Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Embarrassing chants tonight

Interesting thread, let me put my two pennies worth in.

I fully agree that people are not "plastic" just because they only catch a few games a season. Some people can't afford the time and or money it costs to go week in week out. Fact.

Those who turned up tonight for the first time this season should be welcomed by us all. I personally want our stadium to be full all the time.

What is not acceptable and utterly shameful in my opinion is those who turned up tonight, sat quietly, moaned about the team (who may I remind you have just got us promoted) and then walked out, en mass on 80 minutes.

Thats why the chants started. The chants were justified. Get behind your team, or don't turn up at all.

Spot on.

Leaving 10 minutes early for the sole reason that we're 4-0 down, when the team have just secured Premier League football for next season, is absolutely not justified. We've had a great season and the players deserved some kind of credit at the end of the game.

And it wasn't just L1.

Spot on.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here....

This isn't about leaving 10 minutes early to beat traffic or leaving because we're losing. A large majority of those people would have stayed tonight because we thought there was going to be something at the end of the match. A lap of honour (even if the result wasn't honourable), Pearson speaking on the pitch, I don't know what... but something to acknowledge that the club has just gone up after a decade of trying.

As a group of supporters we were robbed of seeing our team go up on a matchday but the players were also robbed of a bit of recognition for their achievements and any fan in their right mind expecting to see something would be happy to stay the full 90 of a dreadful performance or take a bit longer in that traffic to be there. The ones who wouldn't be are those who thought "might be a bit of a party at the stadium tonight, I'll pop along".

So to those who thought that, it's a valid question: where were you when we were shit?

I don't want to be in a stadium full of people like that because guaranteed they are the kind of people that will be booing and calling for Pearson to be sacked the first poor patch we have. Those who have been there through thick and thin will have loyalty to this manager and this team and will have ultimately more patience having been through the rough.

The reaction they got was perfectly justified and it's no small coincidence that the atmosphere improved 10 fold when those who were there for genuine reasons, because they've been there through the good and the bad, were left to express what it has really meant.

Completely justified at booing plastics. Sell out on a Tuesday night after we just got promoted. Coincidence? Nah.

Left just after the 4th goal. Was it because you 'needed' to go? Not for most.

If you'd been there all season I would have expected you to realise the lads needed some respect shown and appreciation.

I know it makes the club money. But most of them are probably here on the cheap, so don't come back please.

Spot on.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here....

This isn't about leaving 10 minutes early to beat traffic or leaving because we're losing. A large majority of those people would have stayed tonight because we thought there was going to be something at the end of the match. A lap of honour (even if the result wasn't honourable), Pearson speaking on the pitch, I don't know what... but something to acknowledge that the club has just gone up after a decade of trying.

As a group of supporters we were robbed of seeing our team go up on a matchday but the players were also robbed of a bit of recognition for their achievements and any fan in their right mind expecting to see something would be happy to stay the full 90 of a dreadful performance or take a bit longer in that traffic to be there. The ones who wouldn't be are those who thought "might be a bit of a party at the stadium tonight, I'll pop along".

So to those who thought that, it's a valid question: where were you when we were shit?

I don't want to be in a stadium full of people like that because guaranteed they are the kind of people that will be booing and calling for Pearson to be sacked the first poor patch we have. Those who have been there through thick and thin will have loyalty to this manager and this team and will have ultimately more patience having been through the rough.

The reaction they got was perfectly justified and it's no small coincidence that the atmosphere improved 10 fold when those who were there for genuine reasons, because they've been there through the good and the bad, were left to express what it has really meant.

Yep. 100%.

I was at the back of K and the fire drill reaction to the 4th goal was shocking. I'm guessing the last time some of those people went to a game was Scunthorpe '09. If it was one or two fine, you expect that, but I bet a good 4000 people left and that's out of order. We'll get turned over on occasions next season, so the 80 minute brigade had better prepare for some short games.

I'm more embarrassed by people who aren't prepared to stick with the team in our worst moments.

Our worst moments? We were promoted this weekend. Tonight should've been a night of celebration but it was a load of shit, and it was shit before we went a goal down too. Funny how people blame the manner of the game yet completely ignore that it was dire from the off.

Our fans have only been any good this season because we've regularly won. There's been more patience but that's about it. Otherwise we're the total definition of 'sing when you're winning' fanbase. Piss poor.

Really? Sometimes the word embarrassing is flung arond to much, it's a few people singing a song or two, is that really embarrassing for the club? Does anyone really care? Have we become that soft?

I imagine the Brighton fans and media had a good laugh at us last night yes, we celebrate our promotion by laying into our own supporters losing 4-1 and then trying to get on the pitch. As oppose to over using the term,If anything, I'd say that crossing the line between embarrassing and laughing stock. 

EDIT: Although I will say if the chants were exclusively when people started walking out fair enough. I've had to leave games early due to bus times before but I know the majority are more than capable of staying the full 90 and I've never left early unless I literally had to in order to get home. Last night especially there was no excuse. Having looked at it though this thread was started at 9pm so obviously the nob headedness started before that so whoever is saying it was exclusively aimed at those leaving is wrong.

To me the whole idea last night was to support the team and say a big thank you for getting us to the promised land. To that extent, I'd have liked to see more people stay to the end and give the lads a big round of applause and vocal support at the end. I appreciate some people have to leave early for trains etc. but I suggest a fair number left because we were being tonked. I always feel when a team is down is when support is needed most, it's easy to cheer and sing when everything is going your way. Whilst I have reservations about the term 'plastic fan' it does amaze me that some 'fans' can find the time and money to come along when there are good times ahead. I hope next season fans stick with the team as there will be heavy defeats along the way.

Meh. There were people who turned up tonight just because we were promoted, and they wouldn't care what was chanted anyway.

Besides, it's mainly sung by teenagers who haven't got a clue.

I thought the silence and lack of passion for much of the last couple of games considering we've just got promoted is far more embarrassing.

This.

I was in SK1 again, the range and quality of songs contiune to be the downfall. That and we still can't time two sections at the back of SK1 to sing at the same time.

That said, the two blokes (One skinny lad brown hair & one bigger lad short blonde hair) contiune to do an excellent job of keeping that section going.

i wish people will stop calling people plastic fans, i guess i'm classed as a plastic fan only getting to about 7/8 games a season mainly because family, work and cash comes into it. i listen to every saturday game unless im there and most weekday games unless im at work and for the games on sky i dont see the point in going to the game when i have sky sports at home and i could use the money on a game whats not on sky.

my point is i wish people stop calling people plastic fans when things like family work and cash come into play why they cant get there, its not there fault/ my fault we dont have money and time like you die hard fans who go every week.

Interesting thread, let me put my two pennies worth in.

I fully agree that people are not "plastic" just because they only catch a few games a season. Some people can't afford the time and or money it costs to go week in week out. Fact.

Those who turned up tonight for the first time this season should be welcomed by us all. I personally want our stadium to be full all the time.

What is not acceptable and utterly shameful in my opinion is those who turned up tonight, sat quietly, moaned about the team (who may I remind you have just got us promoted) and then walked out, en mass on 80 minutes.

Thats why the chants started. The chants were justified. Get behind your team, or don't turn up at all.

My thoughts exactly.  Technically I'm one of these types of fan as I can only get back from Leeds on certain occasions depending on work / go to as many away games as possible in the north.  No problem with people picking the best nights to show up and no problem people leaving if they've got somewhere else to be.  But the en masse departure as soon as the fourth goal hit the net was quite laughable - the players deserved a better response for the promotion, not the one off poor game.  I also hate chanting at your own fans but to be fair I only heard it at 4-0 - it actually instigated 10 minutes of the best atmosphere I've heard at the KP.

Got some moron behind me in j1 screaming fatty at GTF every time he gets the ball. This 40 year old bloke in his all grey tracky top with his scrubber family are a joke.

I heard him too, bell end. Also some old dick right at the front just screaming nonsense commands to whoever was nearest to him, must have been off-putting during the silent sections of the game

I've been to nearly all home games this season, I'm buying a house in the new year so I wont be getting a season ticket or going to many games next year. I've supported city since I was 8 and I'm now too old to admit. Does that make me plastic when I only come for the Man United game next season? :ph34r: will I get abuse?

To the point about sk1, didnt look great last night. I really wish you'd all congregate with L/K because they were superb.

The ones doing the chanting should be more embarrassed, getting excited that they're better at watching 11 men kick a ball around some grass.

This. These people chanting at other city fans is just bizarre. Ive never encountered such utter pondlife than down at the KP. It puts me off going because of sheer level of cretins that go and call themselves "real fans". It's bloody football and you've had absolutely no part in the teams success.

I dont remember this shitty attitude of our fans down Filbo

It was just frustration. Those chants did happen just before half time but it's understandable when you've got fans expecting a promotion party and then 80% of the crowd sits in silence all game.

Well I think the score line wont have helped that, but I don't really get that argument anyway, if those seats were empty, they're would be no noise coming from them, if that seat has a prawn sandwich munching day tripper in it, it has no noise coming from it, if it's coming from a fan who's only turned up to see us smash Brighton and invade the pitch, there's going to be no noise coming from it after Brighton go one goal up, either which way about it, you've got no noise coming from it. They might not be singing but they certainly aren't stopping you from doing so and they putting money into the club so why do you have to berate them for it. Your not going to get sell out of people who want to turn up every week and sing for 90 minutes that's a pipe dream, it doesn't even happen at Dortmund. 

I wonder if all the animosity and vitriol directed by plebs at our own fans was the cause of frustration not being able to chant homophobic crap at Brighton fans? I think a lot of "real fans" came down all pumped up on hate fuel ready to explode. When they realised that it wouldn't be tolerated and the possibility of jail led to them having no option but to turn their anger on other city fans.

This.

I was in SK1 again, the range and quality of songs contiune to be the downfall. That and we still can't time two sections at the back of SK1 to sing at the same time.

That said, the two blokes (One skinny lad brown hair & one bigger lad short blonde hair) contiune to do an excellent job of keeping that section going.

I get your point about the timing but not sure about the range and quality of songs. I think we sing a good variety of songs. What else would you suggest we try. I'm sure we will give them a go.

I've been to nearly all home games this season, I'm buying a house in the new year so I wont be getting a season ticket or going to many games next year. I've supported city since I was 8 and I'm now too old to admit. Does that make me plastic when I only come for the Man United game next season? :ph34r: will I get abuse?

To the point about sk1, didnt look great last night. I really wish you'd all congregate with L/K because they were superb.

Yes pure plastic I shall nickname you 'Invicta' from now on.

Archived