Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Isle of Wight Fox 86

Defensive Record

Just a wonder for people on here, but does our defenive record this season concern people? we are currently conceding a goal a game. This sin't moaning or anything as i'm thrilled to be where we are, but just a wonder from people who go to games unlike me.

I know we are scoring more goals than we are conceding, hence why we are 2nd in the leauge, but like i said it was just a general question to what people think is going wrong, as we had one of the best defences this time last year.

Yeah its a funny one. Suppose its about getting the balance right and the fact that our attacking play appears to be better now has meant we've started to concede more goals as we're leaving more gaps etc. As long as we score one more than the opposition I'm happy  :scarf:

It is uncharacteristic of us and NP to be shipping as many as we are, but it reflects even better that we are saying this despite our defensive record being in the top 6 in the division. It's the lack of clean sheets that people notice, as we don't often concede two or more in a game.

As most will say, I care very, very little about how many goals we concede in a game as long as we score one more.

I'd be more concerned if we were conceding more goals down to not being good enough. On balance I still think we have another gear or two yet.

I mean, Kasper cost us the penalty at Blackpool, and the howler at Doncaster, we should have been switched on enough to stop McGoldrick's shot. If we cut out the individual errors and lack of concentration - I feel we'll be fine.

I'm gonna say it cos I think it's true. I'm actually less worried about the back four as I am about Kasper. He appears to be that type of keeper who can win us three points with a string of world-class saves, but then lose us three points due to a clear lapse of concentration.

There's been a few games now (and the most important one being last season's play off) where Kasper has 'flapped' at something, or dropped something, which has directly led to us losing a game.

Goal-keeping is generally not about pulling off fantastic saves. It's about consistency of performance and safely keeping goal. Although I rate Kasper, overall, he sometimes worries me in terms of he can be a little erratic. You don't usually see this with our back four. Sure, they can have days where they don't play so well, as a unit, but they are generally now pretty solid.

To become a top-class goalie, Kasper must get this erratic aspect of his game gone.

I'm gonna say it cos I think it's true. I'm actually less worried about the back four as I am about Kasper. He appears to be that type of keeper who can win us three points with a string of world-class saves, but then lose us three points due to a clear lapse of concentration.

There's been a few games now (and the most important one being last season's play off) where Kasper has 'flapped' at something, or dropped something, which has directly led to us losing a game.

Goal-keeping is generally not about pulling off fantastic saves. It's about consistency of performance and safely keeping goal. Although I rate Kasper, overall, he sometimes worries me in terms of he can be a little erratic. You don't usually see this with our back four. Sure, they can have days where they don't play so well, as a unit, but they are generally now pretty solid.

To become a top-class goalie, Kasper must get this erratic aspect of his game gone.

Agreed to an extent. With a lot of the focus on goal-keepers in the country at the moment (the Joe Hart saga which I think was blown out of proption), the performances of goal-keepers have become magnified.

The mistakes he made this season are rare. Yes, they happened within a few weeks off each other, but overall, he does a lot more good than bad.

Obviously, it'd be in an ideal world that he doesn't make those mistakes. They were howlers, but then mistakes by goal-keepers are always emphasised more so than the world-class saves he pulls off.

Perhaps the communication between Kasper and the defence could improve. I feel safe when he's in goal as opposed to other keepers we've had in the recent past.

I feel there is a lack of composure and organisation across our whole defence, the keeper and central defenders do not dominate the box as they should and we lack defensive cover in front of our back 4, particularly when we give our fullbacks licence to get forward.

In this respect I think we are still too stretched front to back, the backline does not push up enough and with our front two pressing hard in forward positions there is an awful lot of ground for our midfield to cover. We are caught far too easily when the opposition counter attack, so far it has not really cost us.

Let's hope it remains that way....... :fc:

Good post Col. and I really do agree. Nothing I can add really, as you have said it all.

Judging by the last few goals we've conceded, lapses in concentration seem to be the vice of our defence at the minute. That being said, it's tough to knock them too much since nobody's really playing badly, all 4 defenders/keeper are putting in solid shifts on a regular basis. I do get the feeling that there might be a bit of a learning curve for Wasyl, as the Championship imaginably must take a while to get used to, and he hasn't exactly got seasons under his belt in England. 

Once De Laet is back fully fit, I think we'll start to look more solid, and also have that added bit of pace that we might have been lacking a bit in the past few weeks.

Kasper worries me, always have the feeling we will concede one goal during a match due to him getting carried away and making a poor decision, he needs to calm down a little sometimes, it is the reason he is a championship/ lower Premier quality goalie.

I do actually agree with Col too, I don't want Kasper to be the next scapegoat because he is a fantastic keeper but I have never known such a good keeper to be beaten from distance so regularly. It doesn't matter how good your defence is when goals are flying in before the play has even reached the back line.

Kasper has become too complacent for me who can blame him though,  when he has logan as back up we need competition but we won't get that at this level.  If we are promoted you can bet your bottom dollar we will bring in a goalkeeper to challenge Kasper.

As long as we keep scoring 2 and conceding 1 whats the problem? lol

Fundamentally, no problem.

But it sets a dangerous precedent that it's 'okay to concede'. It's not. It won't happen all the time where we concede and come back to win it. We can't go in with the mindset that we'll always score more than the other team.

it's a good trait to have, clearly. It shows good determination and drive and dare I say it, 'never say die' attitude.

But my preference would be score 1, concede none. Score 2, concede none.

I value a clean sheet equally as much as I value a goal scored.

Goal difference could play a part come the end of the season you only have to see now, between us and QPR tied on goal difference but because we have scored 8 more goals than them we are 2nd and not 3rd, difference between automatic promotion and the playoffs difference between 120 million pounds in the kitty or a lottery.

Fundamentally, no problem.

But it sets a dangerous precedent that it's 'okay to concede'. It's not. It won't happen all the time where we concede and come back to win it. We can't go in with the mindset that we'll always score more than the other team.

it's a good trait to have, clearly. It shows good determination and drive and dare I say it, 'never say die' attitude.

But my preference would be score 1, concede none. Score 2, concede none.

I value a clean sheet equally as much as I value a goal scored.

I remember listening to an interview with Pearson near the start of the season where he stated the main emphasis this season is to outscore the opposition, as we didn't take our chances last season and it cost us. We are bound to concede goals with this sort of mentality in the camp, but were also likely to score more as well. It's a double edged sword I guess.

I know it's kind of a throwaway comment due to the fact that you only win by outscoring your opponent, but it seemed pretty clear we'd be taking a few more risks this season. The main emphasis last season seemed to be not to concede rather than trying to score as many as possible.

I frankly dont care if we are conceding a goal a game.  If we do that throughout the season we will end up conceding less than last season.  Cardiff won the league letting in a goal a game on average and Hull finished 2nd letting in 52.  In fact, the best defensive record last season was Brighton, and they shipped 43, only just shy of one a game. Its a non issue.  Just concentrate on the number of Wins in the W column, thats all that counts at the end of the day.  And the fact that we only need 8 more to surpass how many we won last season, pretty much tells you how much we have improved

As long as we score more than the opposition it does not concern me,for all the clean sheets we got last season we struggled to grind out the 1-0 wins or lose a game 1-0 due to not being clinicle enough at they other end,and we only just managed the play offs,though I would like to win games 2-0 etc,I feel that when we concede it gives us a kick up the arse,you can see from the results that we've grounded results out when a team scores a consolation and turned games around when we've conceded first?

As long as we win that's all I'm interested in meself?

Archived