Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

Is there a term for people who are obviously English but take advantage of a minor claim to being foreign and use it as an excuse for being a bit unpopular at school like the doctor on here, and you?

:thumbup: ..that was kinda what I was getting at. I can't take Englishmen, who leave the Country, and then start slagging England off in whatever way they can. Rubbish food, rubbish climate, 'we' are so much better... blah di blah..

He's Swiss

Always has been Swiss

Always will be Swiss

Even lives in Switzerland I think. Was most certainly born there.

Eh? Chelsea..

I rest my case. One run of playing like Greece did in Euro 2004 masks the fact we've been crap in Europe compared to the Spaniards and Germans for years. Fair play to them for actually pulling it off but it hardly gives weight to them being a stronger side than the others.

So the South Korean manager resigns after getting 1 point at the World Cup.

Yet the England manager sees no reason not to continue.

Have you seen what the attitude towards any kind of failure over here is? High school students jump from bridges after failing their exams, for pity's sake. The Prime Minister offered to resign over a ferry disaster that had nothing to do with him. It's been a manager revolving door since Hiddink left, really.

I'd like to think we're a little more tolerant of not meeting the exacting and often ridiculous standards that some people expect and willing to give someone another chance. Especially when the defence involved was as leaky as a fine-make sieve.

Have you seen what the attitude towards any kind of failure over here is? High school students jump from bridges after failing their exams, for pity's sake. The Prime Minister offered to resign over a ferry disaster that had nothing to do with him. It's been a manager revolving door since Hiddink left, really.

I'd like to think we're a little more tolerant of not meeting the exacting and often ridiculous standards that some people expect and willing to give someone another chance. Especially when the defence involved was as leaky as a fine-make sieve.

I respect managers who resign after failing. Without being given the push, so to speak. Its an admittance that, probably despite their best efforts, they have failed to achieve their targets. They admit this, they move on.

I've actually lost all respect for Roy Hodgson. Despite all the preparation, all the psychologists, great training facilities, greatfoodd etc.. he HAS failed himself and his country.

Sure, we can discuss whether the players were good enough, how we will do in two years time and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. For me, for this tournament, this one tournament, Hodgson has failed.

So what happens now? Do we get an explanation? Do we get some sort of apology? No. All we get is some lame chat after the Costa Rica game and Greg Dyche (however you spell it?) jumping immediately to Hodgson's defence in terms of he will remain the England manager.

Like Hodgson or not, like his tactics or selections, or not, THIS is the part that I disrespect the most. Effectively, its almost like, 'I'll take my 3.5 million per year' and sod the consequences. Thats how I feel towards it.

I'm not saying replace him. Frankly, who with? But to appear to show such little humility in defeat is what gets my goat the most.

I think, yes with the benefit of hindsight, the writing was on the wall in the pre tournament friendlies. We looked tired and jaded then. This then spilled over into the tournament proper.

And nothing I've read or seen since, makes me think otherwise.

Pre tournament, I had us for not making it out of the group. Then when I saw Italy and Uruguay play, I felt we had a real shout. We didn't take it and history will record us crashing out of the World Cup for the first time in over half a century. I think thats pretty indefensible as is the failure to openly analyse it, with much other than a 'well we're shite anyway'.

Lowest ranking in 18 years, 20th!

People still think Roy Hodgson is the man to lead England, get him gone now.

To what extent is the manager responsible for the choice of (literally pointless) friendlies? Does he make the pick or isn't it rather a panel?

Again, putting the blame on Hodgson is very simplistic.

Also, how anyone can take the current FIFA ranking system serious, is beyond me.

Switzerland got laughed at for being in the Top Six! lol

It's a good system, but needs to be improved to truly reflect some kind of power rankings.

To what extent is the manager responsible for the choice of (literally pointless) friendlies? Does he make the pick or isn't it rather a panel?

Also, how anyone can take the current FIFA ranking system serious, is beyond me.

Switzerland got laughed at for being in the Top Six! lol

It's a good system, but needs to be improved to truly reflect some kind of power rankings.

We don't play pointless friendlies.

No Friendlies are pointless, they get you up the rankings, the rankings get you seeded, seedings get you out of groups easier, Please see Switzerland

Correct.

Italy wasted their time playing San Marino and it probably cost them a top seed in the World Cup (which in turn might have cost England a place in the last 16....)

No Friendlies are pointless, they get you up the rankings, the rankings get you seeded, seedings get you out of groups easier, Please see Switzerland

The pre World Cup friendlies weren't pointless to me. They enabled me to see that England weren't gonna progress out of their group and lay a bet on it.

:P

We don't play our best players, so you ain't gonna win anything. That's my biggest gripe with Hodgson.

We also let in four pathetic goals, all errors - two free headers, a division three type corner and a keeper who dived out of the way.

Even though some of the players let him down big time, I think Hodgson should go. His big problem is organising the defence, if you can't do that, you are basically stuffed. A team like Italy, Germany, Holland would expect to keep a clean sheet in Switzerland and then sneak a goal or two - cannot see England doing this with the current back five. They give the lads up front no confidence.

Still will be renewing my England Travel Club membership and hoping for some glory before I die. But at least I did get to see the 1966 match, albeit in black and white, on our old 405. I just hope my sons get to experience England winning something in their life times.

Finally, friendlies aren't pointless in terms of rankings, but they do seem to be in terms of developing players because most players seem to drop out. Plus the last few games at Wembley, bar the Scotland game have been incredibly boring. It does seem wrong getting ranking points when some teams play a virtual reserve side, surely this devalues the entire system. Since the early 1990's we used to go to all games, but now only go to qualifiers.

He's the manager who is picking the sides/squads for these friendlies that we have failed in.

I was more referring to the fact that you ought to choose wisely whom you play if as a national football association, you're that much into the FIFA rankings.

I always thought you should pick your friendlies according to the qualification group opponents, play a team from a similar region with a similar style of play.

Klinsmann has a 4 year contract with the States and Neville has been coaching for about 2 years

A manager never broke his contract before then? Or a manager never gone straight into a managers job without experience? Wait, didn't Jurgen Klinsmann go straight into management being the Germany manager in 2004? They're all rhetorical questions by the way.

Guest MattP

Klinsmann isn't leaving the US anytime soon. He absolutely loves it there by the sounds of it.

He's being paid well to live and work in a country he wants to live in for free.

A manager never broke his contract before then? Or a manager never gone straight into a managers job without experience? Wait, didn't Jurgen Klinsmann go straight into management being the Germany manager in 2004? They're all rhetorical questions by the way.

and anyone with a brain has always said the tactics and details during his Germany stint were done by Joachim Low

Archived