cc_star Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Before I start... Yes, yes, I know the transfer window has only been open a week & the World Cup itself means the transfer merry-go-round will start later than usual this close season so there's plenty of time for stuff to happen But... The step up to the Premier League will most likely mean we won't have possession advantage like much of last season & it will almost certainly mean that we don't have overwhelming possession advantage in the final 3rd, where Drinkwater & co were so devastating last season as our chances created frequently dwarfed the opposition's. By default this means our ability to break with pace could be essential to picking up points & our loss of Dyer on the wing means we're hampered in our ability to do this. Now I'm under no illusions that Dyer was the greatest thing since sliced bread, yes his crossing was often poor & finishing wayward, but he had pace to burn & often in the Prem it's the pace that makes you the opportunities. Arguably Dyer has been our best player against Prem opposition in recent years, most notably in tearing through Man City's defence. And regardless of his attacking form every single game he put a shift in, covering the fullback pretty effectively. I'm sure Albrighton can be coached & given the motivation to do the same, but he's hardly known for his pace instead being better known for his crossing ability. Crossing is something we don't really have a forward who can take advantage of. Nugent & Vardy are far better with balls to run on to, or with the ball at their feet & running into the box, drawing fouls or more often creating opportunity - which then with the likes of Drinkwater, James, Mahrez & Knockaert about offering the kind of final 3rd possession with overwhelming numbers around the opposition box, we took advantage of to great effect in winning the Championship! I'm of the opinion the signing of Albrighton, coupled with the departure of Dyer causes problems for our all round game which proved so successful for us, sure we might sign a bigger front man to take advantage of this, but then we lose the phenomenal workrate of Nugent or Vardy's turn of pace Anyway, I'm sure NP will get it sorted, even though his efforts are hindered by our wage structure meaning we're already moving on to his 4th & 5th choice targets
Nick Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 I see what you're saying. For me last year we were very one dimensional. When we mucked about with it and made subs and changed formation from our winning set up, we looked vulnerable and often quite weak in comparison. If we don't change the personnel significantly imo we have to be brave and go play our own game at a high tempo with very fit players. It's not that Pearson doesn't have a Plan B - it's that we didn't have the players to make plan B work to a high standard. The whole Hammond, GTF one up front never worked for us last season in any huge way against far weaker opposition than we will face this season. I think we'll play Mahrez on the left and Albrighton on the right wing and Knocky will be a sub - Drinky and James in the middle and two strikers (I don't care if thats 4411 with a new striker or 442) because that's how this team seems to play best. Play to your strength and win the games you can, play to your weakness out of fear in this league and you'll lose 2-0 every week.
Silverdaz Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 I think its going to be 4-3-3 with Mahrez one wing, Vardy the other and a big target man in the middle (Ulloa???) with either Hammon or king coming in as the third midfielder
Ric Flair Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Both very valid posts and against PL opposition I think we'll have our best chance at success on the counter attack. It's what this squad is most comfortable playing but we must make sure we've as much pace as possible in the team. Losing Dyer is a bit of a blow but he'd also be massively frustrating against wiser defenders. Mahrez could be very good next season as he continues his development in England, but one more rapid player wouldn't go amiss. Albrighton's crossing ability will hopefully be utilized by a new striker whose strengths lie in attacking crosses, Ulloa certainly fits that bill so does Wickham.
Captain... Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Before I start... Yes, yes, I know the transfer window has only been open a week & the World Cup itself means the transfer merry-go-round will start later than usual this close season so there's plenty of time for stuff to happen But... The step up to the Premier League will most likely mean we won't have possession advantage like much of last season & it will almost certainly mean that we don't have overwhelming possession advantage in the final 3rd, where Drinkwater & co were so devastating last season as our chances created frequently dwarfed the opposition's. Why? Look at Southampton and Swansea, they got promoted and decided they were going to continue to play the way they had done to get there. Against the top 6 we won't be able to dominate the game and posession, but we need to beat the other 13 teams in the league and we should be looking to impose our game on Hull, Sunderland, Villa, West Ham, Burnley etc It would be interesting to see if NP has decided he wants to play differently against the big boys, tight at the back, lone target man, get some crosses and set-pieces onto his head to nick a goal. We'll see, but we shouldn't be scared of taking the game to the second tier Prem teams.
kingfox Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 We need variety next season, we need to combat how other sides play. Play the wrong formation especially against the top teams, we will get overrun & more than likely we will be on the end of a complete hiding. I'd play 4-3-2-1 against the more able teams we need a defensive structure in midfield, or we will get dominated & overrun too many times, & 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 against the less able teams(the teams we are more capable of beating), attack them with pace & guile, we could end up having a field day, especially at home. 4-4-2 I don't see working for us in the Premier League, it may work with Man City, but of course that's Man City.
Stadt Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 I think a lot of our dominance was due to form, next season we won't be able to string together many consecutive wins and I'm slightly afraid our players will struggle for consistency. What we will benefit from though is the fact the majority of teams will attack us.
Jace Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 We will definately will need to adapt, what I like the idea of is us and Nigel Pearson tactically I think have great potential as a counter attacking side in the Premiership.
Nick Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 We need variety next season, we need to combat how other sides play. Play the wrong formation especially against the top teams, we will get overrun & more than likely we will be on the end of a complete hiding. I'd play 4-3-2-1 against the more able teams we need a defensive structure in midfield, or we will get dominated & overrun too many times, & 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 against the less able teams(the teams we are more capable of beating), attack them with pace & guile, we could end up having a field day, especially at home. 4-4-2 I don't see working for us in the Premier League, it may work with Man City, but of course that's Man City. Sounds great but we played one formation well last season - chopping and changing formations every week will see us relegated in my opinion - the players need to play together in a consistent manner and develop understanding and partnerships.
Bryn Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 As others have said, we will likely defend in numbers and play on the counter. Nugent and Knockaert will probably be the victims of this change.
Guest Col city fan Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Before I start... Yes, yes, I know the transfer window has only been open a week & the World Cup itself means the transfer merry-go-round will start later than usual this close season so there's plenty of time for stuff to happen But... The step up to the Premier League will most likely mean we won't have possession advantage like much of last season & it will almost certainly mean that we don't have overwhelming possession advantage in the final 3rd, where Drinkwater & co were so devastating last season as our chances created frequently dwarfed the opposition's. By default this means our ability to break with pace could be essential to picking up points & our loss of Dyer on the wing means we're hampered in our ability to do this. Now I'm under no illusions that Dyer was the greatest thing since sliced bread, yes his crossing was often poor & finishing wayward, but he had pace to burn & often in the Prem it's the pace that makes you the opportunities. Arguably Dyer has been our best player against Prem opposition in recent years, most notably in tearing through Man City's defence. And regardless of his attacking form every single game he put a shift in, covering the fullback pretty effectively. I'm sure Albrighton can be coached & given the motivation to do the same, but he's hardly known for his pace instead being better known for his crossing ability. Crossing is something we don't really have a forward who can take advantage of. Nugent & Vardy are far better with balls to run on to, or with the ball at their feet & running into the box, drawing fouls or more often creating opportunity - which then with the likes of Drinkwater, James, Mahrez & Knockaert about offering the kind of final 3rd possession with overwhelming numbers around the opposition box, we took advantage of to great effect in winning the Championship! I'm of the opinion the signing of Albrighton, coupled with the departure of Dyer causes problems for our all round game which proved so successful for us, sure we might sign a bigger front man to take advantage of this, but then we lose the phenomenal workrate of Nugent or Vardy's turn of pace Anyway, I'm sure NP will get it sorted, even though his efforts are hindered by our wage structure meaning we're already moving on to his 4th & 5th choice targets Good post CC but do you really think Nige will 'get it sorted'?This sounds more like an 'I'm worried' kinda post, initiated by the 'before I start' type comment. Then it really goes on to say we shouldn't have sold Dyer? And that we don't have a striker we can cross to and we are hamstrung by the wage structure? That's how I'm reading it.... I genuinely think it's far too early to tell anything very much. We don't know the targets Pearson has in mind.. We DO know that Burnley are strengthening (though they needed to). Despite vehement argument otherwise I don't think QPR have made a single signing yet, though Arry will dip in for sure. The next team who are bookies faves for relegation are Palace, but I think they have far more chance of staying up than say, Villa..who are in free-fall. For me, the fixture list has been unkind. It lobs us in at the deep end immediately and I hear today that Arsenal, for example, are shelling out 32 million for Sanchez. This is so hard to compete with. I'm just gonna wait and see, have no expectations but would like to see the squad strengthened further. Tactically, I have no clue how we will play whatsoever. I assume that we will stick with the quick, countering type game. But if this doesn't work, what then? No idea.
cc_star Posted 8 July 2014 Author Posted 8 July 2014 Good post CC but do you really think Nige will 'get it sorted'? This sounds more like an 'I'm worried' kinda post, initiated by the 'before I start' type comment. Then it really goes on to say we shouldn't have sold Dyer? And that we don't have a striker we can cross to and we are hamstrung by the wage structure? That's how I'm reading it.... I genuinely think it's far too early to tell anything very much. We don't know the targets Pearson has in mind.. We DO know that Burnley are strengthening (though they needed to). Despite vehement argument otherwise I don't think QPR have made a single signing yet, though Arry will dip in for sure. The next team who are bookies faves for relegation are Palace, but I think they have far more chance of staying up than say, Villa..who are in free-fall. For me, the fixture list has been unkind. It lobs us in at the deep end immediately and I hear today that Arsenal, for example, are shelling out 32 million for Sanchez. This is so hard to compete with. I'm just gonna wait and see, have no expectations but would like to see the squad strengthened further. Tactically, I have no clue how we will play whatsoever. I assume that we will stick with the quick, countering type game. But if this doesn't work, what then? No idea. I'm worried Although I do think the signings of Drinkwater, James, De Laet, Mahrez & maybe Knockaert will prove to be crucial... not just because it's a good number of our 1st 11, but because they are cracking players who were (probably purposefully) bought at the right 20-21yo age to grow & improve as individuals and through that the team to grow & improve collectively There's no reason why we can't replicate Southampton & before them Swansea, as mentioned elsewhere we're a much, much better side than the likes Hull & Palace were
Guest Col city fan Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 I'm worried Although I do think the signings of Drinkwater, James, De Laet, Mahrez & maybe Knockaert will prove to be crucial... not just because it's a good number of our 1st 11, but because they are cracking players who were (probably purposefully) bought at the right 20-21yo age to grow & improve as individuals and through that the team to grow & improve collectively There's no reason why we can't replicate Southampton & before them Swansea, as mentioned elsewhere we're a much, much better side than the likes Hull & Palace were I agree, absolutely no reason why whatsoever. As I said though, the fixture list is a bastad. Football is about ability but also about confidence. If we go through that early run and struggle, it may shape the season. Conversely, win a few of those early ones and we could have ourselves a very productive first term back.
Dan Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 A very well thought out post and I agree. I get the hint he's in no mood to throw away our domination game though - I honestly do believe that can still prove effective against some of the other bottom sides. Only a select few, obviously, but people shouldn't under-estimate this team or over-estimate the bottom half of the Premier League. A well thought out post either way though. Maybe we'll see some 4-3-3 with Vardy on the left and Mahrez on the right.
GingerrrFox Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the 3-5-2 make a comeback. Yes we didn't have the free flowing football that made us take the Championship by storm but it did make us very solid and hard to beat. That will be invaluable against the big clubs and it would still allow Nigel to play with 2 strikers which he is a big fan of.
Dan Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 We played 3-5-2 twice. First half at Middlesbrough (largely second best to a crap side) and played out a 0-0 with Leeds. We were absolutely crap in that formation.
GingerrrFox Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 We played 3-5-2 twice. First half at Middlesbrough (largely second best to a crap side) and played out a 0-0 with Leeds. We were absolutely crap in that formation. We played 3-5-2 in both halves against Middlesbrough. Won 1 and drew 1 is hardly terrible.
Corky Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Pearson said he's going to attack and entertain next season, we seem comfortable on the ball and counter attack well, I think a change to a more negative side would be a backward step so we're right to continue with our current style.
Oxfordfox83 Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Personally, I think we have the personnel and discipline to adopt a German-style approach next season, lots of quick passing, fast, direct midfielders playing for the team and bombing on. In fact I'm so confident I've just put a tenner on us to win 7-1 at the Etihad. Hope we don't ruin it with a clean sheet...
Stadt Posted 8 July 2014 Posted 8 July 2014 Personally*, I think we have the personnel** and discipline to adopt a German-style approach next season, lots of quick passing, fast, direct midfielders playing for the team and bombing on. In fact I'm so confident I've just put a tenner on us to win 7-1 at the Etihad. Hope we don't ruin it with a clean sheet... *Pearsonally**Pearsonnel
Dan Posted 9 July 2014 Posted 9 July 2014 We played 3-5-2 in both halves against Middlesbrough. Won 1 and drew 1 is hardly terrible. Pretty sure we changed it in the second half but I may be wrong. If it was that good then why did we bin it off? Won 1 drew 1 is hardly terrible but it's hardly ground breaking evidence that it's any good. Play to our strengths. If 4-4-2 gets the best from this team then play it. There's no obligation to stick 3 in central midfield and if teams are going to beat us in that regard then surely we have an extra man on the opposition somewhere.
Grewks Posted 9 July 2014 Posted 9 July 2014 Football is often a game of fine margins. There are 11 men on each side, they can each only achieve capabilities of a 'ordinary human' and therefore any team is capable of beating any other. The world cup is a fine example of proving just how fine margins are and just how insignificant tactics can be. Chile played in a unique style which had rarely been seen before and won many admirers - but ultimately lost to a tactically clueless brazil. Where as Germany played in a very simple manner, the traditional 'war machine efficiency' approach and tore apart Brazil. Tactics are not as important as people believe Liverpool were the most entertaining side last year playing a 4-3-3, man city were the most effective playing a 4-4-2. Athletico madrid won their league playing a 4-4-2 where as Barca and Real were runners up playing a 4-3-3. Whereas Bayern tore their league apart yet again playing a 4-3-3 similar formation to barcelona. There are so many other factors to consider than just the tactical approach, meaning it really is not as significant as people make out. Personnel is far more important for example.
Guest Col city fan Posted 9 July 2014 Posted 9 July 2014 *Pearsonally **Pearsonnel Why on earth do that? A joke? Have you nowt better to do than that?
DANGEROUS TIGER Posted 9 July 2014 Posted 9 July 2014 We kick off the season at the deep end, and are likely to struggle. However, after those initial matches things appear less difficult. A number of posters have stated that we are unlucky to have such difficult openers, but I feel it will be a good thing, testing the water the hard way. We will know what this league is all about, and will see our weaknesses exposed, giving the manager time to work on them. An extremely hard start, and however we cope, the team and manager will need our fans backing.
cc_star Posted 10 July 2014 Author Posted 10 July 2014 We kick off the season at the deep end, and are likely to struggle. However, after those initial matches things appear less difficult. A number of posters have stated that we are unlucky to have such difficult openers, but I feel it will be a good thing, testing the water the hard way. We will know what this league is all about, and will see our weaknesses exposed, giving the manager time to work on them. An extremely hard start, and however we cope, the team and manager will need our fans backing. What I think of about tough starts is Swansea's performance of a year or two ago They were widely respected at the end of the season as be a good side (a great one in comparison to promoted teams usual performances) I think they even won a couple of games, but they lost something like the next 8 and went through a quarter of the season with just those 2 wins on the board. They finished 9th We will lose games, we need to hold our nerve (especially us fans), support the players and as long as they go the extra mile for each other on the pitch we do have the ability to get over 40pts
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.