Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mack

3-5-2 Does not suit our sqaud

I've seen 2 of the 3 competitive games we have played so far, and I have to say that the 3-5-2 formation just does not play to the strengths of our squad for me.

Today we lacked any creative spark until Dyer and Knockaert came on, and that pretty much sums up our woes in this system; It just doesn't allow us to be creative, the wing backs are afraid to go beyond the opposing full back and the centre of midfield is creating nothing.

For me we need to get back into a 4-4-2 with Dyer and the French wonder weaving their magic, this 3-5-2 lark might work for Watford who have the personnel but not for us.

The French wonder isn't a winger and refusal to move away from 442 is the reason we collapsed from February onwards....

And we do have the squad for 352

I dont agree.

In this system we create nothing offensively, as it does not allow the creative players the freedom to go forward without risking leaving us open to punishing counter attacks.

Moan if we're 442, moan if we're trying something different.

Are you ever happy Mack?

I think you've mistaken me for someone else.

I'm not moaning, just pointing out that our most creative players are on the bench because of the system we are playing, and it makes no sense.

Don't agree, thought we look good at times playing 352 against a good hard working team. I think if De Laet hadn't been ill we wouldn't have changed. I also think we do need a player who can play from the back and that is where Miguel will come in. We also need a more attacking wing back on the right.

Liked what I saw today, and has improved from the first game.

We won't play 352 all the time but think its the way forward for us.

I posted a few weeks ago about 'giving the new formation the time it needs'.

If you believe it could work, you need to give it time. Personally, I think it looks like a much more solid formation away from home, which I'm pleased about because we were fragile last season away.

At home? Well let's see.

It fits in so Pearson can play his "favourites" IMHO.

I don't think that is the case.

Dyer is not starting for example. I think it's the 'fashion' in the Championship at the moment, but when you cant acquire players and your most creative players miss out because of it how can that be the right thing to do?

Don't agree, thought we look good at times playing 352 against a good hard working team. I think if De Laet hadn't been ill we wouldn't have changed. I also think we do need a player who can play from the back and that is where Miguel will come in. We also need a more attacking wing back on the right.

Liked what I saw today, and has improved from the first game.

We won't play 352 all the time but think its the way forward for us.

De Laet and Konchesky never once beat the full back to get a cross in, and nothing creative came from centre mid either.

In fact it looks to me like the wing backs have been told not to risk trying to beat the man and leaving the side in the shit if they dont.

How can it be the way forward when we aren't creating any chances using it?

Meanwhile our creative players are moulding the subs bench to the shape of their arse cheeks.

Seems like madness to me.

Said this before, however, we do need to give it time imo. Players are adapting to it still, it's a big change to carry that into competitive matches.

Dyer on our wings, every week? Please no. He's half asleep most of the time. 

I posted a few weeks ago about 'giving the new formation the time it needs'.

If you believe it could work, you need to give it time. Personally, I think it looks like a much more solid formation away from home, which I'm pleased about because we were fragile last season away.

At home? Well let's see.

Agreed. We need to give this system time to bed in. We can't change systems everytime we drop a point.

I dont agree.

In this system we create nothing offensively, as it does not allow the creative players the freedom to go forward without risking leaving us open to punishing counter attacks.

352 isnt the problem.

playing king, dd and james together is the problem.

as soon as knocky is on the pitch we link play much better.

the other 3 are too similar and offer nothing going foward. unless kingy gets 12 yards out.

the front 2 are left 2 isolated.

rwb suits delaet. we just need a lwb or to convert schlupp. as dyer cant defend and konch is too old to be playing wb.

352 isnt the problem.

playing king, dd and james together is the problem.

as soon as knocky is on the pitch we link play much better.

the other 3 are too similar and offer nothing going foward. unless kingy gets 12 yards out.

the front 2 are left 2 isolated.

rwb suits delaet. we just need a lwb or to convert schlupp. as dyer cant defend and konch is too old to be playing wb.

Fully agree with that 3-5-2 looks a great formation with the players we have available. Zoom, when up to speed, will, I hope, be our lwb. The midfield 3 of today is too defensive, especially when at home, put Knocky in just behind the top two instead of DD.

It's a work in progress, you can't just expect to adapt a new system and it to click straight away. Seriously, there is no pleasing some of you. We have a formation when it works you still complain that it's too basic. It's only been 3 competitive games.Calm the fvck down.

Point being in the two games I have seen is that we have not really threatened the opposition until the creative players have been introduced in the second half.

I hope I am wrong, but for me the starting line up in this formation lacks the creative spark to break sides down.

It's a work in progress, you can't just expect to adapt a new system and it to click straight away. Seriously, there is no pleasing some of you. We have a formation when it works you still complain that it's too basic. It's only been 3 competitive games.Calm the fvck down.

Two of which we won, and drew the other. It's not like the results have been disastrous.

It's the personnel at the moment which needs changing, not the system. We need some creativity in the midfield, and a LWB who can defend and get forward for much of the match. I think Schlupp would be ideal at LWB, but we're yet to see him play there.

It's crucial to play between the lines in this system, but currently we're playing three flat, defensive central midfielders so the strikers have next to no service. It's not rocket science that we create much more when Knockaert is in a free role as he's able to find the gaps between the opposition's defence and midfield, and everyone (including the wing backs) suddenly have more options on the ball. I think Marshall would do alright in the hole too as, although not as creative as Knockaert, he is more suited to central midfielder as defensively he is better and doesn't give the ball away as much as Knockaert.

The potential is there, we just need to use it right, and I think we will eventually. We just need to be less defensive minded.

Last season Leeds out did us at home when we played 442 and needed Keane to score last minute to save us. Today we looked solid and they realistically never looked like scoring, we hit the post and had the better chances. We look much more solid which is what you need in this league to win promotion, as long as you constantly rack up points you will head to the automatics and that's what we look like at the moment. As it clicks we will create more going forward.

Didn't work today that's for sure. Konch and RDL were both basically full backs so it was actually 5-3-2. To compound that all three midfielders played with a defensive outlook. Unsurprisingly all added up to no attacking threat whatsoever. For a home game early in the season against beatable opposition, such a lack of attacking ambition is pathetic and embarrassing.

If it's going to work NP needs to be comfortable playing attacking players down the wings. Those players are supposed to be just as attacking as they are defensive. They need to be quick with bags of stamina, able to effectively track back as well as beat a man and put in a cross. Paul Konchesky has no place in the system and De Laet is going to struggle. Relying on the largely unknown new lad to make this system work is pretty poor management from NP.

Whay frustrates me most is that last season, playing 4-4-2 with mostly the same players, we had spells where we played with pace and style, often tearing teams apart. We should be focussing on what we were doing right and amplifying it, playing to our strengths. But instead we're pissing around trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Can't help but think Pearson has lost his way a bit with this formation change.

Archived