Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Financial Fair Play: 'A third of owners considering selling club'

How do the BBC know this? How many owners will admit to planning to sell, even if that is in fact what they are planning? Surely this is mostly guesswork.

I guess it depends on whether you believe the clubs finance directors and the BDO.

BDO LLP, which recently oversaw the administration and subsequent sale of League Two club Portsmouth, spoke to finance directors at 66 clubs from across the English Premier League, Football League Championship, Leagues One and Two and the Scottish Premiership,

BDO is the award-winning UK member firm of the BDO international network, the world's fifth largest accountancy organisation, with 1,200 offices in 138 countries

I would have thought a third of owners considering selling in the next 18 months is pretty much business as usual. But I can see FFP forcing a few owners out, quite possibly our own. Might lead to us becoming a successful fan owned cheap ticket club with safe standing. Might lead to us being stuck in the bottom half of the championship as teams with parachute payments dominate the league year in year out. Who knows.

I agree it would be fantastic if more English clubs adopted the 50+1 rule that's is so popular in Germany however the availability of funds could potentially be an issue.

Agree with this.

I think there are far too many clubs owned by foreign tycoons now for it to ever really come into fruition. I really don't think a massive money loss would hit English football. It would in the short-term, but in the long-term I think it'd do us the world of good. I think English football, for how much money is in it, is absolutely woeful.

If it means more supporter owned clubs across the country like Portsmouth then fantastic.

Oh yes.....

I would love to be fighting relegation from the football league rather trying to gain promotion to the Premier League.

How many top footballing sides are run by the fans?   

Answer - Only Dortmund.

The model isn't successful.

The good people of Leicester had 124 years to fund a successful football club and didn't.

What makes anyone think there is someone prepared to dig very deep to support the club now, or, are the fans really going to have the financial clout to be able to run a football club?

English football as we all remember it is gone.  It is in the past.

So the choice is, roll with the changes or do something else.

What matters is not who owns the club but is it financially viable. running a club with a supporters trust and excpecting them  to make up  revenue shortfall is just as bad as a sugar daddy loaning clubs money for the chance of promotion.

live within your means or you'll go  bust.

it's not rocket science.

Oh yes.....

I would love to be fighting relegation from the football league rather trying to gain promotion to the Premier League.

Answer - Only Dortmund.

At risk of straying off topic, Borussia Dortmund is not run by its fans; it's run by its board of directors, just any other major publicly-traded corporation is

In a football world ruled by Sky, the greed league, mad owners who change kits, names, and put elephants outside the ridiculously named half empty stadiums, the fan owned club would be fantastic.

Sunday was the epitome of football today.

Even if we all put in ten pounds you would probably only get about 20000 people doing at most. That would only equate to 200000 if some players are earning 20000 a week then the money we would raise wouldn't even cover that one players wages.

In fact it wouldn't be anywhere near covering it.

I think we would end up like cov, Pompey, Plymouth et all if this happened to us.

Oh yes.....

Answer - Only Dortmund.

The other model isn't a rip roaring success either. Since we went into admin in 2002 25 other league clubs have too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(British_football)

Or fight for what you believe in.

This sounds very good but probably lacks a little substance.

First of all, what needs changing and what would replace it?

I personally don't like Sky and the distortion Sky money brings to football.  I would prefer clubs to be self-financing representations of their local community.  But...how exactly do you fight against this?  I assume you don't mean fighting Sky with petrol bombs, so the only thing fans could really do is boycott Sky.  

The problem is, many of the same people complaining about Sky are also Sky subscribers.  I know I am.  So how effective would any boycott in this country actually be?  Even if a boycott could be organised in this country, I'm guessing the vast majority of Sky income actually comes from abroad.  

I always appreciate people standing up for what they believe in, therefore I respect the organisers of Against Modern Football.  It does no harm to publicise an issue, however how much do the banners actually embarrass Sky?  Probably not too much.

There is no way Leicester can make major, ethically based changes to the way it is run without the vast majority of other clubs in the country doing it too.  It would just make Leicester uncompetitive.

As things stand, we are better off owned by the Raksriaksorns.  Not only that, in the context Leicester City currently exists within, we are probably lucky to have them because we could be so much worse off.

Agree with the above.

People who are 'against modern football' but still go to games and still have a sky subscription are no better than people who complain that McDonalds is making them fat while they sit in McDonalds stuffing their faces with cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets and fries dipped in sweet, luscious barbeque saurce, before finishing it off with a delicate, creamy McFlurry and a chocolate fvcking donut.

If so many fans don't like football today, stop funding it. If 80% of people boycotted games and Sky TV for three short months in the middle of the season, I reckon enough damage would be done to get a good reaction.

Won't happen though of course, because most of the people moaning have no real conviction in their complaints.

Archived