Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

The best fans in the world?

Re the initial post - When I were a lad (god I can't believe I am saying that - where did the years go) and I'm only 41(.8) 12k was about the average attendance at Filbo. Mid 80's early 90s. Although in the prem years we got high 20s and early 30s for a team that has been in L1 and the championship for so long, 22k is pretty good. Attendances will rise a little further now the holiday period is over and if we keep on winning games. We have a very successful egg chasing team to compete with and although Leicester is the 7th largest city (by demographics) in the UK (and yes bigger than Nottingham and much bigger than Derby (but not Derbyshire)), we have a large ethnic community to be proud of, many denominations of which have a cultural background where football is not as established or they simply don't feel safe due to the terrible issues with racism  witnessed only a few years ago which still festers under the surface.

Leicester City is not steeped in history either and doesn't have a large county dedicated to the team. Many residents around the fringes are closer to  Nottingham / Derby / Coventry etc and see those teams as their 'club' (NB Coventry by demographics equals Leicester in size)

Add the ever increasing cost of the game to the equation, the increased number of evening games which I + many others simply cannot make(work / kids / school etc) and I think we are doing well to achieve 22k even though I would love to see 30k+ in there every week.

Going back to filbo days, standing in pen 2 or pen 3, there was a lot of noise because everyone was standing despite much smaller attendances. So much noise, those seated in the DD WA and ES joined in and it felt natural to sing along. Across the UK, seats have quietened the game, not the size of the crouds.  

We aren't an especially BIG club I am afraid. We never have been. Of the 92 in the football league in terms of croud size going back to year dot etc, we are probably between 20th and 30th. In terms of performance, no euro cups, no FA cup wins, No Prem / old League 1 wins. If you travel outside of the uk many folk have never heard of Leicester City but I hate to say this ( and I really do hate to say it!!), they all know Notts Forest because of their success in the past.  

LCFC need a sustained spell in the prem. This will build the brand and get the crowds back in. Sustain it for 5 - 10 years or so, get the odd year in Europe, win a few domestic cups and then and only then will LCFC start to be viewed as a big club by the wider footballing community at home and abroad. . 

NB no vids but Pompey fans have done themselves proud over the years + any fan of any lower div team that goes week in week out just to see if their team will survive in the football league every year.

Saves me a post.

Anyone complaining about 22,000 is just deluded. We used to regularly have tickets available for premier league games and filbo and crowds below 20,000.

Re the initial post - When I were a lad (god I can't believe I am saying that - where did the years go) and I'm only 41(.8) 12k was about the average attendance at Filbo. Mid 80's early 90s. Although in the prem years we got high 20s and early 30s for a team that has been in L1 and the championship for so long, 22k is pretty good. Attendances will rise a little further now the holiday period is over and if we keep on winning games. We have a very successful egg chasing team to compete with and although Leicester is the 7th largest city (by demographics) in the UK (and yes bigger than Nottingham and much bigger than Derby (but not Derbyshire)), we have a large ethnic community to be proud of, many denominations of which have a cultural background where football is not as established or they simply don't feel safe due to the terrible issues with racism  witnessed only a few years ago which still festers under the surface.

Leicester City is not steeped in history either and doesn't have a large county dedicated to the team. Many residents around the fringes are closer to  Nottingham / Derby / Coventry etc and see those teams as their 'club' (NB Coventry by demographics equals Leicester in size)

Add the ever increasing cost of the game to the equation, the increased number of evening games which I + many others simply cannot make(work / kids / school etc) and I think we are doing well to achieve 22k even though I would love to see 30k+ in there every week.

Going back to filbo days, standing in pen 2 or pen 3, there was a lot of noise because everyone was standing despite much smaller attendances. So much noise, those seated in the DD WA and ES joined in and it felt natural to sing along. Across the UK, seats have quietened the game, not the size of the crouds.  

We aren't an especially BIG club I am afraid. We never have been. Of the 92 in the football league in terms of croud size going back to year dot etc, we are probably between 20th and 30th. In terms of performance, no euro cups, no FA cup wins, No Prem / old League 1 wins. If you travel outside of the uk many folk have never heard of Leicester City but I hate to say this ( and I really do hate to say it!!), they all know Notts Forest because of their success in the past.  

LCFC need a sustained spell in the prem. This will build the brand and get the crowds back in. Sustain it for 5 - 10 years or so, get the odd year in Europe, win a few domestic cups and then and only then will LCFC start to be viewed as a big club by the wider footballing community at home and abroad. . 

NB no vids but Pompey fans have done themselves proud over the years + any fan of any lower div team that goes week in week out just to see if their team will survive in the football league every year.

I do agree with you,

However I must be blunt with you....

Millions support Leicester... we get 22,000 fans in the stadium... Leicester fans are mostly armchair fans are are not passionate enough about the club, 

The Leicester city culture is no more and It is not a passion of families like leeds fans for example (Where the passion is taught from a young age) - Yes they don't sell out every week I know...

But from a passion point of view.. Leicester are terrible.. 

apart from that, spot on

I do wonder how much of the football you're watching while you're ****ing around with little cheerleader displays. Not a fan of tifo at all, except a bit prematch maybe.

I watch 99% of the football.... 1% spent on not concentrating when singing....

Men can sometimes multitask if they want too!

I'm off to Dinamo Zagreb V Hadjuk Spilt later this year, expecting that to be half decent.

Good choice mate. A few of us went over to Croatia for a mate's stag do and wedding last year and we went to Zagreb to catch that very game. If you haven't got tickets already then I'd recommend the north stand as that's where the Dinamo ultras are (the big blue boys they call themselves!). The atmosphere was incredible. It was 60% excitement 40% pure fear from my perspective. It was tense outside the ground to say the least. Great experience though.

I do agree with you,

Millions support Leicester... we get 22,000 fans in the stadium... Leicester fans are mostly armchair fans are are not passionate enough about the club, 

The Leicester city culture is no more and It is not a passion of families like leeds fans for example (Where the passion is taught from a young age) - Yes they don't sell out every week I know...

apart from that, spot on

Millions? We probably have 500-600k at most following the club.

I do agree with you,

apart from that, spot on

Don't worry about being blunt mate. I kind of agree - not sure about millions - 300K live in the city limits + exiles + county. I agree probably enough to fill the stadium after my previous exclusions.

Armchair fans bug me but only those that have the money and aren't restricted by work and family commitments and still call themselves fans. I have to ground myself sometimes when I get a letter from school about a £12 trip and see them offering parents payment plans over 8 weeks to pay for it. I'm sure many of those in that situation would love to go to the city every week. (but lets not start the 'get a job' debate as I'm sure many are working for a pittance)

I lived in Leeds fr 2 years (thank god I escaped). They moan the same as we do re attendance and passion but the Northern clubs tend to have a more working class heritage than the Slightly more middle class East Mids. Any comedian will tell you Leicester is amongst the worse places to come( despite the comedy festival) as it takes a lot to stir up the crowd but to counter this we heckle less as well. No passion again either way - we are a stuck up lot in general. Leeds fans have the war of the roses and the more working class 'we are all in it together' mentality which drives greater passion. 

My son is 6 now and I've had to play the long game to get him to matches. He plays for 3 footy clubs, plays fifa, kitchen football, in the garden and when tired.....subbuteo but I couldn't get him to a game - it's too long Daddy - I'll get boredl. The better half works weekends and my folks are season ticket holders so if he wouldn't go, neither could I and I wasn't going to drag him along moaning. Finally I talked him into going and his first game was against ..... Leeds (ZZZzzz) but he loved it and now we are going to every weekend game incl the reserves last Monday as he was off school. I had to pace the house and scream at the radio for 5 years when I just wanted to be at the match

I suppose I am saying that there are many 'armchair fans' that desperately want to be there. it's those that can but don't because we aren't in the prem that bug me but seriously how many of those are there? They can hardly class themselves as fans. I'd support LCFC even if we were relegated to the Conference because it's in my blood but I have to say, I'll not sing along on my own with my son sat in the family end because I'd feel a right numpty. Get me in a standing area with the lads and a beer down me and .. well that's a different story. 

To get the atmosphere back, bring back standing. We can contemplate dropping bombs on Syria and killing innocent kids but we can't trust fans to look after themselves at a footy game standing up despite the improved turnstiles,security and removal of fences etc. 

Oh yeah, singing no problem. Waving bits of paper around, doing the okey cokey, turning around to bounce and holding massive flags over half a stand? Bit different.

We sing??

More like 200 people getting drowned out everygame... Unless... of course.. we are winning... then the sun is shining and birds are singing, if we are losing leicester city players are not worth the shit on the fans shoes... 

Millions? We probably have 500-600k at most following the club.

Actually, you are probably right... 

But still.. out of everything you picked out a small wrong instead of contributing to the thread....

Anything structured you could say about how we talk about being such a HUGE club.. yet we have such a glory hunting fanbase? we soon hit the high 20's pushing 30s when we are in the playoffs... 

Id love for us to be the club we seem to think we are :(

Actually, you are probably right... 

But still.. out of everything you picked out a small wrong instead of contributing to the thread....

Anything structured you could say about how we talk about being such a HUGE club.. yet we have such a glory hunting fanbase? we soon hit the high 20's pushing 30s when we are in the playoffs... 

Id love for us to be the club we seem to think we are :(

Well we don't, our attendances in our last two play-off seasons were similar to those in the relegation year of 2008. We even managed two 30k-plus attendances that season, we didn't reach over 25k for a league game last season.

Well we don't, our attendances in our last two play-off seasons were similar to those in the relegation year of 2008. We even managed two 30k-plus attendances that season, we didn't reach over 25k for a league game last season.

2007 was the relegation season (Well 2007/2008) 

ticket prices were under £18-25 for adults then! No wonder we had good attendances!! £10 more and we get 22k for the first home game of the season (ON A SUNDAY) Regardless on whether its on TV or not.... If you support leicester, you go to support the club, not stay at home?

there is an argument for both sides but you are comparing this season to 4/5 years ago in completely different positions... we were in financial difficulty with a poor squad, and averaged the same as when we have millions and a decent one,

You have completely missed the point of the thread.

Our atmosphere is not very good for a "Massive" club.. sometimes silent.. I recall being in the draw against forest at home in the league last year. it was a fantastic match but our support was a disgrace!....

it seems without the drum we are silent, whenever we are on sky Its quiet in the KP.

Just seems like as we have progressed as a club financially and on the pitch, our passion has got worse!

I think atmosphere got sucked out of most stadiums once the game started to become a rich mans game, lets face it you need an awful lot of money to support any half decent team these days! What does annoy me is the medias obsession with Liverfool and Newcastle fans who IMO are more fickle than us.

Best fans in this country I think are fans of clubs like Brentford or Rochdale, loyal despite big glory clubs on their doorstep and playing in tight little stadiums that do have some atmosphere left.

ive been disappointed with the lack of songs recently, what is needed in my opinion is to take really well known songs, the sort you sing at the end of a drunken night or karaoke, the ones everyone knows even if theyre cheesy, change the words to suit and voila atmosphere.

heres one ive been thinking about but need help with the words: I will survive Gloria gaynor

" once I was afraid I was petrified, thought Holloway was coming back to take over our side, but nigel he came back and he nearly got it right,took us to the play offs and he restored some pride, we will survive we're blue and white,

I cant think how to finish it

its also been mentioned on other posts about people not getting to their seats early enough, I can remember at filbo that it was quite full during the warm up and that every player had their own song and we wouldn't move on to the next until said player had put his hand up in recognition. we only have about 3 or 4 "player songs" and theyre pretty poor to be honest, this all led to an atmosphere from the kick off

Archived