Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Amin

Formula 1 2014

I don't know how much they can improve the engine either.

Not convinced Kimi is demotivated, he just isn't that good and never has been.

The way things stand, it looks like being another battle between Rosberg and Hamilton and I wonder if a calmer Lewis will win more comfortably.

Kimi has proved himself before. Winning a championship in an inferior car? You have to be a good driver to do that.

If you judged Vettel on this season alone, you wouldn't rate him that highly either would you?

Why would Mcclaren not have Magnussen as the reserve driver? The only question they should be asking is who will score more points, Button or Magnussen? Button by a country mile, almost certainly. Have the lad learning from them 2 around the team, taking a few practice sessions etc and he'd probably come on more than being trounced by Alonso week in, week out, so why Mclaren wouldn't/won't be doing this I find quite astonishing.

Could McLaren command the wages of Button AND Alonso though? Not sure Magnussen would be happy with a reserve driver seat. He'll want to get more racing experience. He's shown throughout the season that he is at least equal to Button when it comes down to qualifying and pure pace. He's definitely struggling with strategies and tire preservation though, which you'd imagine he'd get with more races under his belt.

Kimi has proved himself before. Winning a championship in an inferior car? You have to be a good driver to do that.

If you judged Vettel on this season alone, you wouldn't rate him that highly either would you?

Could McLaren command the wages of Button AND Alonso though? Not sure Magnussen would be happy with a reserve driver seat. He'll want to get more racing experience. He's shown throughout the season that he is at least equal to Button when it comes down to qualifying and pure pace. He's definitely struggling with strategies and tire preservation though, which you'd imagine he'd get with more races under his belt.

The Ferrari was the best car when Kimi won his championship. He's not terrible but very overrated. Magnussen has been comprehensively beaten by Button and worryingly, as the season went on he was getting worse not better. 

The Ferrari was the best car when Kimi won his championship. He's not terrible but very overrated. Magnussen has been comprehensively beaten by Button and worryingly, as the season went on he was getting worse not better. 

In the races, I could not agree more. Magnussen has a poor few final races, whereas Button has been rock solid. But they were still as good as even in qualifying throughout the season. Both drivers have pulled off some superb starts on numerous occasions. I will still maintain that it's Magnussens inexperience in races that's the major difference here. I might be remembering wrong or just be biased here, but Magnussen has been under more scrutiny this season than Button. He's been involved in a lot of very intense battles in many races with Vettel, Alonso, Raikkönnen and even Button and hasn't disgraced himself at all.

It would be harsh on Button, I absolutely agree, but it would be a step backwards to ditch Magnussen now.

But will he get close to Alonso next season? Not remotely close, it'll knock his confidence and probably be bad for his development, I think learning off the 2 of them would be much more beneficial than being annihilated by a far superior driver, likely every race. Jenson has never been a brilliant qualifier, by his own admission, but there are no points on Saturday (yet, knowing Bernie it's only a matter of time). And as for can they afford his wages? Can they afford not to pay them? They need a good showing next season and Button clearly has much more to offer than Kevin. He'll still learn, and learn more imo being part of a team with 2 world champion drivers.

In the races, I could not agree more. Magnussen has a poor few final races, whereas Button has been rock solid. But they were still as good as even in qualifying throughout the season. Both drivers have pulled off some superb starts on numerous occasions. I will still maintain that it's Magnussens inexperience in races that's the major difference here. I might be remembering wrong or just be biased here, but Magnussen has been under more scrutiny this season than Button. He's been involved in a lot of very intense battles in many races with Vettel, Alonso, Raikkönnen and even Button and hasn't disgraced himself at all.

It would be harsh on Button, I absolutely agree, but it would be a step backwards to ditch Magnussen now.

To be honest I feel if you can't beat Button in qualifying, then you aren't really fast enough. They say pace doesn't really improve, only race craft and consistency. Button still won 10-9 in qualifying. There are plenty of better drivers than Magnussen out there.

For me Magnussen has done little to suggest he is, or will be top top quality.  Especially not for a team like McLaren.  

I do believe he will get the seat though due to financial reasons and the fact that he has been groomed for the seat by McLaren for a long time now.

It will be a terrible shame to lose Button IMO.  Martin Brundle summed it up best for me by saying that if F1 does lose Jenson then there will be drivers on the starting grid next year that couldn't hold a candle to him.  Sad days for F1.

Just off the top of my head I'd perhaps like to see 3 car teams (Jenson will get a drive then in a decent ride) in 2015.

Teams could pick two drivers at the start of the season to contribute to constructors trophy - the third driver's points wouldn't count.

Smaller teams could run one car with double points scored in the constructors competition.

Smaller teams should also have some advantages like in Moto GP to level the playingfield.

We'd certainly get more competitive racing with the above structure rather than a parade..... thoughts?

Just off the top of my head I'd perhaps like to see 3 car teams (Jenson will get a drive then in a decent ride) in 2015.

Teams could pick two drivers at the start of the season to contribute to constructors trophy - the third driver's points wouldn't count.

Smaller teams could run one car with double points scored in the constructors competition.

Smaller teams should also have some advantages like in Moto GP to level the playingfield.

We'd certainly get more competitive racing with the above structure rather than a parade..... thoughts?

that would be some decent improvements. i just hope i dont lose interest again. it gets so boring after the first few races. 

Who on earth would agree to be the 3rd driver with absolutely nothing to race for? The whole thing is an awful idea, there'll also be no such thing as a midfield anymore unless they were to alter the points system so that it goes down to 18/20 or whatever. People moaned about two car domination... what about 3 Mercedes' on the podium every race? And with how the season ended, most likely the 3 Williams behind them? Three car teams would most likely only happen if we were only left with about 8 or 9 teams, so 16/18 drivers actually allowed to fight for the title?

Who on earth would agree to be the 3rd driver with absolutely nothing to race for? The whole thing is an awful idea, there'll also be no such thing as a midfield anymore unless they were to alter the points system so that it goes down to 18/20 or whatever. People moaned about two car domination... what about 3 Mercedes' on the podium every race? And with how the season ended, most likely the 3 Williams behind them? Three car teams would most likely only happen if we were only left with about 8 or 9 teams, so 16/18 drivers actually allowed to fight for the title?

Err, easy tiger lol the 3rd Driver could still race for the drivers championship just not the constructors to keep it equal.

Every year sees a different dominance by a team whether it be Ferrari, Mclaren, Brawn, Red Bull and this year Mercedes - I have no problem seeing 3 drivers in the same car fighting equally, rather than say Rosberg/Hamilton and then Bottas/Ricciardo in third who can never win or even come second unless the first two cars crash or explode. 

I agree the points thing would take some thinking through but the gap between the front and the back of the grid is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

Hulkenberg will take part in the 24 hours of Le Mans for Porsche. I've also seen rumors suggesting that Alonso may have a similar deal with McLaren, which would let him drive for Porsche at Le Mans.

Glad double points have been dropped.

Still dislike the three-car team idea.

Kudos to Mercedes on being so good, it's down to the other teams to work hard to close the gap. I really like the way they've gone about things this last season, allowing their drivers to race. Even though it was a one-car domination again it was so much of an improvement on 2013. 

Personally, 2014 has been my least favourite season since I started watching F1 in 2003. I'm just not a fan of the new cars, even if the technology behind the new PU's fascinate me.

I can't see how 2014 was any worse than 2011, 2012 and 2013 when no one could challenge Vettel... At least Rosberg pushed hamilton and that made for an entertaining season

I can't see how 2014 was any worse than 2011, 2012 and 2013 when no one could challenge Vettel... At least Rosberg pushed hamilton and that made for an entertaining season

2012 was a fantastic season. Alonso was incredible and took it right to the final race. There were also 7 different winners in the first 7 races. A massive difference to this season where there were only three different winners all year.

I agree though, I found this season more interesting than either 2011 or 2013.

I enjoyed this season and like the turbo hybrids. It's nice to see F1 cars being closer to cutting edge again. It would have been nice to have more engine manufacturers involved though. At least there will be 4 works teams next year.

Archived