Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Nugent can go for.....

So if we brought another Harry Kane in, suffered (even more of) a slump in goal scoring from our strikers until January and were well out of automatic contention you think everyone would be fine with that?

I'm not trying to be a dick here but it's situations like these you realise how difficult a managers job is.

I'm sure they wouldn't sell if there wasn't a decent loan or signing lined up.

Nugent's hardly flowing with goals right now anyway. 

Alot of teams serious about promotion from this league have hung onto the better players and added decent players to the squad.

If we sell the likes of nugent it will for me make it clear that the club are more serious about complying with the financial regulation than promotion.

Nugent offers more to the team than goals, and his experience if we are serious about promotion will invaluable.

Looking at the teams in the championship that are amongst the teams we expect to be challenging for promotion they have very good squads, but for me the squad we have,is very light weight, with a steady starting 11 and very little as decent back up. So looking at the teams around us I think we will be lucky to make the play offs and without the likes of nugent around, I would say virtually impossible.

I'm sure they wouldn't sell if there wasn't a decent loan or signing lined up.

Nugent's hardly flowing with goals right now anyway. 

But he has given us them in the past. He's proven. Bringing in a loan signing is a gamble and there's not been a striker recently who's come in on loan and done the biz for us. I'm not saying there'd be nobody lined up but that there wouldn't be much chance of getting a decent replacement.

But he has given us them in the past. He's proven. Bringing in a loan signing is a gamble and there's not been a striker recently who's come in on loan and done the biz for us. I'm not saying there'd be nobody lined up but that there wouldn't be much chance of getting a decent replacement.

Look, I really want to keep Nugent. But you'd be mad to refuse £2.5M for a player who will leave for free at the end of the season.

Look, I really want to keep Nugent. But you'd be mad to refuse £2.5M for a player who will leave for free at the end of the season.

If the club don't think promotion is a realistic then I agree that selling him would be right for the club, but if it's still a realistic target, then take the risk and keep him, and if promoted he will i imagine sign a new contract, if we don't we got him on a free, he leaves on a free.

If the club don't think promotion is a realistic then I agree that selling him would be right for the club, but if it's still a realistic target, then take the risk and keep him, and if promoted he will i imagine sign a new contract, if we don't we got him on a free, he leaves on a free.

On a "free" means we paid him a bulk to join us rather than paying a fee to a club he got a few hundred thousand for joining us.

Mad? I would say it's a very big decision. Promotion chances rest on things like this. get rid of a guy who's scored 15 odd goals for us in the past or have Harry Kane leading the line for us....

On a "free" means we paid him a bulk to join us rather than paying a fee to a club he got a few hundred thousand for joining us.

Good deal for the club then, not like we payed a million plus in a transfer fee, which we would have had to pay if he wasnt on a free,and on the big scale of the investment put in, a couple of hundred grand is nothing, like I say take the risk and keep him, obviously IF the club are still serious about promotion and not balancing the books alone.

Look around in the loan mark, while we sniff for a permanent signing for January? 

Which players then?

It's alright talking about the loan market and January, but you need a few decent names first. Last thing we want is to sell one of our best players then not having a replacement lined up, especially a player who is as good as Nugent.

Nugent would be a massive loss to us.

Which players then?

It's alright talking about the loan market and January, but you need a few decent names first. Last thing we want is to sell one of our best players then not having a replacement lined up, especially a player who is as good as Nugent.

I'm not a scout, I'm sure Walshy and NP have a few possible replacements in mind if they'll sell (which they probably won't) 

I like Nugent, both as a player and as a person. But as others have said, 2.5m is a great deal with 1 year left in contract, his high wages and his current scoring record.

We could still loan a decent striker.

Which players then?

The loan market stays open, so you wouldnt have to panic.

I like Nugent, both as a player and as a person. But as others have said, 2.5m is a great deal with 1 year left in contract, his high wages and his current scoring record.

We could still loan a decent striker.

Who?

The loan market stays open, so you wouldnt have to panic.

But we lose our (arguably) main striker. I keep saying this, are you happy to gamble our promotion chances this early on?

Say Wood gets injured, we then have Vardy and Waghorn up front. Is that okay? Who do you think we could get on loan?

It's alright everyone saying "I'm not a scout" and everything but when you have strong opinions on things, you should have something to back up your arguments. Especially when the same people will be back a few months down the line knocking any decisions that happen to have been made wrongly.

If he moved to a team like QPR, he would probably score more goals, by getting a better service from his team mates. I find it very hard to believe that we would get 2.5 million pounds for him.

Finding a decent replacement for him, would also be extremely difficult at this point in the season, so I would be concerned if he was to go now.

Archived