Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Anybody got any tips on increasing computer speed?

Mine has been running really slow for a while now. Youtube videos play all the sound, but the picture pauses is one of the problems.

Also when i type it gets stuck and then spells things wrong etc..

Any free programmes worth using?

Try CCleaner

Try CCleaner

Already have and it didn't improve :/

There is no malware on it or anything. I think it is a problem with the registry but i have no idea what to do. Used Ccleaner, registry defragmenter and registry cleaner but it's not helping.

Everything on the whole computer is just frustratingly slow!!

Already have and it didn't improve :/

There is no malware on it or anything. I think it is a problem with the registry but i have no idea what to do. Used Ccleaner, registry defragmenter and registry cleaner but it's not helping.

Everything on the whole computer is just frustratingly slow!!

You probably don't want to, but maybe a back up and restore would help?

What's the best / easiest / free way to stick movies on a disc from my laptop ?

If your laptop has a dvd burner this is free and is easy to put avi's onto disc. http://www.koyotesoft.com/audio-software/free-easy-cd-dvd-burner.html Gets about four or five films in avi form onto a dvd.

Not sure what people would use if they want to burn into iso style though.

Anybody got any tips on increasing computer speed?

Mine has been running really slow for a while now. Youtube videos play all the sound, but the picture pauses is one of the problems.

Also when i type it gets stuck and then spells things wrong etc..

Any free programmes worth using?

You could go ahead and defragment your hard drive.

Usually takes a while to complete the process, though. So I'd advise doing it overnight or on a weekend.

On Friday and until now,I've had some right dodgy emails from unknown sources,with really odd figures and numbers like a program,I've not opened these,but its gone through my address book and sent all of them the same thing ,and then done the same to there address book,as I got some back from friends.The school pointed out to my daughter that these were harmful.ive done a full virus scan that took an hour and the result was NOTHING found.

Hard for me to explain im afraid,as its a subject i struggle with ,but does anyone have any experience of this,know what it is or can help.Please answer as if to a 5 year old please.

you haven't been hacked or anything, its a just a type of spam, its possible something has been changed in your account which allows this to happen (its not as if someone has your account details)

changing the password will stop it, make sure its a strong one

dont click on any unwanted items in your inbox/junk box

or

use another email service

You could also right click on one of the dodgy emails and mark it as Spam, or add the sender to a 'Blacklist' so that future emails go straight to your Spam folder or Deleted folder without appearing in your inbox. Often though the sender or email title change with a random number so that it makes it hard to auto-spam them. If this is the case try to set the domain name as spam (the ending of the email address - eg '@hotmail.com').

Never open the emails, but right clicking them should give you some options. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

If anyone can help, will e most appreciated.

My wondows 8 is fats heading toward "vista" levels.. ie... pile of sh!t that is good for fvck all grrrrrrrrr

anyhoo, for some reason it seems that the svc host is often sucking 90% of the disc and then everything freezes. Does anyone have any idea why it would be so high usage.. or what can do?

Thnaks in advance

Anyone know if it's possible to connect some USB headphones to my phone using an adapter?

I guess I'd need a female USB (for the headset to plug into) to male 3.5mm (to then plug into the phone).

I'm just not sure whether it exists or not :P HELP!

• 1 month later...

Have any of you ever used a SATA (or even IDE) to USB converter to connect an internal hard drive on one computer to another? My old PC (with dual hard drives) is dead, but I'm 99% sure I can salvage the media files I had on the old PC and move them to the new one (I have something like 200GB of music on my old PC that I'd really not have to find/burn/download again).

My old PC was running XP, but if I get a new PC today, it will probably come with Windows 8, so getting used to that is another story entirely. But do any of you have any tips or advice on how to go about this?