Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Are we strong enough?

The gap is between the top half and bottom half of the Premier League, not between the Premier League and Championship.

We're going to concede goals, it's not ideal but it's due to the way we play. It's actually nice to see a side playing positive football. We created loads of chances last season but never had someone clinical enough to finish them off. You could say we under-performed in that respect. Yes, we should've won the league by more points. We have now hopefully solved this issue by bringing in a poacher, Ulloa. We're going to create fewer chances but at least we've got someone who's more capable of taking them.

As for defence, am I right in thinking that most the goals we conceded were from crosses and 'mistakes'? This was happening with any and every combination of defensive line we put out. I don't think the issue is with any particular player but instead with the way they were told to play. I would question the communication between the back line. Wes Morgan is a terrific player but is he a terrific captain? I don't think so.

The gap is between the top half and bottom half of the Premier League, not between the Premier League and Championship.

We're going to concede goals, it's not ideal but it's due to the way we play. It's actually nice to see a side playing positive football. We created loads of chances last season but never had someone clinical enough to finish them off. You could say we under-performed in that respect. Yes, we should've won the league by more points. We have now hopefully solved this issue by bringing in a poacher, Ulloa. We're going to create fewer chances but at least we've got someone who's more capable of taking them.

As for defence, am I right in thinking that most the goals we conceded were from crosses and 'mistakes'? This was happening with any and every combination of defensive line we put out. I don't think the issue is with any particular player but instead with the way they were told to play. I would question the communication between the back line. Wes Morgan is a terrific player but is he a terrific captain? I don't think so.

Good post, not sure about the last bit

People are talking about strength in depth, and I have to agree, quality in reserve is our biggest problem.

I think the starting 11 are good enough to compete, and probably 2 or 3 subs that are good enough, but if we get injuries to any of them, we are going to struggle, like to see a decent cover for right back, a decent cover for midfield, and if a decent striker becomes available, I would take him, but up front we should be ok.

A starting left back is needed but agreed otherwise... what happens in January should Mahrez go to the ACON and one of Knockaert/Albrighton are in poor form or injured? We need another wide option, I'm not happy with playing Vardy out there after last seasons turnaround in form, seems a waste.

Honestly, no. We need strengthening at the back. The midfield is fine at the moment but if James gets injured we'll struggle. We may be able to cope with Drinkwater out for a short while if Pearson decides to push Knockaert into the centre but I fear he'll just set us up very defensively instead if that issue was to arise.

Up front - as far as I'm concerned, our options haven't really improved. Replacing Wood with Ulloa isn't exactly a massive step up.

The core of our side from last season is very promising, but we knew there would be places we needed to  improve for the step up (left back, bench options, set pieces, the general strengthening of the squad). For me we're not quite there yet, there's still a bit of work to do before I'd be comfortable with the squad of players we have.

The idea of Hammond starting games worries me.

This transfer window is a disaster. No right back cover, Left back is a big problem and no cover if Danny picks up a knock. King is not creative and Hammond is no where near prem league.I just hope Liam can step up because the other three CB lack pace and i fear Wes will have problems with step up.

This transfer window is a disaster. No right back cover, Left back is a big problem and no cover if Danny picks up a knock. King is not creative and Hammond is no where near prem league.I just hope Liam can step up because the other three CB lack pace and i fear Wes will have problems with step up.

I'm a big fan of Nige but there's no doubt he'll live or die by our success this season. I'm surprised at our transfer activity this summer but I was last summer and look how that turned out.

I have faith that he knows what he's doing and he must have plenty of faith in the current crop of players. I'm excited to see if they can make the step up

would appreciate your reasons

but thanks for the support

You've posted it about 10 times In the last 24 hours. You don't need to post it anymore.

I haven't indicated whether I think it's a good idea or not, much like most people.

De Laet's crossing is awful, so there's your answer.

I can't understand the clamouring for "proven premier league players" like who? Who could we realistically tempt away from a proven premiership side who is going to want a reasonable wage whilst sharing Pearson's visions and having a decent attitude and fitting in with the team ethos?

You've posted it about 10 times In the last 24 hours. You don't need to post it anymore.

I haven't indicated whether I think it's a good idea or not, much like most people.

posted it hoping for a discussion .. still waiting

living in hope

De Laet's crossing is awful, so there's your answer.

I can't understand the clamouring for "proven premier league players" like who? Who could we realistically tempt away from a proven premiership side who is going to want a reasonable wage whilst sharing Pearson's visions and having a decent attitude and fitting in with the team ethos?

his crossing is awful ?

really ? ... 

looks like a good midfield player to me, at least as an option for different formations

step up Ritchie 

his crossing is awful ?

really ? ...

looks like a good midfield player to me, at least as an option for different formations

step up Ritchie

The majority of his crosses, even in that video, end up hitting the other team's defence at about knee height

The majority of his crosses, even in that video, end up hitting the other team's defence at about knee height

3 in this video were pinpoint to the feet of a lcfc goalscorer, but good point on being low !

1 was wayward

The best way of measuring whether we are strong enough is by taking our key players, and judging who would replace them were they to be injured and if they are good enough to succeed at this level.

Our defence looks very suspect, it was dubious last season against some very mediocre sides and if you look at how many we shipped against Man City's fringe team, Fulham and Stoke it makes me nervous going in to this season having bought only one extra defender, whom hasn't even trained yet this pre-season.

If Drinkwater or James got injured we would suffer quite signifcantly, if both were to be missing it would be catastrophic for us. Central midfield is an area that is essential we re-inforce. King might be ok but Hammond will struggle in my opinion.

I think we're ok up front, I certainly wouldn't be focusing our recruitment on strikers right now, that is an added luxury if and when other areas of our squad are improved. Likewise out wide we seem ok.

Look at the bookies odds again..

We remain third favourites for relegation, after Burnley and QPR.

That suggests, to me, that we've not done enough, in terms of signings, to push us nearer to Villa, West Brom and the like.

Whether this is something the bookies typically do each season ie. Make the promoted teams favourites for relegation, I don't know? But how things stand NOW, we are third faves for the drop.

Personally, I think Villa could really struggle. And West Ham too.

Answered your own question there.

Bookies odds mean absolutely nothing, especially when we are a completely unknown quantity as a PL side. The bookies haven't got a scooby about how the likes of Vardy, Ulloa, James, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Mahrez, Moore, Wasilewski, Morgan et al will perform in the Premier League - we haven't even got a clue and we watch them week in, week out.

It's easy to make teams like Leicester and Burnley favourites for relegation because the bookies don't know enough about us and assume that because we've not signed 10 players with 'Premier League experience' that we'll struggle, when in reality no-one has a clue how we'll do. It's an easy, lazy assumption to make. We might not be favourites to stay up this season, but I highly doubt we were favourites to win the league at a canter last season either - and look what happened then?

So yeah, we might not have done enough in the transfer market to convince the bookies that we'll stay up, they might put us as third favourites for relegation, but does that mean we're automatically going to struggle this season? Of course not! We might push on and finish top ten, we might lose every single game and bomb out of the PL, but we won't know until that final whistle blows at the end of the season.

his crossing is awful ?

really ? ... 

step up Ritchie 

If this video had been of a right-back playing in the Eredivisie for FC Twente then half our fans would be clamouring for us to sign him up.

But cos it's De Laet it's "his crossing was at knee height"!

"Familiarity breeds contempt" as they say.

The best way of measuring whether we are strong enough is by taking our key players, and judging who would replace them were they to be injured and if they are good enough to succeed at this level.

Our defence looks very suspect, it was dubious last season against some very mediocre sides and if you look at how many we shipped against Man City's fringe team, Fulham and Stoke it makes me nervous going in to this season having bought only one extra defender, whom hasn't even trained yet this pre-season.

If Drinkwater or James got injured we would suffer quite signifcantly, if both were to be missing it would be catastrophic for us. Central midfield is an area that is essential we re-inforce. King might be ok but Hammond will struggle in my opinion.

I think we're ok up front, I certainly wouldn't be focusing our recruitment on strikers right now, that is an added luxury if and when other areas of our squad are improved. Likewise out wide we seem ok.

That's a good point, if we were to lose James and De Laet at the same time those two positions would become significantly weaker.

I can only assume Pearson/Robinson have some loans lined up. Loan deals usually aren't done until secured until teams have confirmed their squads up till Jan, so maybe we will get 2/3 loan players in from the top 5/6 clubs to compete/cover in the areas where we are weak.

•  

• 01 Hart
  • 05 Zabaleta (Boyata - 12' Booked )
  • 13 Kolarov
  • 17 Rodwell
  • 04 Kompany
  • 06 Lescott
  • 15 Jesús Navas Booked
  • 14 Javi García
  • 10 Dzeko
  • 21 Silva (Nasri - 70' )
  • 07 Milner

Wasn't too shabby a side to be fair pal....

•  

• 01 Hart
  • 05 Zabaleta (Boyata - 12' Booked )
  • 13 Kolarov
  • 17 Rodwell
  • 04 Kompany
  • 06 Lescott
  • 15 Jesús Navas Booked
  • 14 Javi García
  • 10 Dzeko
  • 21 Silva (Nasri - 70' )
  • 07 Milner

Wasn't too shabby a side to be fair pal....

Man City would find it difficult not to field a good team, their squad is ridiculous. Our defence makes me very nervous

Man City would find it difficult not to field a good team, their squad is ridiculous. Our defence makes me very nervous

Defence is the one area that worries me too. I think a lot will depend on Moore.

Personally I would have liked to see us get another CB like Caulker or Bassong from Norwich. Was is knocking on a bit but he’s played countless games for Poland so he should be able to take his form into the Prem. Morgan will be solid enough.

De Laet I am very confident in, and Schlupp I think will surprise a lot of people.

Almost every team will struggle against man city

The games against the top teams won't decide our fate

Our defensive frailties will still be exposed against even the likes of West Brom and Villa. We shipped 3 vs Fulham at home last season and they were honking. I am astounded that as a defender himself, Pearson hasn't had us sound at the back since he returned in his 2nd spell. Our ability to defend from set pieces is embarrassing. I know we pissed the league last season and i'm not arguing about that, but there are always room for improvement and defensively we are weak. It will be shown this season against many different sides.

Archived