Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Isle of Wight Fox 86

Defensive Record

our defensive back up is light weight, and we have a few injuries and are having to constantly change the back 4 so I think considering this, we're doing well. and as long as we're scoring one more each game it doesn't matter. once RDL is back and poss st ledger as back up, we'll look decent again... i think the prob is the lack of strength in nidfiekld, no ball winner so the defense doesnt get enough cover,,,, hopefully matty james can fill that role after his game against ipswich

nb

after 16 games

19 in 2011/12

29 in 2010/11

14 in 2009/10

Cardiff had conceded 23 from 16 last season and Hull 21.

season before - Soton had conceded 17 and reading 15

so all in all 16 seems par / reasonable

I think it seems a lot because we aren't keeping clean sheets

Conceeding 1 a game on average will do me.

I'd be more concerned if we were being ripped apart, but we have conceded quite a few long range efforts and silly goals that im sure will be eradicated. I think we have been unlucky not to have a few more clean sheets than we have so far. 

It is uncharacteristic of us and NP to be shipping as many as we are, but it reflects even better that we are saying this despite our defensive record being in the top 6 in the division. It's the lack of clean sheets that people notice, as we don't often concede two or more in a game.

Well it is the exact same as the 2009-10 season where we also conceded an average of 1 a game. We averaged more last season, so it's nothing to be concerned about, play to win not defend. A clean sheet does nothing for me, I'd take a 2-1 over a 1-0 like I'd take an epic 4-3 over Fulham than a gritty 1-0. As a football fan I enjoy my team winning and scoring goals.

Many of the goals we have conceded were given away as consolations like people have mentioned or sloppy mistakes like penalties at Yeovil and home to Blackburn or bad positioning like wasyl when he slid in on scannel for Huddersfield's goal. Once these blips are ironed out shouldn't be too much off a problem. I guess we can take comfort from this being the championships and games usually have a few goals.

Well it is the exact same as the 2009-10 season where we also conceded an average of 1 a game. We averaged more last season, so it's nothing to be concerned about, play to win not defend. A clean sheet does nothing for me, I'd take a 2-1 over a 1-0 like I'd take an epic 4-3 over Fulham than a gritty 1-0. As a football fan I enjoy my team winning and scoring goals.

Essentially what I said. Though perhaps I have also been hoodwinked a bit by the lack of clean sheets into thinking we have been poorer defensively.

Can't understand people valuing clean sheets as highly as goals. You cannot win a match if you don't score a goal, and this makes goals significantly more valuable.

I'm gonna say it cos I think it's true. I'm actually less worried about the back four as I am about Kasper. He appears to be that type of keeper who can win us three points with a string of world-class saves, but then lose us three points due to a clear lapse of concentration.

There's been a few games now (and the most important one being last season's play off) where Kasper has 'flapped' at something, or dropped something, which has directly led to us losing a game.

Goal-keeping is generally not about pulling off fantastic saves. It's about consistency of performance and safely keeping goal. Although I rate Kasper, overall, he sometimes worries me in terms of he can be a little erratic. You don't usually see this with our back four. Sure, they can have days where they don't play so well, as a unit, but they are generally now pretty solid.

To become a top-class goalie, Kasper must get this erratic aspect of his game gone.

completely agree, however, I also think that he is one of, if not the best keeper at this level and Im delighted we have him. Fantastic reflex keeper but could really do with improving how he comes for crosses and when he comes off his line more generally. Oh...and a little more consistent with his distribution...will save us plenty of points, hopefully far more than he costs us

I actually do wonder if it is a characteristic of Pearson to be a solid defensive side. I always thought it was - but in his time here the first time, we were a class above anyone else in League One all over the pitch, and the next year I think if we'd turned up as an attacking side we'd have not collected as many points as we did.

Last year and this year, he's taken a lot more risks tactically. I think this year we're quite an attacking side and I think it's a lot down to how highly he rates the squad. I'm surprised at the lack of clean sheets but it's not a problem if we're getting 2 a game. We'll win a game 3-1 one day...

Also persons experience as playing as top centre half - my mates dad was a Shrewsbury fan and season ticket holder when Pearson was captain (I think) there and said he a class act - must help him to keep the back four disciplined. Always been a good man manager which helps to explain our usually solid defence.

Archived