've forgotten  the cardfiff game already. home leg, bad tactics.

That doesn't add up to having no clue how to treat play-off games. He may have got his tactics wrong in one game (and not having his first choice strikers available didn't help), but he more than made up for it in the second leg. Getting your tactics wrong in one game doesn't mean you're going to get them wrong in every game of that nature as he has proved since. In fact it has shown that he's learnt from his mistakes. It's not even like we'd be talking about it for a second if the officials had done their job correctly in the second leg.

Just my thoughts on the Pearson situation. Firstly forgetting everything on and off the pitch the guy clearly cares about the club, to come back after the way things went down with Sousa etc shows that he's not stubborn but actually the opposite...he has the drive to finish what he started.

To say he has had the biggest budget in the last two years is a little unfair. He's been living with the constraints left by svens legacy and still made some fantastic signings. Lowering the wage bill and age of the squad in the process.

To say he's tactically inept isn't fair either. He doesn't always get it right but the who does. Ferguson got it drastically wrong against Real Madrid last year is he tactically inept.

One title and two playoffs in three full seasons is amazing...but obviously it's pearsons fault that we missed those penalties. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

And lastly, it takes time to build a squad who can go up, and not just go up but stay up. Long term developing a good young squad slowly will be of benefit when we do go up in the few seasons. Watch Palace this year...simply not ready to take on the PL.

so what your saying is, we lost those games but it wasn't his fault. brian little never lost a playoff semi, was he just lucky in your book?

the OP asked for reasons, these are mine. if you disagree with them it doesn't change the reason why i don't like him does it, it just means you shouldn't be posting on this thread becasue this is for people who don't like him. not rocket science is it?

I'm taking nothing away from Brian Little but what i am saying is Pearson was a couple of penalties away from equalling everything he did in his first two seasons.

All I am saying is I cannot see any reason to dislike him, he has done more for our club than anyone in the last 10 years.

Don't dislike the man, dislike some of the football we play. I'd rather play beautifully and lose than play ugly and win.

To his credit we played some smashing stuff at the start of last season, after Christmas it went a bit league 1.

Would you really, though?

Think back to when Pearson left and we had Sousa. Now I love Sousa, wanted him to take us up. We played beautiful football (probably the best I've ever seen us play) but after a few games we were bottom of the league, and were not getting the results (6-1 at Portsmouth comes to mind).

I'd like it balanced, which I personally think Pearson gives us. We can play nice stuff and get the results, but if needed, we can play ugly and get the results.

Negative

Hasn't got us to the Prem with probably the biggest purse in the league for two years.

Hang on a minute, didn't the manager before him spend most of that purse? And the argument of we spent the most last season isn't true, because Cardiff spent £10million (the most), Forest and Hull spent more while Blackburn spent £8million on one player.

Would you really, though?

Think back to when Pearson left and we had Sousa. Now I love Sousa, wanted him to take us up. We played beautiful football (probably the best I've ever seen us play) but after a few games we were bottom of the league, and were not getting the results (6-1 at Portsmouth comes to mind).

I'd like it balanced, which I personally think Pearson gives us. We can play nice stuff and get the results, but if needed, we can play ugly and get the results.

Hang on a minute, didn't the manager before him spend most of that purse? And the argument of we spent the most last season isn't true, because Cardiff spent £10million (the most), Forest and Hull spent more while Blackburn spent £8million on one player.

You continue to make some very sensible posts buddy.

:thumbup:

every criticism made against Pearson seems to be exactly the same criticism that most managers of most clubs receive from there fans. bar a few exceptions there aren't many managers that aren't "tactically inept" or "use the same subs every game". 

My usual favourite it "He has his favourites"... well duh.

Archived