Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hinckleyfox

Boro-anyone worried nige might be tempted?

If we go up, I can't see us doing a 'Palace' and not investing heavily.The owners will spend big to keep us there IMO and not take the parachute payments by just getting relegated

Even after Peter Taylor and Sven our fans still don't seem to learn.

Spending wisely > Spending heavily.

Pearson/Adams > Sven/Taylor

Swansea > Sunderland

Arsenal > Liverpool

Newcastle > QPR

and so on......

Money is good to have at your disposal, but it's an absolute disaster if you don't use it properly. The two times we have had what people call 'real cash to spend now' are probably the two worst times out football club has been through under the two managers mentioned. A well oiled project beforehand destroyed for a heavily invested mess that was of substandard quality.

It is remarkable how poorly we have done when we've had considerable money to spend. Taking one team from 8th in the Premier League and in Europe to bottom in 13 months, as well as not getting higher than 7th in the Championship in 12 months.

Now, Pearson hasn't been on a shoestring, Adams had a good Division One squad but we've always looked more convincing with those managers. And for O'Neill to achieve what he did with the resources he had was incredible and probably never repeated at this club (consistent top 10 finishes, cup finals and victories, beating the top sides often) without a bigger outlay on the team.

You can still spend heavily

And wisely at the same time.

It's pretty much my point that's what you have to do.

I was responding to the point that we will "heavily invest to keep us there" - it doesn't work like that.

Even after Peter Taylor and Sven our fans still don't seem to learn.

Spending wisely > Spending heavily.

Pearson/Adams > Sven/Taylor

Swansea > Sunderland

Arsenal > Liverpool

Newcastle > QPR

and so on......

Money is good to have at your disposal, but it's an absolute disaster if you don't use it properly. The two times we have had what people call 'real cash to spend now' are probably the two worst times out football club has been through under the two managers mentioned. A well oiled project beforehand destroyed for a heavily invested mess that was of substandard quality.

yes and no

Chelsea and Man City haven't done badly by spending a bit.

We were unfortunate in that we had idiot managers when we had the money to spend.

I'm hoping that should we go up the owners would get a manager with a track record of being able to achieve while spending big and signing big name players.

Obviously a manger with a track record of top level success on a shoestring would be even better for us as a club but wouldn't raise our profile high enough in Asia.

yes and no

Chelsea and Man City haven't done badly by spending a bit.

We were unfortunate in that we had idiot managers when we had the money to spend.

I'm hoping that should we go up the owners would get a manager with a track record of being able to achieve while spending big and signing big name players.

Obviously a manger with a track record of top level success on a shoestring would be even better for us as a club but wouldn't raise our profile high enough in Asia.

Of course, Chelsea and City spent well.

The bit I've highlighted worries me to death, the only decision that should be made should directly relate to what happens on the pitch.

If we go for another famous foreign mercenary just to spunk a load of cash on overpaid players who couldn't care less then we all know what will happen, see QPR last season.

Somehow I don't see Top and Co managing to pull a Pochettino or Laudrup out the hat, if they do go for that we'll get a idiot again, I can see it now.

It is remarkable how poorly we have done when we've had considerable money to spend. Taking one team from 8th in the Premier League and in Europe to bottom in 13 months, as well as not getting higher than 7th in the Championship in 12 months.

Now, Pearson hasn't been on a shoestring, Adams had a good Division One squad but we've always looked more convincing with those managers. And for O'Neill to achieve what he did with the resources he had was incredible and probably never repeated at this club (consistent top 10 finishes, cup finals and victories, beating the top sides often) without a bigger outlay on the team.

O'Neil actually did have money to spend in the Championship. Wasn't Claridge a million, Lennon 750k? Relatively, they were quite expensive signings.

Where he did fantastically was when we got promoted. Relative to other Prem clubs, he was on a shoe string budget, but spent mostly very wisely.

I think this is pretty simple.

Good money coupled with good manager will usually bring success.

The problem with Sven and Taylor was good money coupled with crap managers on both occasions.

QPR are now the only unbeaten team in the country. I'm not surprised. They have good money at this level AND a good manager in 'Arry.

It would have been interesting to see what Pearson might have done with the millions Sven had at his disposal.

I think this is pretty simple.

Good money coupled with good manager will usually bring success.

The problem with Sven and Taylor was good money coupled with crap managers on both occasions.

QPR are now the only unbeaten team in the country. I'm not surprised. They have good money at this level AND a good manager in 'Arry.

It would have been interesting to see what Pearson might have done with the millions Sven had at his disposal.

Disagree Rednapp is not a good manager. Take away the money he is joe average. He failed to keep Qpr up last season ans Spurs saw through him and got rid. Qpr are doing well this season because they have a premier league squad in an average Championship. Any team that gets promoted this season will struggle in the Premiership. Ask fans of Cardiff, Palace and Hull it is not what it is portrayed to be the b all and end. Ffp will see to that too. Premier league three leagues in one. The haves, nearly haves, and wish we had.

Disagree Rednapp is not a good manager. Take away the money he is joe average. He failed to keep Qpr up last season ans Spurs saw through him and got rid. Qpr are doing well this season because they have a premier league squad in an average Championship. Any team that gets promoted this season will struggle in the Premiership. Ask fans of Cardiff, Palace and Hull it is not what it is portrayed to be the b all and end. Ffp will see to that too. Premier league three leagues in one. The haves, nearly haves, and wish we had.

I'd be very surprised if most Spurs fans weren't pleased with what Redknapp did at the club.

Saved them from relegation and then 4th in the following season?

That's not Joe Average IMO.

And QPR could easily gave been right in the shit this season. I'm sure many posters were predicting they would be?

But they are top and I think will win the league.

Arry's even got that little turd Joey Barton playing well for him. Average manager? Nah...

Redknapp is like Sven, the only difference being Redknapp knows the English game.

lol

The two are as different as chalk and cheese.

Try to differentiate not liking him from his ability as a football manager. He ain't my favourite bloke, but I respect him as a manager.

O'Neil actually did have money to spend in the Championship. Wasn't Claridge a million, Lennon 750k? Relatively, they were quite expensive signings.

Where he did fantastically was when we got promoted. Relative to other Prem clubs, he was on a shoe string budget, but spent mostly very wisely.

We did sell Joachim to Villa for £1.5 miliion and also had some Draper transfer money left over.

On the Redknapp thing, he didn't really keep Spurs up. They were never bad enough to be there all season.

Common knowledge a run of 3-4 losses on the bounce and NP is a goner.

Think if the money's right, he would go to MBoro.

I doubt he came back to us out of love for the club, money talks, no loyalty in the game, that goes for fans, players and staff.

Sad but true.

Stop talking absolute bollocks, you have been shown up as a complete bellend when it transpired that no, Pearson wasn't replaced at the end of last season.

Archived